• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Euro_Twins

Which prospect will have the best nhl career

Rate this topic

Which prospect will have the best nhl career  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Start it up.

I say athanasiou.

If he can start using his line mates more, he'll be amazing.

I picked him, even when we were including first rounders. So it's clear where I stand. But if we exclude him then there are some really interesting names out there. Bertuzzi, Pulkkinen, Turgeon, Sproul, Mrazek, Holmstrom, Saarijarvi, etc.

Edited by kipwinger

I'd venture to guess that most of the folks reflexively choosing Larkin this year, are the same folks who would have reflexively chosen Mantha last year.

A better question would be, "which non first rounder will have the best NHL career?". I think it requires a little more critical thinking.

Yeah, but to make that kind of assessment it would require people too consistently watch GR games. Which I don't think a lot of fans spend time doing. I know living outside Michigan, I don't have the option to watch GR play. I rely on "analysts", what I read on here, and the couple of games a season that I see these guys play with the Wings-to form an opinion on the minor leaguers.

Yeah, but to make that kind of assessment it would require people too consistently watch GR games. Which I don't think a lot of fans spend time doing. I know living outside Michigan, I don't have the option to watch GR play. I rely on "analysts", what I read on here, and the couple of games a season that I see these guys play with the Wings-to form an opinion on the minor leaguers.

True. And I would encourage those who don't have an opinion on the matter to refrain from opining. Which is a heck of a lot more honest than endlessly repeating how great Mantha is, until he isn't, and then going on a on about how great Larkin will be. If, heaven forbid, he's not that great in the AHL you can bet your ass this same poll will come up a year from now and Svechnikov will be the most common pick. But that doesn't really say much does it?

True. And I would encourage those who don't have an opinion on the matter to refrain from opining. Which is a heck of a lot more honest than endlessly repeating how great Mantha is, until he isn't, and then going on a on about how great Larkin will be. If, heaven forbid, he's not that great in the AHL you can bet your ass this same poll will come up a year from now and Svechnikov will be the most common pick. But that doesn't really say much does it?

Instructions unclear. Louis-Marc Aubry.

I'd venture to guess that most of the folks reflexively choosing Larkin this year, are the same folks who would have reflexively chosen Mantha last year.

A better question would be, "which non first rounder will have the best NHL career?". I think it requires a little more critical thinking.

The difference between Mantha and Larkin is that Larkin has already shown he can play with men. The jury is still out on Mantha. Is it a small sample size? Sure. But in that very short span, he has shown a lot more than Mantha has over a much longer stretch.

I think people can still have an opinion (based on other factors then just the eye test), but I agree fans do have to be more objective. Prospect love has griped the nation, be it in the NHL, MLB, or college Football. Some fail to realize that more prospects fall flat on their face/get injured, then actually hit it big. Before last season Mantha hype got out of control. Now a year later "he's a gutless giant". Who knows what tomorrow holds.

I don't know why you're deriding "the same folks" - I think common sense would make most people excited about our highest picks. Once we see more of players then potential steals in the later rounds can be seen, but draft order obviously reflects their achievements up to that point and high drafts picks are chosen because the professional scouts think they have the highest chance at success.

Excitement for Larkin seems to be on a stronger footing than Mantha last year (I'm not writing Mantha off at all - I just think he'll struggle for a bit and hopefully he can adapt/develop/overcome). We saw Larkin at College, we saw him at the World Juniors, the World Championship, Grand Rapids playoffs. He stood out everywhere and adapted to the AHL right away.

At this point last year, we hadn't seen Mantha against NHLers or in the AHL. He already had some struggles in the Memorial cup and had the reputation for inconsistent compete levels. I don't know of many warning signs for Larkin that suggest he might struggle with the transition.

I do agree that non-1st rounder is a more interesting discussion, though. I like AA. Nobody's mentioned any Dmen. I'd also be interested on perspectives on who people think will play the biggest part in the team's future blue line. It seems very unclear at this point to me.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

I picked him, even when we were including first rounders. So it's clear where I stand. But if we exclude him then there are some really interesting names out there. Bertuzzi, Pulkkinen, Turgeon, Sproul, Mrazek, Holmstrom, Saarijarvi, etc.

I seen aa play a few years back when he was in barrie and was really impressed with him, started looking for talk on him which led me to this site.

I don't know why you're deriding "the same folks" - I think common sense would make most people excited about our highest picks. Once we see more of players then start to know about potential steals in the later rounds, but draft order obviously reflects their achievements up to that point.

Excitement for Larkin seems to be on a stronger footing than Mantha last year (I'm not writing Mantha off at all - I just think he'll struggle for a bit and hopefully he can adapt/develop/overcome). We saw Larkin at College, we saw him at the World Juniors, the World Championship, Grand Rapids playoffs. He stood out everywhere and adapted to the AHL right away.

At this point last year, we hadn't seen Mantha against NHLers or in the AHL. He already had some struggles in the Memorial cup and had the reputation for inconsistent compete levels. I don't know of many warning signs for Larkin that suggest he might struggle with the transition.

I do agree that non-1st rounder is a more better discussion. I like AA. Nobody's mentioned any Dmen. I'd also be interested on perspectives on who people think will play the biggest part in the team's future blue line. It seems very unclear at this point to me.

I disagree. A LOT of folks (fans, media, management, etc.) were all but penciling Mantha into a full time spot on the Wings last year. A spot on Pav's wing was almost his to lose in the minds of many. NOBODY is talking about Larkin making the team out of training camp. Nobody is kicking around the idea of giving him Nyquist and Abby and seeing how things go. Hopefully because most folks learned their lesson from a year ago. People should be excited about Larkin, he's a good prospect. But I'd wait until he's played more than a handful of games in the AHL before I go too crazy. As we saw last year, what you did after 50 games in the AHL is far more telling that what you did after 150 in lower leagues.

I seen aa play a few years back when he was in barrie and was really impressed with him, started looking for talk on him which led me to this site.

I followed him back then, but didn't really think he would be that great. Back then he was fast and small and doing reasonably well in Juniors (something I don't really put much stock in). I attributed his success to being really quick in a noncompetitive league. Only after he grew a few inches, gained some weight, and tore up the AHL as a rookie did I start thinking he had some real potential on our hands. I absolutely did not see it coming.

He seems to be more like Toews on the ice, but what do I know ive barely seen him play.

yeah that's what I heard but of the few clips I've seen of him he's a really good playmaker, i just hope we see this kid in pre season, really feel like he has a chance to be a great two way forward, just hope he gets to play with Pav maybe some magic will rub off on him

Larkin is the safest bet, (such smooth progression) and at the moment has little competition for his projected role. Mantha has an upside that may be even greater but a few more question marks, and may have more competition. Neither will see more than a handful of games this year, just as mantha was very unlikely to make the team even before his injury.

Looking at lower draft picks, AA is the one who looks most nailed on at NHL level and probably has the highest ceiling, but I think Holmstrom has an alluring mix of intensity and smarts.

D-wise, I think all are 2nd/3rd pairing guys, but I love marchenko's gone and think he has upside...

I disagree. A LOT of folks (fans, media, management, etc.) were all but penciling Mantha into a full time spot on the Wings last year. A spot on Pav's wing was almost his to lose in the minds of many. NOBODY is talking about Larkin making the team out of training camp. Nobody is kicking around the idea of giving him Nyquist and Abby and seeing how things go. Hopefully because most folks learned their lesson from a year ago. People should be excited about Larkin, he's a good prospect. But I'd wait until he's played more than a handful of games in the AHL before I go too crazy. As we saw last year, what you did after 50 games in the AHL is far more telling that what you did after 150 in lower leagues.

I don't really think we dissagree on anything here, actually. I agree that expectations for Larkin don't seem to as crazy as they were for Mantha last year. I do think that is people learning their lesson a bit, but Mantha also had the crazy high offensive numbers and pure goal scorers are more sexy and get more excitement behind them

In my previous post I wasn't saying that expectations for Larkin should be higher - I meant that we have more/better evidence that he will succeed because we've seen him play in many different situations and with NHL and AHL player and seen him succeed. We didn't have that for Mantha. Also, Mantha had the bad reputation (founded or not) of inconsistant compete level whereas there hasn't been any similar knock to a specific part of Larkins' game.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

I think our top 5 probably looks something like...

1.) Larkin

2.) Athanasiou

3.) Mantha

4.) Svechnikov

5.) Bertuzzi

Kind of scary that not a single one of our top 5 prospects is a defenseman... I still believe Sproul is the defense prospect with the highest potential, I just really hope he gets there. I don't see any of our other defense prospects becoming anything more than a 4/5.

Hickets anyone.... He has been impressive in the World Jr Summer Dev. camp. He is wearing the "A"

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/the-next-captain-canada~671561

http://www.tsn.ca/related/tag?Tag=Joe%20Hicketts

nice goal vs Russia (Svechnikov 6 PIM and invisible)

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/summer-showcase-canada-4-russia-1~670908

Hickets anyone.... He has been impressive in the World Jr Summer Dev. camp. He is wearing the "A"

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/the-next-captain-canada~671561

http://www.tsn.ca/related/tag?Tag=Joe%20Hicketts

nice goal vs Russia (Svechnikov 6 PIM and invisible)

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/summer-showcase-canada-4-russia-1~670908

I had such high expectations for Svechnikov. Oh well, looks like we got another Mantha