• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

T.Low

Line combos for 97, 98 Cups?

Rate this topic

I remember McCarty having some hidden talent that would pop up out of no where in games. I also remember reading he had crazy raw talent and could have been much better had he worked on his game and not been so distracted.

I am pretty sure the people who remember McCarty's play would take him over Abby. I would.

I remember McCarty having some hidden talent that would pop up out of no where in games. I also remember reading he had crazy raw talent and could have been much better had he worked on his game and not been so distracted.

I am pretty sure the people who remember McCarty's play would take him over Abby. I would.

McCarty is easily my favorite grinder of all time. Love Abs but Id take McCarty every time.

Honestly the grind line was just plain unreal. Best bottom 6 line of all time. With Kocur or McCarty.

Was it that, or was it having worse linemates? I don't remember McCarty getting much top line minutes during the 2000's. By that point, he was playing almost entirely on the grind line.

I know the guy scored 50 goals in juniors, but so did Kirk Maltby.

Yup, went to grind line and they ended up putting Yzerman and Fedorov together for a good while. Stevie was aging pretty bad by then.

Plus we signed guys like Hull and Robataille, no reason McCarty should have stayed on top lines.

I was a youngin but I hated seeing Doug brown with feds.

Same, but they did wreck for a good few games.

McCarty is easily my favorite grinder of all time. Love Abs but Id take McCarty every time.

Honestly the grind line was just plain unreal. Best bottom 6 line of all time. With Kocur or McCarty.

McCarty was your typical grade A fighter, grinder without being all that big. His upper body strength was just ridiculous..... Plus it always helped having a right handed shooter.. something we haven't seen much of in a while unfortunately.

97, 98 and even 2002 lines had a good balance of right and left shooters, wish we could get s'more.

I was a youngin but I hated seeing Doug brown with feds.

I didn't. Brown worked well with Fedorov. That Fedorov/Brown/Kozlov line was money. Brown scored a goal from Fedorov and another from Kozlov in game 4 of the 1998 Finals.

I think the goal that won a certain game on 3/26/1997 was Larionov to Shanahan to McCarty ftw.... I think that's why that line stands out in my head from 97.

I think the reason I liked Bowman more than Babcock and will always think he's superior is because Bowman groomed his Grind line into one that he could put up against the opponents top lines allowing our top lines free to play against lower match ups.

Grind line dominated the "Legion of Doom" line (Lindros, LeClair, Renberg)in 97 cup run.

Would be awsome if we could pull something like that off in current day hockey. But our bottom 6 grinders consist of the likes of Andersson >.>

Edited by kickazz

Yup, went to grind line and they ended up putting Yzerman and Fedorov together for a good while. Stevie was aging pretty bad by then.

Plus we signed guys like Hull and Robataille, no reason McCarty should have stayed on top lines.

Same, but they did wreck for a good few games.

McCarty was your typical grade A fighter, grinder without being all that big. His upper body strength was just ridiculous..... Plus it always helped having a right handed shooter.. something we haven't seen much of in a while unfortunately.

97, 98 and even 2002 lines had a good balance of right and left shooters, wish we could get s'more.

True. Half the reason McCarty performed less point wise in the 2000's is because we basically had an all-star team at that point. I still believe the salary cap exists almost solely because of us.

I think the reason I liked Bowman more than Babcock and will always think he's superior is because Bowman groomed his Grind line into one that he could put up against the opponents top lines allowing our top lines free to play against lower match ups.

Grind line dominated the "Legion of Doom" line (Lindros, LeClair, Renberg)in 97 cup run.

Would be awsome if we could pull something like that off in current day hockey. But our bottom 6 grinders consist of the likes of Andersson >.>

Honest question. If the Grind Line comes out of retirement for one playoff series.............could they shut down our top line of Zetterberg, Nyquist and Abdelkader?

Honest question. If the Grind Line comes out of retirement for one playoff series.............could they shut down our top line of Zetterberg, Nyquist and Abdelkader?

Yes. Z, Nyquist, and Abby isn't that great of a line.

Easily. But if we switch that to Z-PaV-Holmstrom then I'd say not at all.

Z and Pav thrived on making a fool of grinders as long as Holmstrom created some space. Plus their combined finisse and hockey IQ would be too much for grind line to handle. I think the euro twins hockey IQ in their prime was one of the best in the league's history and i honestly mean that. Especially given the speed at which the game has heen played the post 2004 lockout era

Edited by kickazz

Easily. But if we switch that to Z-PaV-Holmstrom then I'd say not at all.

Z and Pav thrived on making a fool of grinders as long as Holmstrom created some space. Plus their combined finisse and hockey IQ would be too much for grind line to handle. I think the euro twins hockey IQ in their prime was one of the best in the league's history and i honestly mean that. Especially given the speed at which the game has heen played the post 2004 lockout era

With Homer in front of the net the Twins had so much more room to dominate. They're lethal in man coverage.

best I can remember, it was something like:

1997 Sandstrom Yzerman McCarty

Kozlov Fedorov Brown

Shanahan Larionov Lapointe

Maltby Draper Kocur

Lidstrom Murphy

Fetisov Konstantinov

Ward Rouse

1998 Holmstrom/Gilchrist Yzerman McCarty

Kozlov Fedorov Brown/Holmstrom

Shanahan Larionov Lapointe

Maltby Draper Kocur/McCarty

Lidstrom Murphy

Fetisov Eriksson/Mironov

Macoun Rouse

those were the days....

Edited by datterberg1340

Bowman hated Ward. He was always in his doghouse. Mironov and Macoun were acquired at the trade deadline. Mironov was benched after he was at fault for a game winning goal in the series versus the Blues, so Macoun took his place and played with Rouse the rest of the playoffs.

I thought about that, but then he went on to play 60 games the next season, 34 (due to injury) the next and then 73 his final season with Detroit. Didn't figured that sounded too much like a doghouse player, but with Bowman, stranger things have happened!

This whole thread is awesome. Gonna break out the championship DVD's soon and watch em again for the nostalgia. I still get goosebumps when D-Mac makes swiss cheese out of Janne Ninama (f the spelling)

Also, crazy to anyone else that Tomas Sandstrom of all guys was traded here and got to ride shotgun with Yzerman on route to a cup run? Played great for the Kings when they lost to MTL in 93, but doesn't score a goal in 20 games with us (assisted on the cup winner though, funnily enough). Crazy.