• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
e_prime

Mitch Callahan

Rate this topic

from Peter J. Wallner of Mlive,

This year, he wants to avoid a return to the AHL. If he doesn't make the Red Wings, he will have to clear waivers before he would return to the Griffins.

"There's always been talk that some teams would be interested if I was on waivers, but it all depends on the timing on everything," he said. "I just want to go in and try and make Detroit.

"As much as I love Grand Rapids, I don't want to play in the AHL next year. So I'm trying to do everything possible to play with them (Red Wings) or have a good enough camp for someone else to take me."

What are his chances of making the team?

Edited by e_prime

He needs to take Anderson's spot or miller ... Was gonna say ferraro as well but I don't even know if he's gonna make the team ... How many forwards do we have with Franzen datsyuk included? 17-18?

Callahan will have to beat out someone to make the team and that's gonna be harder now that he hasn't played in like 5-6 months cause of the injury , and that's gonna also be a reason he won't get claimed

I Give him like 2% chance he makes detroit or gets claimed

Blashill likes him and Andersson is a dime a dozen player. I think the two younger guys will be the reserves

Blash loved Jeff Hoggan, don't think it means anything. Besides, there's no reason to think he won't like Andersson. I think Andy was even centering the top line in the half year he spent under Blash in GR.

Dime a dozen or not, I don't think you give up a center who's proven to be at least an adequate NHL 4th-liner for a winger with like 5 minutes of NHL time.

Callahan's best chance is injuries. With both Pav and Franzen out there would be a spot for him. If he could get a few games it might boost his chances of getting claimed when he does get waived. Regardless, I would be shocked if he has any kind of future here.

I don't think he will make the opening night roster unless we have a few injuries up front, but I do think he makes the 23 man roster regardless. With Pav out for sure, and Franzen very likely, I think he will be one of the 14 forwards to be named to the team the first week of October. I think / hope Andersson will be the odd man out...

There will be room for him if indeed Franzen is out along with Dats...problem is, when Dats comes back, we go up to 15 forwards, THEN who gets waived? Will Callahan even being playing, he will essentially be splitting time with Ferraro and Andersson as the occasional 12th guy on the 4th line. Unless there is an injury, I don't see any of them outright beating none of Miller, Glenny or Helm for the 4th line minutes...or Jurco for that matter if he starts on the 4th. (which I hope is not the case.) And then IF Franzen gets healthy, only one of them can stay...something is afoot at the Circle K...

There will be room for him if indeed Franzen is out along with Dats...problem is, when Dats comes back, we go up to 15 forwards, THEN who gets waived? Will Callahan even being playing, he will essentially be splitting time with Ferraro and Andersson as the occasional 12th guy on the 4th line. Unless there is an injury, I don't see any of them outright beating none of Miller, Glenny or Helm for the 4th line minutes...or Jurco for that matter if he starts on the 4th. (which I hope is not the case.) And then IF Franzen gets healthy, only one of them can stay...something is afoot at the Circle K...

I would be shocked if a month or two into the season nobody is injured. Every team always seems to have a few injuries going on as the season progresses.

I will say though, its nice that people have finally dropped the "we're injury prone" talk!

Ferraro does everything Andersson does and skates better. Callahan does things Andersson doesn't. Keep them waive the marshmallow

From the small sample size I saw of Ferraro last year, I really liked the energy he brought to the ice. I never noticed that from Andersson.

2015 Landon Ferraro, 2015 Mitch Callahan, 2014 Andrej Nestrasil, 2013 Cory Emmerton, 2012 Jan Mursak, 2018 Dan Cleary are all >>> Any Joakim Andersson...

Joakim Andersson f*cking blows and I will be extremely disappointed if he is not the odd man out once everyone is healthy and a player needs to be waived...

2015 Landon Ferraro, 2015 Mitch Callahan, 2014 Andrej Nestrasil, 2013 Cory Emmerton, 2012 Jan Mursak, 2018 Dan Cleary are all >>> Any Joakim Andersson...

Joakim Andersson f*cking blows and I will be extremely disappointed if he is not the odd man out once everyone is healthy and a player needs to be waived...

2013 playoff Andersson was waaaaay better than anything I've seen out of any of those plugs you just mentioned. That also happened to be the best post-season run the Wings have had since 2011. The kid held his own centering the third line and was relied on to look after Nyquist and Brunner for 200 feet against some pretty good players. So at least Andersson can say he's played decent hockey once.

I don't hate Andersson. He's useful(ish) I guess. In the same way that Emmerton was. But he's no more physical, defensively responsible, or speedy than either of Callahan or Ferraro. Additionally, each of them have shown considerably more upside than Andersson offensively. His one big plus is that he can, in a pinch, center a line. But so can Dats, Z, Richards, Sheahan, Helm, Glendening, and Abby or Franzen (in a pinch). Plus we've got a couple real quality centers in GR who could fill in if need be. So Andersson's big plus doesn't really have as much utility as it might otherwise.

Andersson's roster spot is not even close to guaranteed. The fact that he had one in the first place has to do with the fact that A) our centers have been banged up for the better part of two years, and B) Babcock's default preference is defensive responsibility over any other skillset when forced to choose (anybody remember Nestrasil making the opening day roster last season lol?).

Edited by kipwinger

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was speaking slightly tongue in cheek when I mentioned all of those "plugs", and went on to mention that Cleary 3 years from now would be better... The point was and still remains that Andersson is the worst player on the roster and once everyone is healthy, he should be the player waived... The guy is the definition of a plug. Every single player in the organization brings more to the table than Joakim Andersson...

Andersson is slow, non physical, weak on the puck and lacks any offensive ability. He is decent at faceoffs, but we have more than enough center depth. Also, don't forget that Blashill used Ferraro at center at times in Grand Rapids the past few seasons, so that can't even be used as a plus for him. He's good on the PK, but both Ferraro and Callahan would be much better because of their speed alone...

Too physical. Holland likes wimps and milksops on his 4th line.

Andersson is slow, non physical, weak on the puck and lacks any offensive ability. He is decent at faceoffs, but we have more than enough center depth. Also, don't forget that Blashill used Ferraro at center at times in Grand Rapids the past few seasons, so that can't even be used as a plus for him. He's good on the PK, but both Ferraro and Callahan would be much better because of their speed alone...

Sounds like our average 4th liner the last five years. That's what Holland wants in a 4th line player. Or is that what Babcock wanted? I guess we'll soon find out.

I don't hate Andersson. He's useful(ish) I guess. In the same way that Emmerton was. But he's no more physical, defensively responsible, or speedy than either of Callahan or Ferraro. Additionally, each of them have shown considerably more upside than Andersson offensively. His one big plus is that he can, in a pinch, center a line. But so can Dats, Z, Richards, Sheahan, Helm, Glendening, and Abby or Franzen (in a pinch). Plus we've got a couple real quality centers in GR who could fill in if need be. So Andersson's big plus doesn't really have as much utility as it might otherwise.

Andersson's roster spot is not even close to guaranteed. The fact that he had one in the first place has to do with the fact that A) our centers have been banged up for the better part of two years, and B) Babcock's default preference is defensive responsibility over any other skillset when forced to choose (anybody remember Nestrasil making the opening day roster last season lol?).

LOL. That's all I needed to hear to see how useless he is. You may as well mention Mark Mowers.

Word on the street says Holland is bringing in a special adviser to toughen up the fourth line and add a little bit of the toughness the team's been lacking since Tootoo left.

Who is this special adviser you ask?

You guessed it. Slaughterhouse in a blouse herself, Ronda Rousey.

ronda-rousey-wm31.jpg

Edit: This isn't a dig a girls, by the way. I legitimately think Ronda Rousey is the best pound for pound fighter in the world.

Edited by kipwinger

Word on the street says Holland is bringing in a special adviser to toughen up the fourth line and add a little bit of the toughness the team's been lacking since Tootoo left.

Who is this special adviser you ask?

You guessed it. Slaughterhouse in a blouse herself, Ronda Rousey.

ronda-rousey-wm31.jpg

Nice shirt.

I'd love to see her and Abdelkader in a fight.