• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

T.Low

Line combos for 97, 98 Cups?

Rate this topic

Larionov with Shanahan and McCarty

this third line is a dream. For some reason, I don't remember them together on ice in the play-offs. On March 26 they scored an excellent OT goal though.

Pretty much, but it always seemed like the line combos were changing during games.

I believe you need to flip Lapointe and McCarty, but I could be wrong.

Don't remember at all what line Holmstrom played on in the 1998 playoffs. Did he play with Yzerman and McCarty?

Edited by GMRwings1983

I believe you need to flip Lapointe and McCarty, but I could be wrong.

Don't remember at all what line Holmstrom played on in the 1998 playoffs. Did he play with Yzerman and McCarty?

I think you're correct on both. I remember Sandstrom-Yzerman-McCarty line in 1997, and Holmstrom-Yzerman-McCarty in 1998. I remember too in the 1998 Final, Scotty would load up the top line with Shanahan-Yzerman-Fedorov sometimes.

But as already mentioned, Scotty would change the line combos every shift.

I think you're correct on both. I remember Sandstrom-Yzerman-McCarty line in 1997, and Holmstrom-Yzerman-McCarty in 1998. I remember too in the 1998 Final, Scotty would load up the top line with Shanahan-Yzerman-Fedorov sometimes.

But as already mentioned, Scotty would change the line combos every shift.

Poor Yzerman. Having to play with two guys in Homer and Mac who are slower than dirt.

Here's a question. Was Yzerman even playing on what was considered the top line in those years? McCarty is not a top line guy and Sandstrom wasn't very good in the 1997 playoffs. And Homer was still 10 years away from being a top line player in 1998.

Interesting to put the franchise center in that situation.

Poor Yzerman. Having to play with two guys in Homer and Mac who are slower than dirt.

Here's a question. Was Yzerman even playing on what was considered the top line in those years? McCarty is not a top line guy and Sandstrom wasn't very good in the 1997 playoffs. And Homer was still 10 years away from being a top line player in 1998.

Interesting to put the franchise center in that situation.

McCarty, Holmstrom, Kocur, etc. were tough as nails, but they could play hockey. Sandstrom is an enigma.

McCarty was a lot like Abby in a way, and Abby also plays with elite players.

You've grown too fond of McGrattan, who's as tough as McCarty, but plays hockey like a stick in the mud.

Thread becomes a fight thread in 3, 2, 1...

Edited by number9

McCarty, Holmstrom, Kocur, etc. were tough as nails, but they could play hockey. Sandstrom is an enigma.

McCarty was a lot like Abby in a way, and Abby also plays with elite players.

You've grown too fond of McGrattan, who's as tough as McCarty, but plays hockey like a stick in the mud.

Thread becomes a fight thread in 3, 2, 1...

McCarty wasn't a top line player. That was my point. Yzerman once again took a backseat to the team.

McCarty wasn't a top line player. That was my point. Yzerman once again took a backseat to the team.

Abdelkader isn't a top line player and yet he plays there. I'd also argue Holmstrom was never a top line player caliber, and yet he played there. They bring something to the line that Yzerman can't offer.

Elite players need 3rd line tough guys with them a lot of the time. Especially back then.

I don't think Yzerman took a backseat like you're implying. In fact I think he and his line mates were used very effectively.

Edited by number9

The top 3 lines were very interchangable from what i remember. Meaning they could all have been considered the "top line".

Yzerman was signicially slower in the late 90s. But the game itself wasnt that fast to begin with so he thrived. From what i remember atleast

Abdelkader isn't a top line player and yet he plays there. I'd also argue Holmstrom was never a top line player caliber, and yet he played there. They bring something to the line that Yzerman can't offer.

Elite players need 3rd line tough guys with them a lot of the time. Especially back then.

I don't think Yzerman took a backseat like you're implying. In fact I think he and his line mates were used very effectively.

Aye, Z and Pav would get chewed up if they didnt have a net front presence or some grit on their line.

I just dont remember what McCarty brought to yzermans line. The obvious answer is grit but i feel like there was more to it

Edited by kickazz

The top 3 lines were very interchangable from what i remember. Meaning they could all have been considered the "top line".

Yzerman was signicially slower in the late 90s. But the game itself wasnt that fast to begin with so he thrived. From what i remember atleast

Aye, Z and Pav would get chewed up if they didnt have a net front presence or some grit on their line.

I just dont remember what McCarty brought to yzermans line. The obvious answer is grit but i feel like there was more to it

97 finals game 4 break away goal. Nuff said.

It'd be interesting to see how many minutes McCarty logged on average during those two playoffs. I doubt it was typical of a first liner. I'm guessing Bowman moved Yzerman around and also guessing many of Yzerman's points came on the powerplay.

Abby is a more capable offensive player than McCarty. Not top line material, but still more capable.

97 finals game 4 break away goal. Nuff said.

ahah yea.

McCarty in his book wrote about how most people don't even remember that he had the game winner to win it all but rather remember him as the guy that jumped Claude Lemieux

His game winner was frickin epic

It'd be interesting to see how many minutes McCarty logged on average during those two playoffs. I doubt it was typical of a first liner. I'm guessing Bowman moved Yzerman around and also guessing many of Yzerman's points came on the powerplay.

Abby is a more capable offensive player than McCarty. Not top line material, but still more capable.

Not even close.

McCarty was 3rd in TOI among forwards in the 98 playoffs. Only Yzerman and Fedorov had more ice time as forwards.

For a man who loves tough guys, you drastically underrate McCarty's ability as an actual hockey player.

His downfall was his lifestyle catching up with him in his later years.

I'm not so sure about this. Abby's best season (this past season), was what McCarty averaged during this late 90s. Abby usually totalted around 25 points a season while McCarty hit 26 his rookie season and average in the 40 point range for a few years.

McCarty was a much better fighter and grinder and his offensive numbers in his prime were better than Abbys.

I'll give backchecking and speed to Abby tho.

After 98 season i believe McCarty replaced Kocur on the "Grind Line" playing with Maltby and Draper.

The epic line was reunited in 2008 game against the Blues as the starting line on ice when Mike Babcock sent out Maltby - Draper - McCarty together.

Edited by kickazz

I'm not so sure about this. Abby's best season (this past season), was what McCarty averaged during this late 90s. Abby usually totalted around 25 points a season while McCarty hit 26 his rookie season and average in the 40 point range for a few years.

McCarty was a much better fighter and grinder and his offensive numbers in his prime were better than Abbys.

I'll give backchecking and speed to Abby tho.

I guess that's true looking at the numbers. I'm thinking more of the 2000's version of McCarty, who wasn't putting up big numbers.

I guess that's true looking at the numbers. I'm thinking more of the 2000's version of McCarty, who wasn't putting up big numbers.

Agree, drugs and alcohol got the best of him. Oh well lucky guy got his 4th stanley cup playing minimum games. Lol. Edited by kickazz

Agree, drugs and alcohol got the best of him. Oh well lucky guy got his 4th stanley cup playing minimum games. Lol.

Was it that, or was it having worse linemates? I don't remember McCarty getting much top line minutes during the 2000's. By that point, he was playing almost entirely on the grind line.

I know the guy scored 50 goals in juniors, but so did Kirk Maltby.