• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Lovable Dan Cleary update thread

Rate this topic

This isn't loyalty anymore. it has crossed into the obsession area. Kind of like when parents give their adult children money out of 'love" then the children use the money for destructive behavior.

This isn't loyalty anymore. it has crossed into the obsession area. Kind of like when parents give their adult children money out of 'love" then the children use the money for destructive behavior.

It's nothing like that at all. I get what you're trying to say, but that analogy doesn't work.

Edited by wings87

I'm all for Cleary if he signed below the cap relief cutoff with the intentions of him playing in grand rapids. That could be a nice transition toward eventually coaching and honestly, I'd probably do the same thing if I were in his shoes.

I just wonder if Toronto (or any of the youth heavy teams) claims him with that low of a cap hit :P

Considering the situation Detroit is in cap wise, if he signs for 1.5M or so, then I'll be annoyed about 575K of dead money sitting there because of a "promise". If he signs for 925K or less, then whatever - it comes off the books. I won't be upset about the financials in the deal, but what kind of message does it send to the younger guys in GR about getting a spot in the lineup?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about earning a spot and creating competition - I want these kids to earn it. I took the wrong approach with Backman when he was moved (admittedly). I don't think Frk or Nastasiuk "deserve" a spot, but I do think they deserve the opportunity to earn it. It has to be a little deflating, mentally, for some of these kids to see a guy given a spot out of loyalty, when they constantly hear "the best players will play". If they can't outplay Cleary for a spot in GR, then so be it, but at this point it feels like the guy has been gifted a lot of stuff.

Would you guys honestly be okay with signing him knowing that we're tight on cap? Like some already said, if it doesn't hurt cap then by all means sign and let him play in GR and help the youngsters, but if Cleary gets 1.5 or even 2 mill and it goes against our cap I think that's ridiculous and Holland's an idiot.

We want cup.

Would you guys honestly be okay with signing him knowing that we're tight on cap? Like some already said, if it doesn't hurt cap then by all means sign and let him play in GR and help the youngsters, but if Cleary gets 1.5 or even 2 mill and it goes against our cap I think that's ridiculous and Holland's an idiot.

We want cup.

It literally does not matter. Yeah, the team is close to the cap limit now, but also has too many players. Players need to be traded for roster spot reasons, which will automatically fix the cap issue anyway. If a small cap hit is added for Cleary to play in the AHL, it literally does nothing to affect the Wings in any way, whether it be cap hit or roster spots.

How much did he get for his 10 game bonus last season? Because if I recall correctly, that bonus cap hit can* carry over to the next year's cap.

So are we talking about having 575K + the million or so bonus in dead cap space??? Either way I think it's ridiculous.

*I think it was either keep the bonus on that same years cap or move the bonus to next year's cap. I just don't know what happened this time around

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/753

Yeah, so his last contract was 1 year for $2,500,000.

But last year he only had a cap hit of $1,500,000.

So his $1,000,000 bonus for playing in 10 games last season did not count against lasts year's cap.

Which means we already have $1,000,000 of cap hit against this years cap due to Cleary's bonus last year.

They did the same thing with Alfie a couple of season ago.

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/753

Yeah, so his last contract was 1 year for $2,500,000.

But last year he only had a cap hit of $1,500,000.

So his $1,000,000 bonus for playing in 10 games last season did not count against lasts year's cap.

Which means we already have $1,000,000 of cap hit against this years cap due to Cleary's bonus last year.

They did the same thing with Alfie a couple of season ago.

The bonus only rolls over if it will put the team over the cap for that season. Cleary's bonus did not put them over the cap so it went on last year's cap.

The bonus only rolls over if it will put the team over the cap for that season. Cleary's bonus did not put them over the cap so it went on last year's cap.

I'm pretty sure they do have the option of putting on the same year or moving it to the next year's,

But his cap hit was less than his payment last season... It has to be on this year's if it wasn't on last year's

EDIT: Well, GeneralFanager (sourced from CapGeek) is saying his cap hit was 1.5 million last season.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/detroit-red-wings/dan-cleary/is saying his cap hit was 2.5 million.

So who the hell knows what happened.

Edited by roboturner

I'm pretty sure they do have the option of putting on the same year or moving it to the next year's,

But his cap hit was less than his payment last season... It has to be on this year's if it wasn't on last year's

Keep in mind that sites like generalfanager aren't official. We don't get to see the actual end of year accounting for last year.

Until some site shows us with a bonus carryover from last year there's no reason to assume that we'll have one.

Keep in mind that sites like generalfanager aren't official. We don't get to see the actual end of year accounting for last year.

Until some site shows us with a bonus carryover from last year there's no reason to assume that we'll have one.

I know they aren't official. As I pointed out there are multiple sites posting both cap hits with no way of know which one actually happened.

Edit: I'm just as curious and uninformed about this as everybody else. We don't know officially what his cap hit was last year, but we do know that if it was in fact 1.5 (and stayed that way) then the rest of the hit would have to be carried over to this year.

Edited by roboturner

EDIT: Well, GeneralFanager (sourced from CapGeek) is saying his cap hit was 1.5 million last season.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/detroit-red-wings/dan-cleary/is saying his cap hit was 2.5 million.

So who the hell knows what happened.

Per capgeek:

Any performance bonuses actually earned at season’s end (ie. for games played, awards, all-star teams, etc.) are then added to the team’s final cap payroll. The catch with the cushion is that if the bonuses earned at year’s end push the team past the upper limit, the overage is carried over as a penalty the following season.

http://capgeek.org/nhl-salary-cap-faq-how-do-performance-bonuses-count-against-the-cap/

Cleary's bonus last year didn't push them over the cap, therefore his bonus will not carry over.

Winging It In Motown with a good synopsis of why trying to pay Cleary to do nothing is a REALLY BAD IDEA.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2015/7/17/8982091/getting-to-know-the-cba-paying-players-to-not-play

I don't know whether there's been any pushing on his part to have this supposed handshake deal seen through to the end, but I just want Cleary to f***-off at this point.

Wow. This guy just won't go away. I didn't even go to a game last season because of the Wings signing Cleary. Don't have a choice this season since it's the last season at the Joe.

Wait,..so you're saying you had the means and resources to go to games, but chose not to, because of Dan Cleary? Please tell me he's a jaded ex lover you don't want to run into because that's the only way that makes sense.