• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
e_prime

Voynov pleads "No Contest" to Domestic Violence Charge

Rate this topic

...receives slap on wrist.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/slava-voynov-pleads-no-contest-to-domestic-violence-charge-gets-jail-time/

Los Angeles Kings defenseman Slava Voynov has pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of corporal injury to a spouse, according to published reports.

The sentence for that plea includes 90 days in jail, three years of probation, a 52-week domestic violence course, eight hours of community service and a $700 fine according to reporters covering the court action.

“No contest” in legal terms is not an admission of guilt, but an acceptance of the charges brought against the defendant.

Though the recent voiding of Mike Richards’ contract by the Kings had twitter buzzing about what Voynov’s case means for his contract in Los Angeles, it’s naturally too early to speculate.

One of the other big questions involving Voynov’s future involves deportation, since he is a Russian national working in the United States. According to reporter Rich Hammond, the judge said that would be a matter for an immigration judge to decide.

Voynov’s wife, Marta Varlamova, refused to testify against her husband and at one point, was facing contempt of court charges, even though she was the alleged victim. After some legal wrangling, she chose to seek domestic violence counseling instead, getting help from the NHLPA.

When you look at the fine etc. in light of what he has as a professional athlete, it seems like nothing. Since it's a standard punishment, it's a one-size-fits-all kind of thing. It would be a big deal to any of us.

Still frosts me that they go after the wife. She deserves a get-out-of-jail-free card. This is why women don't go to the cops.

90 days in jail, 3 years of probation, a full year of counseling... Am I the only one that thinks this was handled properly?

No, I agree with the sentence. Also, it's almost guaranteed that he'll lose his job and never play in the NHL again. Hopefully he uses his time in counseling to better himself.

He won't serve 90-days... if he does, it'll be min. security, house arrest or half-way house type situation I'm sure.

The probation and counseling are appropriate.

Thing that is a head scratcher for me. 8 hours of community service?

How skipping the 90 days of meaningless jailtime and give him 2160 hours of community service (90 days x 24 hours) that has to be served at a battered women's shelter.

When you look at the fine etc. in light of what he has as a professional athlete, it seems like nothing. Since it's a standard punishment, it's a one-size-fits-all kind of thing. It would be a big deal to any of us.

Still frosts me that they go after the wife. She deserves a get-out-of-jail-free card. This is why women don't go to the cops.

They threatened her with contempt because she refused to follow the judge's orders and wouldn't cooperate with the investigation. She's either legitimately afraid that Voynov would get to her even if she left him and took off, or she's just a gold digger who will put up with it as long as it means she has plenty of money and nice things.

He won't serve 90-days... if he does, it'll be min. security, house arrest or half-way house type situation I'm sure.

How skipping the 90 days of meaningless jailtime and give him 2160 hours of community service (90 days x 24 hours) that has to be served at a battered women's shelter.

Agreed. His time would probably be better served helping his community than locked in a cage. However the justice system is often more based on vengeance than rehabilitation, as exhibited by some of the knee jerk reactions here.

90 days in jail, 3 years of probation, a full year of counseling... Am I the only one that thinks this was handled properly?

I think the fine and community service could've been much, much higher, but otherwise, yes.

They threatened her with contempt because she refused to follow the judge's orders and wouldn't cooperate with the investigation. She's either legitimately afraid that Voynov would get to her even if she left him and took off, or she's just a gold digger who will put up with it as long as it means she has plenty of money and nice things.

There are a lot more possible reasons than just those two things.

The guy is a huge dirtbag and deserves everything he got and probably more.

I doubt very much that "forced" counseling will accomplish anything, and if she stays and gets it again then,

enjoy.

You're talking out of your ass.

First of all, since he'll be serving time in jail, not prison, there is no such thing as minimum or maximum security. There's just jail. It's the same for everybody. And LA County's main facility, the Twin Towers, is no joke. Unless he PC's up, he'll be spending his 90 days in a 80 man cell full of gang bangers, drug addicts, and murders awaiting trial.

Speaking of those 90 days, since his crime is violent in nature he would be ineligible for any sort of work release program, house arrest or anything of the sort. I'm not certain, but I don't even think he is going to get credit for good behavior. I'd be willing to bet good money that he'll be serving the full 90 days in one of the worst facilities in the nation.

This isn't the 80's or something bro. His lawyer might have gotten him the most favorable outcome possible, but California's DOC takes violent and domestic abuse sentences VERY seriously, and his semi-celebrity status will not buy him any sort of preferential treatment out here.

Edited by Bannedforlife

Here's the flip side to this. If he never plays in the NHL again, how would that be good for his wife and family, since he's the main breadwinner? He should be punished if he's guilty, but much like Ray Rice's wife, I can see her not being happy if his career is over. Maybe it's a Catch 22.

There really are no winners here. The justice system doesn't really care about victims much. All it cares about is punishing the offender.

Of course, maybe they broke up so I don't know all the facts. But even so, I think my concern is a valid one.

Surprised no one chimed in saying we should trade for him as he likes to scrap and can fight

Think his stint in the NHL is over and that is fine by me.... Don't need this stuff in the league

Edited by Rivalred

Surprised no one chimed in saying we should trade for him as he likes to scrap and can fight

Think his stint in the NHL is over and that is fine by me.... Don't need this stuff in the league

I'd trade for him. We've been lacking that edge since Bertuzzi left us.

It could be either of those. Or it could be that she just wants to get on with her life and not be dragged through the media. I'm sure that when she married a hockey player, she knew that he would be in the news, and that she might be too, but this is not the kind of press that most people want. She may just want it to be done with.

Since she's not a native English speaker, she may be worried that anything that she says may be misconstrued. Words like "hit", "punch", "slug", and "beat" have similar meanings, but different nuances. She might not have trusted herself to not make things worse than they were or she may have not trusted the officials questioning her to understand her correctly. When you are being interrogated, you have to keep in mind that they are already assuming that there was a crime if, like in her case, she was not the one who reported it.

There are a lot of reasons she may not have wanted to talk. We have the right to remain silent if we are the one investigated. We are supposed to have the right not to incriminate a spouse.

I don't care for him, but I feel really badly for her.

An animal doing community service that's a punishment to the community and not for him.

The only real justice would have been to put him in jail and then deport him back to Russia and let them deal with it.

Well I guess it depends on the animal. I'm pretty sure a dog could be helpful. It could like lead blind people around and stuff. But a Grizzly Bear doing community service? I guess you might be able to teach it some circus tricks, but I still wouldn't feel safe with them running around my neighborhood doing community service.

I don't see what this has to do with Voynov though. Last I checked he was a person.

Well I guess it depends on the animal. I'm pretty sure a dog could be helpful. It could like lead blind people around and stuff. But a Grizzly Bear doing community service? I guess you might be able to teach it some circus tricks, but I still wouldn't feel safe with them running around my neighborhood doing community service.

I don't see what this has to do with Voynov though. Last I checked he was a person.

Redondo Beach police officer: Voynov's wife had laceration over left eye, blood streaming, red marks on neck.
Officer: Voynov pushed wife to ground multiple times, kicked her repeatedly while on ground, chocked her three times.
Officer: Voynov pushed her into flat-screen TV where she cut her face.
At Voynov's home, the officer noted blood all over bedroom, including covering comforter and a bloody handprint on floor.

Nope. You're right. Not an animal.

4t554l.jpg

As for voynov, I feel for his wife.

You're talking out of your ass.

First of all, since he'll be serving time in jail, not prison, there is no such thing as minimum or maximum security. There's just jail. It's the same for everybody. And LA County's main facility, the Twin Towers, is no joke. Unless he PC's up, he'll be spending his 90 days in a 80 man cell full of gang bangers, drug addicts, and murders awaiting trial.

Exactly. I bet he PC's though. Going to jail for abusing women can get you a nice beating. Everyday.