• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Nyquist Files For Arbitration

Rate this topic

Only 3 of them are "big fish" Holty, Goose and Stepan

This will be an easy one for his agent, Saad has 52 points is also a left-wing but won 2 Stanley Cups while Gosse is older, has more points but no Stanley Cup so I expect something close to 6 mill.

How bout Hoffman?

This will be an easy one for his agent, Saad has 52 points is also a left-wing but won 2 Stanley Cups while Gosse is older, has more points but no Stanley Cup so I expect something close to 6 mill.

if he gets awarded $6M, Holland must walk away, no question about it. Has not earned anywhere near that.

Ok who is there to replace him ? I mean are people really expecting Goose will be awarded 3 - 4 mill if it really comes to sa ? I just don't think so

i would still hope he takes less to stay. it's not unusual.

i dont think nyquist himself wud expect 6 mill in this org. isnt Zs cap hit 6 mill?

I think he'll get north of 5 how far north will have to be seen, but if people expect 3 - 4 they are in for a surprise

If I had to guess, I would say he gets along the lines of 4.75mil over 5 years.

How much cap space do we have? How much do you think we should offer him and how long. Share opinions.

Sending down Meile, Ferraro, Marchenko, and Ouellet gives us just over $6.75M.

Jurco and Pulkkinen shouldn't cost much over $2M for both, so $4.5ish for Gus would be good. I'd hope for 5 years. In light of Saad and O'Reilly, he might want more than that, which we could do but we'd have to clear some space.

Ansar Khan@AnsarKhanMLive 16m

16 minutes ago

@evan_olive @georgemalik It usually speeds up process of getting deal done because both sides want to avoid unpleasant arbitration hearing.

Yeah, I think a few years back there was a conception that arbitration equals player, agent, and GM are butting heads and it's a power play, but I think I recall Holland saying its a routine process and it's for the best for all groups because it kind of encourages both sides to prioritize getting a deal done instead of putting it off. I tried looking for the exact quote but if I'm not making it all up then it was from a few years ago I think... Maybe someone else remembers this?

It's amazing how fast people will turn on a player.

If memory serves, this is more of a basic procedural thing than a real indication that things are going poorly. By filing for arbitration Nyquist forfeits the right to accept an offer sheet from other teams. In other words, he's committing to the Wings by filing.

Today is the deadline to file so the timing is likely a result of that, not something that happened with the Wings. I'm pretty sure this is something players do that's just a backup plan for a worst case scenario. And again, by doing so he cannot accept an offer sheet from another team.

Good post. Was just coming to say the same thing. No one can jump in now and offer sheet him, which I was kinda worried about. This will definitely get done before the hearing.

He's a good scorer and deserves to get paid, a part of the RedWings future. Maybe this will put a fire on Holland's a$$ to clear some cap space.

I predict a 4year 4 mill deal, if possible.

I think people are reading too much into the possible acrimonious nature. The key thing IMHO, is by filing it prevents any offer sheets from coming in, and could be viewed as a good faith commitment to the Wings. I seem to remember folks saying Tatar was going to be greedy then he signed a reasonable deal that expires when he is still an RFA. I have a feeling Goose is going to be the same kind of team player.

Edited by TheXym

This will be an easy one for his agent, Saad has 52 points is also a left-wing but won 2 Stanley Cups while Gosse is older, has more points (TWO) but no Stanley Cup so I expect something close to 6 mill.

...so how does this work in Goose's favor and garner him something close to six?

There are some other notable names there

Adam Larsson, anyone? A N Y O N E?

...so how does this work in Goose's favor and garner him something close to six?

Adam Larsson, anyone? A N Y O N E?

Saad 52 points, 203 lbs, 22 years, 2 cups

Goose 54 points, 180 lbs, 24 years, no cup

I mean if people know another comparable please name him. So Saad is worth 6 mill per do people honestly think Goose is worth a million less than him? A few hands here and there sure but if it goes to sa I think something north of 5 will be awarded. Maybe I'm totally off base and he'll get less but I just don't see it.

Well, you have to look at this way Frank.

It isn't a similar situation. AT ALL!

Goose files because he wants to stay, doesn't want to be offer sheeted because he's going to negotiate with the Wings in good faith... and would you look at that the Wings want him to stay, don't intent to screw him over dollar-wise.

Saad and Chicago were not close on making a deal so they traded him.

While this was unexpected, you knew something was going to give and Chicago. So it did.

So, Columbus while not giving up a kings ransom for Saad... HEY! They'd sure like to keep him and not lose him to an offer sheet... so they went probably higher than needed with both dollar and term and Saad accepted.

So while they might be comparable in stats for this year... and because I'm nice I'll point out that they had similar years last year as well, but I'm still going to maintain based on my thoughts above and below that... It's not really the same thing at all. ...and as you have so kindly pointed out TWICE... Saad is younger (therefore broke into the NHL at an earlier age than Nyquist/etc) and has ALREADY helped a team win two cups... Goose is OLDER and helped no team win ZERO cups. . No cups, No CA$H.*

*(Not always true, but there's always some moron GM trying to save his job that'll throw a horrible contract at SOMEONE!)

There's no reason to think Goose is going to demand outlandish term or dollars on this contract to stay on a team that brought him into the league, that he wants to play for, and to play for a coach that loves the s*** out of him.

here is the problem, Saad is not worth $6M, even hockey insiders were taken aback at that contract. If Nyquist gets awarded anything over $3M, especially north of $5M, walk away. If Nyquist gets $6M, then so will Tatar next contract, then what happens when Pulkkamania runs wild and he scores 30? Its outrageous to think that he has earned $4M, let alone $6M...

It's amazing how fast people will turn on a player.

If memory serves, this is more of a basic procedural thing than a real indication that things are going poorly. By filing for arbitration Nyquist forfeits the right to accept an offer sheet from other teams. In other words, he's committing to the Wings by filing.

Today is the deadline to file so the timing is likely a result of that, not something that happened with the Wings. I'm pretty sure this is something players do that's just a backup plan for a worst case scenario. And again, by doing so he cannot accept an offer sheet from another team.

I was just explaining the arbitration process to a non-hockey fan the other day and part of my explanation was how people panic and then someone (usually a guy named Harold) steps in and reminds people that it means that the player is forfeiting offer sheets and not to panic.

I got the strangest look.

I think Gus will go somewhere in the 3-3.5 for 3 years range. He had the hot start to the year last season that got people buzzing, but then he cooled off. We know he has the potential, but he still has to prove that he can be consistent. Hot and cold streaks happen, but consistency over all is as valuable as talent.

Saad may be overpaid now but in a few years his contract will look like a steal.

Pulkinnen has his work cut out for him so that's a different story.

I mean what comparables would be there to award him anything less than 5 million? He would be stupid to accept a bridge deal or a long term contract paying him less than what he would get as an unregistered free agent...if the Wings don't like it they can always walk away or maybe they'll reach an agreement before sa..but to act like 3 to 4 mill would be fair for what he brings may be false.

Saad may be overpaid now but in a few years his contract will look like a steal.

Pulkinnen has his work cut out for him so that's a different story.

I mean what comparables would be there to award him anything less than 5 million? He would be stupid to accept a bridge deal or a long term contract paying him less than what he would get as an unregistered free agent...if the Wings don't like it they can always walk away or maybe they'll reach an agreement before sa..but to act like 3 to 4 mill would be fair for what he brings may be false.

That's the point the are restricted free agent for a reason. You don't get to be unrestricted until 27, so why would you get unrestricted money before then?

Saad 52 points, 203 lbs, 22 years, 2 cups

Goose 54 points, 180 lbs, 24 years, no cup

I mean if people know another comparable please name him. So Saad is worth 6 mill per do people honestly think Goose is worth a million less than him? A few hands here and there sure but if it goes to sa I think something north of 5 will be awarded. Maybe I'm totally off base and he'll get less but I just don't see it.

I don't think anyone around here believes Saad is worth $6M.

The Wings are normally pretty generous with RFAs, but we haven't really had any that have put up the numbers Nyquist has either, and now it seems RFAs are getting UFA money. I'm still going with around $4.5M, since that's what we can afford without moving anyone. Might have to go short-term to get that. If we do that and he keeps up his production, we could be looking at $7M+ in a couple years. I think I'd rather go higher and get a better term.

how can we afford $4.5M? We only have $5.4M left to sign 3 players, Nyquist, Jurco and Pulkkinen. They would have to know already that they are keeping Franzen on Pronger retirement AND trading Quincey. No way if Nyquist gets $4.5 no way do Jurco and Pulk come in together for $900,000 combined. Its all about finances.

here is the problem, Saad is not worth $6M, even hockey insiders were taken aback at that contract. If Nyquist gets awarded anything over $3M, especially north of $5M, walk away. If Nyquist gets $6M, then so will Tatar next contract, then what happens when Pulkkamania runs wild and he scores 30? Its outrageous to think that he has earned $4M, let alone $6M...

Most likely won't even get that far, but if it does I can't see the Wings walking away from whatever award he gets. Even if he got $6M we wouldn't give him up for nothing. If you would give him up rather than pay anything over $3M...well, can't say what I think of that.

how can we afford $4.5M? We only have $5.4M left to sign 3 players, Nyquist, Jurco and Pulkkinen. They would have to know already that they are keeping Franzen on Pronger retirement AND trading Quincey. No way if Nyquist gets $4.5 no way do Jurco and Pulk come in together for $900,000 combined. Its all about finances.

We have about $6.75M once Meile, Ferraro, Ouellet, and Marchenko are sent down. Slightly more if we send Andersson down instead of Ferraro, and/or Kindl instead of one of the kids.

Edited by Buppy