• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

Worst Free Agent Signings Ever

Rate this topic

http://www.therichest.com/sports/hockey-sports/12-worst-free-agent-signings-in-nhl-history/11/

No surprise Stephen Weiss is on the list. And Ville Leino rightfully made the list as well. Can you guys think of any other signings that should've made the list? Hate to say, but I actually wanted David Clarkson during his free agency period. Thank God we dodged that bullet. :bye1:

Derian Hatcher. Signed him to a huge deal. Plays 4 games. He gets injured. Illitch paid him $10 mil to go away so we could get under the 39 mil cap in 05-06.

I was so excited when we got him. That was a bad break, though. He was a tough player to play against before the lockout.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Hatcher was a beast for Dallas especially in those playoff series vs Forsberg. His game was not suited for post lockout 2005-06. Big,mean and tough but was a slow skater. At the time most Wings fans were excited. It took away some of the sting when Feds signed with the Ducks. It just never worked out unfortunately.

Hatcher was a beast for Dallas especially in those playoff series vs Forsberg. His game was not suited for post lockout 2005-06. Big,mean and tough but was a slow skater. At the time most Wings fans were excited. It took away some of the sting when Feds signed with the Ducks. It just never worked out unfortunately.

Hatcher signed the same day Selanne and Kariya signed with the Avalanche. I think Kariya signed a deal for like $10 per game just to win a Cup.

I suppose the salary cap and how high the average salaries are reasons why recent bad contracts are even worse than they used to be. Still it would be interesting to read about bad contracts from previous decades. Something like in 1953 Bruins gave a monstrous $500/year contract to a defender who ended up being a bust and the francise barely escaped bankruptcy.

Nobody remembers bad contracts from yesteryear because bad signing almost exclusively include players who turned out to be underwhelming. And history doesn't tend to remember bad players. Nobody really puts in the time to chronicle really underwhelming stuff. Everybody remembers really good meals they've had, but almost nobody remembers meals that weren't up to snuff.

Free agency didn't really start until the late 80s and early 90s. Before that most player movement was made via trade. I recall when Shanahan was signed as a RFA by the Blues and as compensation the Devils were awarded Scott Stevens. After that the RFA compensation scale was introduced.

To this day I feel bad for Trevor Linden when the Canucks signed Messier, and more or less stripped away the 'C' from him.

Messier didn't have much success from that point on.

Oh wow! :nervous: How did that not get mentioned? That's worse than any signing on this list.

Of course, Messier revisionists would like to pretend it didn't happen. This is a man who named an award after himself.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/hockey-sports/12-worst-free-agent-signings-in-nhl-history/11/

No surprise Stephen Weiss is on the list. And Ville Leino rightfully made the list as well. Can you guys think of any other signings that should've made the list? Hate to say, but I actually wanted David Clarkson during his free agency period. Thank God we dodged that bullet. :bye1:

funny thing I remember a month or so ago someone still wanting Clarkson on a thread.