• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Lovable Dan Cleary update thread

Rate this topic

Well that's completely ridiculous

Why? In today's world the best way to get someones attention is through the pocket book. Don't like what someone is promoting? Stop giving them money, it's my hard earned money, "you Joe Schmo business owner have made a decision that upsets me, I will refuse to continue supporting your shenanigans until you change them".

I boycotted the league after the lockout for several months, no games, no reading or discussing...nothing, but ultimately brokedown because I'm a hockey junkie. :cheesy:

Besides, the new Arena won't be open until 2017..so you have two more seasons at the Joe. 15-16, 16-17.

Ban Cleary has made $4.25M from the Wings the last 2 seasons, I thought the Philly "deal" was only around $3.5M for 3 seasons...I'd say Holland more than enough made good on his "handshake." No need to waste anymore money on this bag of bones.

Why? In today's world the best way to get someones attention is through the pocket book. Don't like what someone is promoting? Stop giving them money, it's my hard earned money, "you Joe Schmo business owner have made a decision that upsets me, I will refuse to continue supporting your shenanigans until you change them".

I boycotted the league after the lockout for several months, no games, no reading or discussing...nothing, but ultimately brokedown because I'm a hockey junkie. :cheesy:

I'm certain Illitch has someone right now, working tirelessly to find out why they sold one less ticket last year. And I'm equally certain that said person will any day now make the connection between the unsold ticket and the Dan Cleary signing. Fingers crossed it happens before a new contract is agreed upon!!

Seriously though, given the complexity of building a successful sports franchise and the almost unrivaled success achieved by the Red Wings particularly when faced with league constructed obstacles to hinder continued success, boycotting because of one marginally questionable descision that likely had no effect on the entertainment value of the on ice product, is bordering on ridiculous.

Now boycotting because the water in the drinking troughs in the men's restrooms taste discusting is reasonable.

I'm certain Illitch has someone right now, working tirelessly to find out why they sold one less ticket last year. And I'm equally certain that said person will any day now make the connection between the unsold ticket and the Dan Cleary signing. Fingers crossed it happens before a new contract is agreed upon!!

Seriously though, given the complexity of building a successful sports franchise and the almost unrivaled success achieved by the Red Wings particularly when faced with league constructed obstacles to hinder continued success, boycotting because of one marginally questionable descision that likely had no effect on the entertainment value of the on ice product, is bordering on ridiculous.

Now boycotting because the water in the drinking troughs in the men's restrooms taste discusting is reasonable.

I particularily dislike the yellow color.

The point in this is why would you continue to give something money that upsets you? Regardless of what my reasons are, they are my reasons, just like you may have your reasons to continue giving someone money even though they may disrespect you every single day. Of course my measely financial withdrawl won't impact the $5 billion Illitch empire, but I like most Americans have a finite amount of resources, and picking several hockey games to go to a year can translate into a small vacation for the family out of the country. So like the saying goes, I vote with my pocketbook. And in this case the other guy votes to take his family to Big Bear this year instead of several hockey games.

When the NHL continually calls hockey, "a product" (and I hate that), then when they stick a product in your face that you don't like, do you buy it out of blind loyalty or do you refuse it if it stinks like runny poopies?

I particularily dislike the yellow color.

The point in this is why would you continue to give something money that upsets you? Regardless of what my reasons are, they are my reasons, just like you may have your reasons to continue giving someone money even though they may disrespect you every single day. Of course my measely financial withdrawl won't impact the $5 billion Illitch empire, but I like most Americans have a finite amount of resources, and picking several hockey games to go to a year can translate into a small vacation for the family out of the country. So like the saying goes, I vote with my pocketbook. And in this case the other guy votes to take his family to Big Bear this year instead of several hockey games.

When the NHL continually calls hockey, "a product" (and I hate that), then when they stick a product in your face that you don't like, do you buy it out of blind loyalty or do you refuse it if it stinks like runny poopies?

You absolutely CAN boycott, I'm just saying I think that if Dan Cleary playing 20 games upsets you so much that you no longer enjoy going to the games, you're probably being unreasonable. I mean how much did that change the on ice performance? You would have gotten your money's worth had Dan Cleary not played? I don't even think he was the worst player on the ice. It's like boycotting Planters because they put one less peanut in their $10 bags. Does it make that big of a difference?

I mean, because no one is complaining about real problems like how the other side of the restrooms have mirrors in front of the communial urinals, so everyone can see your junk.

The feed stalls next to the water troughs are pretty disappointing too. It wasn't bad enough to sink so low as to have to eat little ceasars, but still. Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Except they've paid him money during this time. It's not like he was interning for the Wings and is now ready to finally make money. Dude is a millionaire. Not sure why Holland has taken loyalty to this level.

How can you say such hurtful things towards one of your favorite wings?

Sometimes its easy to forget that while Dan Cleary the player has long since outlived his usefulness as a Detroit Red Wing, that Dan Cleary the man is actually a great person and a wonderful ambassador for not just the Red Wings but professional athletes in general. That story above my post is a good reminder of that.

In no way do I want him taking a roster spot up on the team anymore, but I'll always respect how he turned his career around with the Wings and his contributions to the team over the years.

Edited by FlashyG

Ofcourse Dan Cleary is a great guy, most players in this league are. Thats why I take pride in being a fan of this sport as opposed to NBA or NFL. Hockey players have big hearts.

Good reminder for us roboturner

My sister passed away about 3 weeks ago from cancer.

A couple of seasons ago she had a chance to go to a Wings game.

My dad had been in contact with the Wings people and they were trying to work out who she might want to meet if she got the chance. It was up to me to ask her who she wanted to meet. Of course, we were trying to surprise her so I didn't want to just come out and say "Hey you're probably going to get to meet one of the players, who do you want to meet?"

So i would ask, "Hey Care, if you got to meet anybody on the wings who would you want to meet?"

"DAN CLEARY!" she'd exclaim.

So a couple of days later I would ask again. "DAN CLEARY!!" was the answer I got again.

She knew they were going to be going to the game when she went down to Ann Arbor, so I tried again, "No..Seriously....If you really got to meet one of the current Wings players when you go to the game, who would it be?" I could not have given her a bigger hint without flat out just telling her!

"DAN CLEARY!"

So she and my dad and uncle went to the game and had a good time. Then the game was over. As they are trying to 'leave' the building, my uncle is leading the way with directions on where to go with my dad and sister following him. She still has no idea.

They end up in an area where she figures they aren't supposed to be. "Are we allowed down this way?"

Finally they end up standing against a wall with a bunch of other people with a Wings/arena employee telling them to just wait where they are.

"Are we meeting players?!" She had finally figured it out.

While they were waiting she felt she had accidentally bumped into someone behind her. She turned to say she was sorry to them. But nothing came out of her mouth. It was Nicklas Lidstrom that she had bumped into!! (This was during his last season when he wasn't playing due to his ankle) He saw she was trying to apologize and told her it was no big deal. Other players like Pavel and Zetterberg had walked through the hallway where they were waiting.

Finally Dan Cleary came out and asked "Are you Carrie?"

I don't remember much of what else happened (I wasn't there, just heard the stories afterward), but he was super nice to her, took a couple of pictures, and signed some things.

The jersey says

"To: Carrie Best Wishes

Your friend, Dan Clear 11"

He also had a signed bobble head sent to our house a couple of weeks later.

I always teased her about wanting to meet Cleary over anybody else, but she really enjoyed the whole experience

245xy7l.jpg

Ok, Danny Cleary is now my favorite player.

I once had a hamster who was a huge Cleary fan. If anyone else scored, he'd be politely interested, but if Cleary scored, he'd get up and do the hamster dance.

I used to sing the Danny Cleary song to him, and once when he got out, he waited in a hole in the wall behind the bath tub until I sang the whole thing to him before he would come out. I pretended to end it after one verse, but he wasn't fooled. He went right back in the hole until I'd finished it properly.

I really wish that he'd do something else withing the organization, but if his heart is set on playing, I guess that's what will make him happy. He did fight Chris Pronger and get the nasty eyeball. That deserves something.

Edited by 55fan

My dad had been in contact with the Wings people and they were trying to work out who she might want to meet if she got the chance. It was up to me to ask her who she wanted to meet. Of course, we were trying to surprise her so I didn't want to just come out and say "Hey you're probably going to get to meet one of the players, who do you want to meet?"

So i would ask, "Hey Care, if you got to meet anybody on the wings who would you want to meet?"

So a couple of days later I would ask again. "DAN CLEARY!!" was the answer I got again.

She knew they were going to be going to the game when she went down to Ann Arbor, so I tried again, "No..Seriously....If you really got to meet one of the current Wings players when you go to the game, who would it be?" I could not have given her a bigger hint without flat out just telling her!

"DAN CLEARY!"

So she and my dad and uncle went to the game and had a good time. Then the game was over. As they are trying to 'leave' the building, my uncle is leading the way with directions on where to go with my dad and sister following him. She still has no idea.

They end up in an area where she figures they aren't supposed to be. "Are we allowed down this way?"

Finally they end up standing against a wall with a bunch of other people with a Wings/arena employee telling them to just wait where they are.

While they were waiting she felt she had accidentally bumped into someone behind her. She turned to say she was sorry to them. But nothing came out of her mouth. It was Nicklas Lidstrom that she had bumped into!! (This was during his last season when he wasn't playing due to his ankle) He saw she was trying to apologize and told her it was no big deal. Other players like Pavel and Zetterberg had walked through the hallway where they were waiting.

I don't remember much of what else happened (I wasn't there, just heard the stories afterward), but he was super nice to her, took a couple of pictures, and signed some things.

The jersey says

I always teased her about wanting to meet Cleary over anybody else, but she really enjoyed the whole experience

245xy7l.jpg

I'm Sorry for your loss man.

Thanks for sharing the story though, really cool stuff.

"DAN CLEARY!"

The jersey says

245xy7l.jpg

Condolences. Stay strong.

Sorry to hear about your sister roboturner, great story though. I'm one of the bigger Cleary fans around here I'm sure, being a fellow Newf and all... I've met Cleary several times, as my cousin trains with him when he come home every summer. I also have a personalized autographed Cleary jersey hung up on my wall. And I was actually in the little parade that went through his hometown (Harbour Grace) when he brought home the Cup in the summer of '08. He truly is an amazing individual, and as much as I would love Cleary to be "able" to play next season, he really is done, and he should hang them up. I would love nothing more, for him to be offered some sort of job (strength and conditioning coach) within the organization...

"DAN CLEARY!"

The jersey says

245xy7l.jpg

So sorry for the loss.

Sorry to hear about your sister roboturner, great story though. I'm one of the bigger Cleary fans around here I'm sure, being a fellow Newf and all... I've met Cleary several times, as my cousin trains with him when he come home every summer. I also have a personalized autographed Cleary jersey hung up on my wall. And I was actually in the little parade that went through his hometown (Harbour Grace) when he brought home the Cup in the summer of '08. He truly is an amazing individual, and as much as I would love Cleary to be "able" to play next season, he really is done, and he should hang them up. I would love nothing more, for him to be offered some sort of job (strength and conditioning coach) within the organization...

I'm much the same, met Danny a bunch living home. He's a beauty, and there really isn't anything better than having a Newf suit up for your favorite team. But he is done, and it's time to move on. I hope he stays in the organization as a scout/trainer/coach for a long time.

damn it Robo! You had to come in with that story when we were all enjoying bashing Cleary! Seriously though, tough loss man, been there....i have nothing but condolences and prayers for you and your family. God Bless...even if you aren't a religious man, I am, and I know there is a God taking care of her right now. She is waiting for the day you two meet again...and it will be. Trust me.

"DAN CLEARY!"

The jersey says

245xy7l.jpg

Man I teared up a bit reading that.

Everyone wonders why the Wings still keep the guy around, right there's your answer. Not saying I agree that the guy should be playing but with a heart like that how can you let him go to another organization?