• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sputman

Red Wings Sign D Robbie Russo

Rate this topic

Can't see kindl Quincey and smith having longterm futures in detroit

As for ouellet marchenko sproul and jensen who knows what'll happen with them , if they were top pairing guys they'd have forced there way on to the team(not saying none of them are nhl worthy at the moment)

+ he probably sees dekeyser who came straight from college and got in soon in the wings lineup and is performing as where as schultz and the other dmen to sign so far haven't done much

And in the article it mentions he's a redwings fan , if I was a college hockey player who turned free agent I'd sign with my favourite team if they wanted me ... At the end of the day regardless of where you play your gonna have to play your best if you wanna stick around

These players who want the easy in and want to go play for Edmonton and bottom teams I'd bet money they wont have great careers

Edmonton is going to be very different type of team...

And KFQ played solid last year

Edited by Rivalred

I like the deal and even if he doesn't turn out as another Dekeyser it didn't cost anything. At least it will increase competition and the Wings have lacked someone willing to use his size, dishing out hits (Kronwall will even do less of it thanks to the suspension) and willing to drop the gloves so it's a nice change.

apparently yesterday, (saturday) was the first day of free agency for college players off the draft hook.

wings brass sent the scouts after him immediately....who know whats next.

we may see more action this week for the wining & dining is going on now.

With 7 one way D in Detroit, and now 11 D in Grand Rapids it sure seems like some deal is on the cards whichever way you look at it. I know some will be going down to Toledo, but it bodes well for the future. I believe we have 5 rh on the D in GRs so I really think Blash will won't one of those in Detroit to go with Greens rh shot. But who ?

And KFQ played solid last year

Few would disagree. The point is that there's probably not room for him next year with all the kids coming up. Especially since many play similar styles to Quincey's but are much cheaper.

This is a sneaky-good add. I've seen him play a couple times and I remember being impressed. Not "Holy ***!" impressed, but certainly "Huh, I'll have to remember that name. I hope he's on the Wings' radar" impressed. It's safe to say he's NHL-ready or somewhere thereabouts. Should we expect a trade or two? Honestly, I'm kinda surprised he signed with us, given our logjam. Maybe he knows something we don't (i.e. Kenny told him the logjam won't be a thing much longer). Or maybe there wasn't much interest in him. Or maybe this was a factor:

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2015/6/2/8707385/could-blackhawks-target-soon-to-be-free-agent-notre-dame-defenseman-robbie-russo?_ga=1.119500425.1206362005.1439812391

Russo was a Red Wings fan growing up, according to Second City Hockey staff writer Ryan Hood, who attended high school with him for two years.

In any case, we've added a very good young defenseman at zero cost.

Sproul didn't put up the points he is capable of last season (although still not horrible numbers) but I expect him to come in rejuvenated and ready to prove himself under new head coach, Todd Nelson. For a defenseman that has played such an offensive minded game his entire career, and has never really had to concentrate on the defensive side of the puck, Sproul really isn't that bad in his own zone. He improved leaps and bounds last season in that area, and I expect him to continue to get better as long as he gets the ice time.

nyquististhefuture, when did I ever say anything about Sproul being with the Wings or in the NHL? Yes, Sproul has a ton of upside, but it's more than that in my opinion. I still rank him as our most talented defensive prospect. He is not the most NHL ready because he still has some kinks to work out in his game, but how does he work on his game without seeing ice time? I didn't hate Blashill scratching him a few games last regular season to light a fire under him, and it worked. However, I was disappointed to see him scratched in the playoffs because I thought he was playing really well despite his numbers. I guess I do get why Blash did it though, defensive hockey wins in the playoffs... If we're talking raw talent, Sproul is the undisputed number one in my book. I'd put Hicketts at number two, but his lack of size may inhibit his ability to make it to the NHL.

Bottom line, there has to be some sort of trade coming. I do believe there is such thing as too much depth, and we are certainly teetering on that right now...

Great trade off in my opinion. I was never very high on Marshall, although I do admit never seeing him play a full game. So other than a few highlights and scouting reports, I didn't have much to base an opinion on...

Either way, we essentially upgraded our prospect pool at the defense position with zero cost.

Can't see kindl Quincey and smith having longterm futures in detroit

As for ouellet marchenko sproul and jensen who knows what'll happen with them , if they were top pairing guys they'd have forced there way on to the team(not saying none of them are nhl worthy at the moment)

+ he probably sees dekeyser who came straight from college and got in soon in the wings lineup and is performing as where as schultz and the other dmen to sign so far haven't done much

And in the article it mentions he's a redwings fan , if I was a college hockey player who turned free agent I'd sign with my favourite team if they wanted me ... At the end of the day regardless of where you play your gonna have to play your best if you wanna stick around

These players who want the easy in and want to go play for Edmonton and bottom teams I'd bet money they wont have great careers

I'm guessing the bolded has something to do with it. Considering he was signed almost immediately after he became a free agent, I'm assuming he either wanted to come to Detroit and wasn't considering much else, or Detroit was the only team who came calling.

Sure would like to see a trade to get better up front...

As much as we could use a bona fide top-pairing defenseman, I do wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to target a top-end forward like Eric Staal. Having Datsyuk, Staal, and Zetterberg/Sheahan/Richards/Larkin as our top three centermen would probably help us more than having Byfuglien on the top pairing would, even if the asking price for Staal would be considerably higher. Plus, with Datsyuk wearing down and possibly coming up on the end of his NHL career and with Zetterberg clearly in decline, we could really use a younger top-tier centerman who could lighten the load on our two superstars and hold down the 1C spot when Datsyuk retires/gets too old for the job.