• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Canadian_Yzerman_Fan

Help. Seeking DRW management team contact

Rate this topic

Hi LGW'ers

I haven't been active on these boards in quite a while, but I'm looking for some help.

I'm actively looking to make a career move into hockey analytics and I would love to connect with someone in the Red Wings management team. I have reached out to a few other teams, but working with the Red Wings would be a dream come true.

If you happen to be connected to anyone in the organization, please PM me. I am hoping to forward them a brief online presentation that I have created on the topic of hockey analytics.

Thank you!

Not a joke. The member has posted before regarding this type of job

From what I've found out the teams are contacting the guys they want to hire, i.e. Dubas (who was a GM in juniors), Dello and the other were former bloggers. So I guess the best chance the member would be trying to get their attention first and he is deemed good enough they might contact him.

From what I've found out the teams are contacting the guys they want to hire, i.e. Dubas (who was a GM in juniors), Dello and the other were former bloggers. So I guess the best chance the member would be trying to get their attention first and he is deemed good enough they might contact him.

Exactly!

I'm not sure what part of my post made it sound like a joke.

I've never posted about the topic either.

I don't think there is any linear way to get into the field. I have a (relevant) science research background, but no contacts in hockey.

Talking to people in the right places would help a lot.

Edited by Canadian_Yzerman_Fan

I don't think there is any linear way to get into the field. I have a (relevant) science research background, but no contacts in hockey.

Another way to get around somebody from management is to take part in related conferences - analytics (you must've heard about MIT Sloan Sport Analytics - http://www.sloansportsconference.com/), sport management, etc.

My daughter is attempting a career in sports management and she went to this year Sports Managment Conference at NHL Draft (https://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/conferences/nhl-draft-sports-career-conference). This conference along has helped to get a few very good contacts.

Edited by ami

Thanks Ami,

Those conferences are definitely a good idea and I'm interested in attending them... They're just a little far off time-wise. I intend to be pro-active in the meantime.

What's your educational background, if you don't mind me asking? That could be a unique way to present your qualifications.

What's your educational background, if you don't mind me asking? That could be a unique way to present your qualifications.

I have a Masters in neuroscience.

Obviously there's no direct link, but... I understand the relational aspects of data, and how to effectively make comparisons and design experiments using statistics. My inclination to hockey analytics is the idea of mixing those data-related skills with my personal interest for the content of hockey.

Im not sure what he does with the organization anymore but I do know Joey Kocur on a semi personal level.

PM'ing you.

I guess I just don't understand asking complete strangers to use their connections to get you an interview. You could be some sort of lunatic. You want in, go knock on their door. If they don't open, you didn't knock right.

That's one way to make people feel welcomed here! ;)

I honestly don't know how you could, sorry.

Of all the crappy attitude comments that get made, this is the one that crosses that particular line?

I guess I just don't understand asking complete strangers to use their connections to get you an interview. You could be some sort of lunatic. You want in, go knock on their door. If they don't open, you didn't knock right.

Of all the crappy attitude comments that get made, this is the one that crosses that particular line?

Since you brought it up

Actually you have made many and I don't think you like being called out on it

Keep the thread productive, if you want help out then do so, if not keep a moving please

Since you brought it up

Actually you have made many and I don't think you like being called out on it

Keep the thread productive, if you want help out then do so, if not keep a moving please

"Many" is pushing it, but I'll certainly admit to a few, and always it was being returned in kind.

But since you brought it up, keep the thread productive.

This place is a community and I know there are a lot of good people here.

I am a part of many communities, and I try to help people within them whenever I can. In my experience others try to do the same. It's nice.

If someone reads my original post and thinks I'm nuts... Then I guess they won't help me. I did my best to be honest and sincere.

"Many" is pushing it, but I'll certainly admit to a few, and always it was being returned in kind.

But since you brought it up, keep the thread productive.

Remember this is a hockey board and we generally try to work together as a team..... Stay classy *strokes mustache and adjusts tie*

Anchorman out

I don't know you, but I wish you luck.

Have you considered reaching out to a minor league team? They might be more inclined to hear you out than a big-league team.

Hockey analytics is still in it's infancy. It's not really a thing at the minor leagues level from what I can tell. There isn't as much dedication to tracking... Though I am having conversations with another company that isn't directly affiliated with any one team.

More and more NHL teams are coming around to seeing what they can get out of data, so I would imagine there's room for someone like me in a few places in the league right now. The only thing I ever heard relating to the Red Wings and analytics was Babcocks interest in it about a year ago. So I may be going up the wrong tree here, but it's my favourite tree.

Hockey analytics is still in it's infancy. It's not really a thing at the minor leagues level from what I can tell. There isn't as much dedication to tracking... Though I am having conversations with another company that isn't directly affiliated with any one team.

More and more NHL teams are coming around to seeing what they can get out of data, so I would imagine there's room for someone like me in a few places in the league right now. The only thing I ever heard relating to the Red Wings and analytics was Babcocks interest in it about a year ago. So I may be going up the wrong tree here, but it's my favourite tree.

Hockey analytics will be the future, whether anyone likes it not; you are going into the right field. I am not saying people need to use them, and disregard watching players but it measures a player in ways that you cannot by using your own eyes. I use them religiously in Baseball and I can measure a players ability offensively and defensively just by looking at the numbers instead of having to watching a 3-4 hour game on a daily basis for 162 days of the year.

I believe all sports will eventually have analytics in some capacity, although it's nothing new.

For example in 1960 this was written by GM Joe Brown when Roberto Clemente asked for a raise. Joe was using analytics to illustrate why he didn't deserve one.

ClementeLetter080215.png

KATIE! Don't you know it's IMPOSSIBLE for any of us to know ANYONE who has or used to have anything to do with the Red Wings organization!?!? Haven't you learned that yet!?!? Sheesh! :hysterical:

Anyhow, good luck to you on the job C Y Fan! It would be great to work in the sports industry let alone for your favorite team! Keep us all informed!

KATIE! Don't you know it's IMPOSSIBLE for any of us to know ANYONE who has or used to have anything to do with the Red Wings organization!?!? Haven't you learned that yet!?!? Sheesh! :hysterical:

Anyhow, good luck to you on the job C Y Fan! It would be great to work in the sports industry let alone for your favorite team! Keep us all informed!

I've got a buddy in the organization that tells me Darren Helm is tough enough that he shaves with a blowtorch.