• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
e_prime

Gustav Nyquist signed 4-Year Deal $4.75 mill AAV

Rate this topic

Say what you want, Ken Holland completely delivered today. I certainly think this contract is more than reasonable considering the deals O'Reilly ($7,500,000 X 7), Saad ($6,000,000 X 6), and Taresenko ($7,500,000 X 8) recently received.

We still have the Cap Room to sign Jurco, Pulkinnen and Ferrarro - and another $8.6 Million coming off the books this summer (Quincey, Miller, Richards). Franzen adds another $3.9 if he cant go.

ZETTERBERG - DATSYUK - ABDELKADER

TATAR - SHEAHAN - FRANZEN

NYQUIST - RICHARDS - PULKINNEN

JURCO - HELM - GLENDENNING

KRONWALL - ERICSSON

DEKEYSER - GREEN

SMITH - MARCHENKO

We are undoubtedly better than we were a year ago, and still had the eventual Stanley cup finalists 2 minutes (or a Luke Glendenning setback) away from a 3-1 series lead.

Cant wait.

Hopefully this contract will help motivate Tatar as well. If Gus can cash in like this, Tatar is looking at a hefty raise if he keeps being the better player.

Yikes

Nyquist>Tatar

If babs never tried to use Gus as depth scoring for a big portion of the season he could have easily hit 30 plus nyquist's defensive game>>>Tatar's

Edited by joesuffP

A bit more and a bit longer than I'd expected. I tend to be more cautious with longer contracts. Give someone a shorter one to keep them on the leash, so to speak. I'm also notoriously cheap.

Nonetheless, I'm very pleased. He has several good years ahead of him, and we have him for four of them.

A bit more and a bit longer than I'd expected. I tend to be more cautious with longer contracts. Give someone a shorter one to keep them on the leash, so to speak. I'm also notoriously cheap.

Nonetheless, I'm very pleased. He has several good years ahead of him, and we have him for four of them.

I wouldn't call 4 years a long contract, not short either, but it shows the player they want him around, shows the team he wants to be there, and the cap hit is low enough that he will work hard for a raise, and short enough he doesn't become complacent.

2nd highest payroll in the NHL behind Chicago...not quite sure our payroll reflects where this team is right now. Andersson and Ferraro and Callahan will now be waived and more than likely lost for free. Sure wish Nyquist would've gotten about $1M less, but whatever. Hopefully Franzen is indeed done, then at least we won't be a cap team. Gotta get Jurco and Pulk both for under $2M together, still puts us way over...best scenario now is if Franzen is dumped to a salary floor team in need (New Jersey) just to not lose anymore of our talented kids for a concussed player. Trade him to NJ for Future considerations and call it done. Too bad Marchenko will also probably now flee to the KHL, he already said he does not want to be in GR for another year...Too bad we couldn't dump Q and Ericsson.

Nyquist is not better than Tatar, they are two different types of players, they each bring different dynamics to the table. This most certainly means a huge raise for Tatar, especially when/if he outscores Nyquist again the next two seasons...

For those of you putting Franzen on a line, you are hedging that he is 100%, I get it, but he is one hit away from another LTIR season, and you will have already lost your depth in Ferraro, Andersson and Callahan. Best thing to do is send Franzen to a cap floor team and have a nice day and hope he eventually gets healthy enough to play, just not here. His time is over in Detroit, the only thing he is doing now is taking up valuable cap space from kids getting into the NHL where they belong and will continue to do so for the next 5 years if not dealt.

Who cares if Andersson, Ferraro and Callahan are lost? Almost everyone was begging Andersson to leave anyways, Ferraro is a spare part and Callahan has never played a second in the NHL and would probably clear waivers regardless. Getting Nyquist signed to a reasonable contract is far more important.

This summer has been really well done by Holland. Given the lack of quality talent available in free agency, he still made the Red Wings much better for next season without having to sacrifice pieces of the future in the process. I don't think Holland could have done much better.

2nd highest payroll in the NHL behind Chicago...not quite sure our payroll reflects where this team is right now. Andersson and Ferraro and Callahan will now be waived and more than likely lost for free. Sure wish Nyquist would've gotten about $1M less, but whatever. Hopefully Franzen is indeed done, then at least we won't be a cap team. Gotta get Jurco and Pulk both for under $2M together, still puts us way over...best scenario now is if Franzen is dumped to a salary floor team in need (New Jersey) just to not lose anymore of our talented kids for a concussed player. Trade him to NJ for Future considerations and call it done. Too bad Marchenko will also probably now flee to the KHL, he already said he does not want to be in GR for another year...Too bad we couldn't dump Q and Ericsson.

Nyquist is not better than Tatar, they are two different types of players, they each bring different dynamics to the table. This most certainly means a huge raise for Tatar, especially when/if he outscores Nyquist again the next two seasons...

For those of you putting Franzen on a line, you are hedging that he is 100%, I get it, but he is one hit away from another LTIR season, and you will have already lost your depth in Ferraro, Andersson and Callahan. Best thing to do is send Franzen to a cap floor team and have a nice day and hope he eventually gets healthy enough to play, just not here. His time is over in Detroit, the only thing he is doing now is taking up valuable cap space from kids getting into the NHL where they belong and will continue to do so for the next 5 years if not dealt.

I'm not sure if anything in that post was correct. http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/cap/

Not saying this site is 100% correct but we are 8th on here, with 25 players signed. Chicago is first, over the cap limit and only has 20 players. Even if these aren't 100% accurate we are definitely not the 2nd in the league, and not everything will be as negative as this post, and all your other ones indicates.

For sure, Holland has had a stellar off season compared to the past few years for sure! I just hate losing guys for free. I am not a big Andersson fan and wouldn't lose any sleep if he wasn't on the WIngs, but at least get a 7th round pick for him, now you won't even get that because 29 other teams know you are cap strapped and won't offer you jack. Call me kooky, but I like Ferraro, he showed a lot of heart in his few games and playoffs, and that doesn't grow on trees, someone will get him and he will be great for them in a role that he should be with us. I just don't like developing a kid for 4-5 years and losing him for nothing...

A little overpaid. I had predicted him for 4x4 on the arbitration thread. The reason for the lower number is that he haven't produced in the playoffs. And there is a risk he might not. He's a little scrawny and has trouble getting to the slot unless backdooring. Doesn't jive well with being a sniper.

Grumpingly decent, I suppose.

Call me kooky, but I like Ferraro, he showed a lot of heart in his few games and playoffs, and that doesn't grow on trees, someone will get him and he will be great for them in a role that he should be with us. I just don't like developing a kid for 4-5 years and losing him for nothing...

Ferraro is the next emdog

Ericsson. The guy is overpaid. Not sure there'd be any takers. Then next year KFQ and Richards are off the books. That's over $10M in space with those 3.

A $4.25 cap hit for a guy who plays 20 minutes a night is a good contract. Teams would be interested.

captain2005, I was using Hockey's Cap and they show Andy Miele up with us also, so not quite accurate, but I think they just list the guys that are out of exemptions until they are waived...

Fair enough. I'm new to all of this, but we all can agree we miss Capgeek though right. I just read a quote, that Holland expects to be just slightly over the cap limit after resigning Jurco and Pulks. I would love to see him move someone though, not for another player, maybe draft picks or something.

Payroll is rarely a good indicator of team quality. That's kind of the whole point of the cap. Get everyone spending close enough to the same amount so that everyone can be competitive. Secondly, our cap situation has nothing to do with losing any kids. We have enough space to fill the roster. Even if Nyquist was paying $4.75M, we'd still have to waive someone.

Do you have a source for Marchenko? I haven't heard anything about him being dissatisfied.

Yeah, Tatar will get a nice raise if he continues to perform. He would have gotten a nice raise even if Nyquist had signed for $3M. It's reality. Signing Gus cheap wouldn't have reset the league standards. Regardless of what you think, $5M is not superstar money. It's Nyquist/Tatar-level money. In two years when he's up for renewal, it will probably be a little higher.

Finally, Ferraro, Andersson, and Callahan are not our depth. They're plugs, and most likely none of them have a future here, and maybe not even much of one anywhere in the NHL. If Franzen plays 20 games he'll be more valuable than all those guys combined. Sure, if he goes on LTIR, we could keep Ferraro or Andersson around for a year. Then next summer we can all ***** about those guys still being here when we should be giving Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Nosek or Nastasiuk a chance.