• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
e_prime

Remaing RFAs to be signed - Jurco, Pulkkinen, Aubry

Rate this topic

Thought I would create a new thread to discuss the remaining three RFAs and any news about them.

Here's a bit of conversation from Sports.sk with Jurco discussing his contract negotiations.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/roughly-translated-tomas-jurco-discusses-contract-negotiations-with-detroit?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Tomas Jurco spoke with Sport.sk regarding his contract negotiations with Detroit, and what follows is very, very roughly translated, but it sounds like Jurco's going to sign a one-year or short-term contract with the Red Wings sooner than later:

Jurco wants a raise, but it's not a million dollars

Bratislava--In late June, the forward of the Detroit Red Wings tomas Jurco, 22, received a qualifying offer, under which his salary from last season's contract of $767,500 U.S. dollars increased by 5% to $805,875 dollars. Now it's up to the player whether this offer's approved.

What's your latest situation with Detroit?

"We're negotiating a new contract. It should be concluded in the upcoming days. I think in a week we will already have done the deal, so we'll see."

Do you know what you can expect from the Red Wings' leadership?

"I've received a qualifying offer. From my perspective, it's difficult to negotiate because I don't have the option of going to arbitration as I'm not 27. So I have to agree with the conditions offered to me. So I didn't accept the qualifying offer and we're negotiating better conditions. We'll see how it goes."

A second possibility is that you have the right to negotiate with other teams.

"That's true, but in the case of agreements with rival teams my present team can match the offer. It's a matter of my agent to represent me and gauge interest."

Do your representatives network with other teams, or are they negotiating only with Detroit?

"Detroit doesn't have to be the #1 priority. It depends where I'd play and have the best conditions. But I think I will stay with Detroit for the upcoming season."

What's the information from your agent--is Detroit inclined to give you a shorter contract or are they preparing a longer-term contract?

"It won't be a long-term contract, probably I'll sign a contract for only a year. But I need to have a good year this season, to sign a better contract, perhaps for several years."

Is this a very difficult negotiation, or nothing special?

"If there was no trouble, I would have already signed a contract...Of course both sides have their ideas about it. I want the best conditions from the team and they want to spend as little as possible on my salary."

What are your ideas?

"I would like them to give me a little increase on the qualifying offer which has yet to be added to the offer. We'll see how negotiations turn out ,but I hope something happens quickly and improves the contract. If you go out to meet me in the middle, I have to take what they offer."

Are you attracted to a round million dollars?

"A million, definitely not. Detroit has a policy by which the young players on the team aren't given high salaries. When they didn't pay a million for the previous seasons of players like Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar, it won't happen for me."

Are you nervous, or do you remain calm?

"Nervous or not, it will turn out as it turns out. First of all, I want to have the best possible preparatoin for the upcoming season, so I can have as successful as possible a season."

Prediction time: Over/under on Jurco scoring 15 goals this season?

I want to say over because he certainly has that potential imo but with the amount of forwards on the roster and where he'll likely play, the smart bet would be under.... although probably not by much.

I'm guessing he gets in the 10-15 goal range and most are scored the second half of the season.

It depends. If he is on the third line I'd say he scores over 15 goals. If he is on the 4th line, he will likely score less. If Mule comes back then Jurco is likely on the 4th line with Glendog and Miller or Helm. If #93 is on LTIR again then Jurco likely plays on the 3rd line with Sheahan and Pulkkinen.

Sounds like he only wants a year so he isn't stuck in a sub par contract and also so he can try to have that breakout year and get even better offers...perhaps from other teams. Other than the fact that he wants to sign here or 1 year, under a million to prove he is worth more, sounds like he would.ve loved to go to arbitration, and that he really doesn't care if he plays here or another team.

I think Holland wants to give him a multi-year contract because he has other (more important) players to deal with next season and doesn't want to bother with Jurco for another straight year. I am all for keeping Jurco on this team, but only signing him to 1 year presents a problem or next off season. What if he has a breakout year and scorers 25 goals? Now we are forced to giving him something closer to market value, all with having to give DD, Mraz, Abby, Sheahan and Helm significant raises, Ferraro another contract as well a Callahan. And if those two see significant time in the NHL, they will probably get a raise. I understand that if Jurco signs for at least 2 season, and has a 25 goal season, we get him at a HUGE discount for the next season, but then, if he has another 25 goal season, he may get even a bigger raise, so he has to look at it that way. Almost like giving the Wings a extra season to help get the other guys re-signed even if he makes a bit less or that second season in order to help. I understand he wants to have that breakout season, but it could also backfire, he could sign the 1 year and only have stats like the last season...which of course would hurt his plan to get a big contract after this year.

I think, if Holland cannot secure him to at least 2 years, then maybe Jurco should be in that trade package that helps free up salary. I like him, and I think he may be well under Blashill, but it is for the better of the team next offseason to have one less contract to negotiate and big raise to hand out. Come on Jurco, just take a 2 year deal to help bridge these contracts, then after 2 seasons on much improved play, you will get paid.

It would actually work out or him more if he took a 2 year deal for less and scored 40-50 points each year, he'd get a bigger raise than if he just had one season of 40-50. He may have that one good season, sign a 4 year deal in the $2M-$3M range, then become a Nyquist type player and then be under paid. Just never know.

Pulks will get signed, he has no significant NHL time to negotiate with, so it shouldn't be an issue. Aubry, not worried about. I don't think he will make here in Detroit anyhow, I think his time has passed, at least here in Detroit. Maybe he also can be a small piece in a package elsewhere.

If they plan to trade K or Q to relieve cap, then Aubry and or Jurco especially can sweetin the deal a smidge to upgrade the draft pick or other prospect coming our way.

I'm sure a trade is forthcoming, to clear some space. Plus Franzen might end up on the LTIR when the season starts.

I would love to see someone take Franzen's contract to end that chapter. Maybe Florida or the Yotes.

Ericsson should be traded asap. Play Kindl and dangle him if he plays good and free up room for Marchenko and XO.

Jurco will net 11.

I agree. If someone would take Franzen's contract, like a team wanting to get to the cap floor, that would help out bigtime! Then if he gets healthy enough one day, he would be a bonus to them.

Trade Fraznen and Ericsson, then lose Q next season, trade K, then you have room for most your kids!

This season:

Kronwall - Green

Dekeyser - Quincey

Smith - Kindl

Marchenko/Jensen

Next Season:

Kronwall - Green

Dekeyser - Marchenko

Smith - XO

Jensen/Sproul

Still would be tight with the kids. Might have to deal one of them before they are out of exemptions...just not enough room.

For sure though, dumping Franzen and E makes the most Cap sense, considering Q is UFA next summer.

Jurco will score 10...

Edited by LeftWinger

Do we have cap room to re-sign all three?

Yes. I would guess both Jurco and Pulkkinen will get around $900k. That would put us $200-400k under the cap, depending on which of Ferraro and Andersson goes to GR. Aubry is irrelevant since he'll be in GR.

Next season will be tricky though. Wouldn't be shocked to see a move or two this year in anticipation of that.

Looking in the other thread where Jesusberg listed the kids with their exemption year, we are in for some decisions the next three seasons!

Next season for sure with the D kids, but Frk snuck up on us, don't know much about Nedomlel or Tvrdon, but still...then the next year with Mantha and AA up, those are huge decisions there! will there be room here? How long do we string along with the likes of MIller and Helm and Abby with these kids coning along? You have to figure Larkin will be in the NHL before he is out of exemptions as well...Sheesh!

Trades will most definitely have to be made!

You almost HAVE to dump Franzen and Ericsson just so you aren't forced to trade you prospect or lose them. I think any one of Frk, AA, Mantha, Larkin deserves to be here over Franzen when the time comes. No way I'd trade or waive any of them to keep Franzen on the roster. No way.

Edited by LeftWinger

I think Buffalo would make good use of one of Kindl/Quincey. They were in the running for Oduya but he apparently rejected an offer from them.

I'd like to move Q (not gonna happen though). Even though he had a decent year, I've just never been a big fan.

I'm sure the Wings aren't in the running, but Oduya makes a ton of sense. It'd be nice to pair Oduya with Greene, and Kronwall and DD.

I would love to see someone take Franzen's contract to end that chapter. Maybe Florida or the Yotes.

Ericsson should be traded asap. Play Kindl and dangle him if he plays good and free up room for Marchenko and XO.

Jurco will net 11.

Franzen isn't going anywhere. Though it'd be nice to move 2 of Kindl, Ericsson, or Q.

On the contrary, it was rumored at the trade deadline that Toronto was willing to take on Franzen's contract in the Phanuef trade, but Holland still didn't want to trade Mantha or his #1 pick in that deal. So it is entirely possible you could see Franzen moved to clear cap space and roster space for our prized prospects running out of exemptions...

Edited by LeftWinger

On the contrary, it was rumored at the trade deadline that Toronto was willing to take on Franzen's contract in the Phanuef trade, but Holland still didn't want to trade Mantha or his #1 pick in that deal. So it is entirely possible you could see Franzen moved to clear cap space and roster space for our prized prospects running out of exemptions...

I suppose Holland could trade half of Grand Rapids just to dump Franzen's contract... Although Doing something like that, would create more problems then it solves. Which brings me back to, Franzen is staying put.

I heard the Weiss, Smith, Pulkkinen for Phaneuf (leafs eat 2 mil per year of his salary) rumour. I never heard one involving Franzen. Listening to Kenny recently, it sounds like he believes Franzen is healthy and will be in the line-up on opening night.

Listening to Kenny recently, it sounds like he believes Franzen is healthy and will be in the line-up on opening night.

Franzen is healthy already? I don't think so. Probably making good progress this summer I presume. Contact practice + training camp appearance till I can believe he's back. Till then I still wonder what they will do about his situation.

Edited by kickazz

I heard the Weiss, Smith, Pulkkinen for Phaneuf (leafs eat 2 mil per year of his salary) rumour. I never heard one involving Franzen. Listening to Kenny recently, it sounds like he believes Franzen is healthy and will be in the line-up on opening night.

The only reported rumor that had any legs when it comes to Phaneuf is that Weiss was involved in the trade.

I dunno where this "Franzen in the deal" trade speculation has materialized from...

...and while I'm sure EVERYONE would love to talk more about Franzen and his noggin'

Can't it be done in the multitude of other threads already dedicated to Franzen?

So we've got an over/under goal total for Jurco... How about Pulkkinen?

Edited by e_prime