• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Lovable Dan Cleary update thread

Rate this topic

Because the NHL is retroactively punishing teams for front loaded contracts with low salary years at the end which were perfectly legal when they were signed, if a player with that type of deal retires then any team that paid more in salary than the cap hit has a penalty added onto the remaining years of that contract. If Franzen retires, the Wings have around $3 million in penalties each year that run through the 19-20 season.

Man that sucks. I always knew of the penalty, but I thought if the Wings traded him the burden of the penalty would fall on the team acquiring him.

Man that sucks. I always knew of the penalty, but I thought if the Wings traded him the burden of the penalty would fall on the team acquiring him.

Nope, the penalty goes to the team that benefits from having the cap hit lower than his salary.

Because the NHL is retroactively punishing teams for front loaded contracts with low salary years at the end which were perfectly legal when they were signed, if a player with that type of deal retires then any team that paid more in salary than the cap hit has a penalty added onto the remaining years of that contract. If Franzen retires, the Wings have around $3 million in penalties each year that run through the 19-20 season.

Nhl GMs see your retroactive punishment and raise you LTIRetirement :P no but really, Kenny won't let franzen officially retire. Obviously he can't force him not to but I'm sure franzen would want to help the team as much as he can, be it on the ice or in cap relief.

If Franzem retires he doesn't get paid. If he sits on IR he does. It's to his advantage to not retire.

Yeah, that too. Whatever happens, it's very unlikely he'll retire so I don't think we'll have to worry about the penalties is all I was trying to say.

Honestly I think Franzen should go on LTIR Pronger-like for the remainder of his contract. First of all, it doesn't hurt the team through any kind of penalty. But more important, Franzen needs to stay off the ice and hang'em up. With his history of concussions and his continued problems, it's not worth it. Even if he never plays again, he could struggle with this condition for a long time. He needs to do whatever he can to get his health back, so he can enjoy the rest of his life. With the millions he already earned he should never have to work again, so..just let it go.

Edited by The Datsyukian Deke