• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sputman

Red Wings Sign D Robbie Russo

Rate this topic

Interesting. I've never heard of him but he was drafted by NYI in the 4th round four years ago. I suppose he starts below Kronwall, Green, Dekeyser, Ericsson, Quincey, Smith, Kindl, Marchenko, Ouellet, Jensen and Sproul making him the 12th defenceman in the depth chart. He's as old as Ouellet and Sproul and year younger than Marchenko.

I wasn't aware Lebda was 6'1", right handed, and a somewhat physical player...

6'1",5'9".............right handed, left handed. Its all the same right.....lol

Now that I took my tongue out of my cheek, I like it. It appears to be a low risk signing, and the last time I remember KH taking a chance like this was with DD and we all know how that worked out. Not saying he will be DD, but former captain of Notre Dame seems like something to be slightly excited about. Cant have too many prospects.

Right handed shot defenseman with decent size and mobility. Over a point per game in his final year of NCAA. I like it.

Also, the highly touted Mike Reilly, that a lot of Wings fans wanted to sign, who eventually signed with the Wild, finished with one more point than Russo. Russo was selected 95th overall by the Islanders in the 2011 draft while Reilly was selected 98th overall by the Blue Jackets the same year...

I like this signing a lot...

Right handed shot defenseman with decent size and mobility. Over a point per game in his final year of NCAA. I like it.

Also, the highly touted Mike Reilly, that a lot of Wings fans wanted to sign, who eventually signed with the Wild, finished with one more point than Russo. Russo was selected 95th overall by the Islanders in the 2011 draft while Reilly was selected 98th overall by the Blue Jackets the same year...

Yup. It's always great to get a "free" pick. Solid track record with Lashoff, DeKeyser and Hicketts. Even if you don't see Lashoff as a good pickup, he's a serviceable defender. Russo was drafted, unlike the others, but still... free. I like free.

Has to be a bit of a kick in the pants for a guy like Sproul, though. Not that Sproul has stepped up, but this most likely leaves him as the 7th defender in GR.

Edited by Jesusberg

Low risk signing but remember 1st round picks don't mean much unless they pan out.

Yup. It's always great to get a "free" pick. Solid track record with Lashoff, DeKeyser and Hicketts. Even if you don't see Lashoff as a good pickup, he's a serviceable defender. Russo was drafted, unlike the others, but still... free. I like free.

Has to be a bit of a kick in the pants for a guy like Sproul, though. Not that Sproul has stepped up, but this most likely leaves him as the 7th defender in GR.

Based on reading the articles Russo had to sit out due to academic issues and also needed learn to be an all around defenseman and he has? Or something on that order.

You are right, it is free. Lashoff puzzles me, with most of our defense, can look stellar then lost for one season or small groups of games (individual players)

I agree that this has likely lowered Sproul on the depth chart unless there is a trade on the way, which I see as a real possibility. I'd like to see us put a decent package together to make an upgrade on the back end. I know Kindl doesn't have much value, but maybe Kindl, Ouellet and another roster player (forward) could get us something... Sproul just has way too much upside to be sitting in Grand Rapids...

I agree that this has likely lowered Sproul on the depth chart unless there is a trade on the way, which I see as a real possibility. I'd like to see us put a decent package together to make an upgrade on the back end. I know Kindl doesn't have much value, but maybe Kindl, Ouellet and another roster player (forward) could get us something... Sproul just has way too much upside to be sitting in Grand Rapids...

Enhh. I've always liked Sproul, but it seems as if his defensive game isn't coming around the way it should. He was scratched something like 21 games by Blashill last season - 11 in the playoffs. If he's already in his dog house...

Granted, I do think there needs to be some kind of trade to improve the defense. I'd like to see an upgrade in the top-four. With Detroit's cap situation, it would pretty much have to be an equal amount of cap (if not more, depending on Franzen's situation) coming back the other way. Cap sites have them anywhere from 964K-1.5M over the cap right now. General Fanager has them 300K or so under, but they don't account for bonus money.

He had to sit out the second half of the 2013-14 season due to "academic issues". After seeing Smith dominate offensively at the college level but look dumb as a rock in the NHL, I hope we're not getting a right-handed version of the same thing.

Like the signing since it cost us nothing so that's always good , just gotta hope he and pans out now

That being said what does sproul has too much upside to be sitting in Grand Rapids have to do with anything... He can have all the upside but if he's struggling in Grand Rapids he shouldn't be with the wings or the nhl , a lot of talented kids never made it

Let's hope sproul goes crazy this year cause we really need him to be a good redwing player for many years

"Unlike Hawks prospect Ryan Hartman, a West Dundee, Ill. native, and Hawks backup goaltender Scott Darling, a Lemont, Ill. native, Russo did not grow up a Hawks fan despite the proximity to the team. Russo was a Red Wings fan growing up, according to Second City Hockey staff writer Ryan Hood, who attended high school with him for two years."

"Russo came back to Notre Dame after missing the second half of last season due to academic problems and has been a leader for a young Irish team all season, recently earning the right to wear the captain's 'C'. Russo is a solid all-around player, though he likely lacks size to be a big defensive presence at the pro level. He's added a more offensive dimension to his game this season, however, as one of the top-scoring defenseman in all of college hockey."

Nice and somewhat surprising signing. Does anybody know why he wasn't signed by the Islanders ?

Most of what I've read cites the Islanders having a lot of defensive depth/Russo knowing that the Isles have 4-5 guys they think are ahead of him at this point. He also missed half a season the previous year due to academic issues.

Most of what I've read cites the Islanders having a lot of defensive depth/Russo knowing that the Isles have 4-5 guys they think are ahead of him at this point. He also missed half a season the previous year due to academic issues.

Article supporting your readings

http://islanderspointblank.com/news/report-prospect-robbie-russo-will-not-be-an-islander/

This confuses me. Where does Russo fit on the Wings' depth chart? We have Marchenko, Oulette, Sproul all knocking on the door, plus Kronwall, Ericsson, Green, Dekeyser, Smith, Kindl, and Quincey. I would have imagined he would sign somewhere where he's more likely to play given that he lost his job with the Islanders due to depth.

This confuses me. Where does Russo fit on the Wings' depth chart? We have Marchenko, Oulette, Sproul all knocking on the door, plus Kronwall, Ericsson, Green, Dekeyser, Smith, Kindl, and Quincey. I would have imagined he would sign somewhere where he's more likely to play given that he lost his job with the Islanders due to depth.

Agreed, as the article states he wants a chance to crack the line up.... Package deal for a trade?

I don't understand it either

Edited by Rivalred

Can't see kindl Quincey and smith having longterm futures in detroit

As for ouellet marchenko sproul and jensen who knows what'll happen with them , if they were top pairing guys they'd have forced there way on to the team(not saying none of them are nhl worthy at the moment)

+ he probably sees dekeyser who came straight from college and got in soon in the wings lineup and is performing as where as schultz and the other dmen to sign so far haven't done much

And in the article it mentions he's a redwings fan , if I was a college hockey player who turned free agent I'd sign with my favourite team if they wanted me ... At the end of the day regardless of where you play your gonna have to play your best if you wanna stick around

These players who want the easy in and want to go play for Edmonton and bottom teams I'd bet money they wont have great careers