• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Non-Wings You've Grown to Like

Rate this topic

Sean Monahan.

If you like his sense of humour, BoringSeanMonahan is the best twitter around, although he rarely updates any more. I don't follow anyone, but I regularly check up on him.

Edited by 55fan

Pavel Bure?

I always liked him, though. I thought this thread was about players you once didn't like, but then changed your mind on?

Or is that not so?

Hey, I finally thought of somebody that fits the mold. Tie Domi. I used to not like him when he played, but admire him more when I watch footage of his, being a smaller man who took on much bigger fighters and used his style to his advantage.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Oh... I thought "grown to love" meant that you didn't like them just because they were Wings.

In that case... I've grown to love Ryan Suter now that he's with the Wild. Hated him with the Preds.

Valeri Kharlamov

Not sure if you're Canadian, but I'm guessing a lot of Canadians would feel this way. They hated him during the Summit Series because he was the USSR's best player, but they respected his unique skill and grew to like him over time. Dying at an early age also helped his myth.

No secret why he was the first Russian skater in the HHOF.

Dats plays similar to how Kharlamov did. Even their stature is like.

I don't see it. Kharlamov was a much better skater and better goal scorer. He was actually smaller than Datsyuk as well. Also, he played as a winger. Their biggest similarity is they were Russian and could both handle the puck like almost nobody else in their eras.

It's a shame he, Tretiak and Fetisov never got to play their primes in the NHL. Fetisov is the only one of those three that played in the league at all.

David Backes....

used to hate him because of the blues hatred/jealousy towards the red wings.

but after hearing his story about saving stray animals in Russia...and his devotion to animal welfare here in the states...him & Patrick Eaves are "real-life favorites"

musicians...actors...athletes...gotta show some real qualities beyond their profession to gain respect from me.

(someone CC this to Patrick Kane) :glare:

Not sure if you're Canadian, but I'm guessing a lot of Canadians would feel this way. They hated him during the Summit Series because he was the USSR's best player, but they respected his unique skill and grew to like him over time. Dying at an early age also helped his myth.

ami = Bobby Clarke

No, I'm Russian and I litterally grown up watching him play.

His death doesn't help anything.

ami = Bobby Clarke

:lol:

No, I hate him. Hi's #2 on my hate list.

(#1 is of cause claude ******* lemieux)

I've actually always liked Ovechkin, but I didn't know where else to put this...

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 53m53 minutes ago

Ovechkin has 475 goals in 760 games. Fedorov had 483 goals in 1,248 games. Clearly different players, but 8 goals and 488 games is amazing.

He's more of a goal scorer, so he should score more GPG.

I think when he retires, he'll be considered by experts as the best Russian player in history. Ahead of Fedorov, Tretiak, Fetisov, Makarov, Kharlamov, Bure and others. He's putting up big numbers in a league where that isn't done anymore consistently. He's led his team in goals and points every year he's been in the league.

Even if he never makes the Finals, he'll likely be regarded as the best Russian player ever. Maybe not by people back in Russia, but by most NHL experts.

He's more of a goal scorer, so he should score more GPG.

I think when he retires, he'll be considered by experts as the best Russian player in history. Ahead of Fedorov, Tretiak, Fetisov, Makarov, Kharlamov, Bure and others. He's putting up big numbers in a league where that isn't done anymore consistently. He's led his team in goals and points every year he's been in the league.

Even if he never makes the Finals, he'll likely be regarded as the best Russian player ever. Maybe not by people back in Russia, but by most NHL experts.

He's pretty obviously the best Russian player. He's very close to being one of the best players in NHL history, period. He'll eventually win a Cup too, and when he does that will pretty much solidify it.

He's pretty obviously the best Russian player. He's very close to being one of the best players in NHL history, period. He'll eventually win a Cup too, and when he does that will pretty much solidify it.

I would say if Ovechkin retires tomorrow, he's the second greatest left winger in hockey history.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I would say if Ovechkin retires tomorrow, he's the second greatest left winger in hockey history.

I don't really disagree. You've probably dug a little more into it then I have, but I saw an article about a year ago comparing his goal scoring to some of the all time greats and when adjusted for the era he was right in line with Bossy, Hull, and the like. So it's not too hard to believe.

I should qualify, that Ovechkin has played right wing a lot lately.

As far as left wing goes, Bobby Hull is the best in hockey history. After that, I'd put Ovechkin, ahead of guys like Lindsay and Kharlamov.

Not sure where I'd rank Kirk Maltby on that list.

Edited by GMRwings1983