• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Getting bigger.

Rate this topic

Whether or not players USED to be afraid to play against Franzen...they aren't now, nor have they been for about 6 years. He was never a "power forward" and now he isn't even a "soft Euro." He is nothing. He will cause us to lose players for the next 5 years just so he can "try" to play...players who may not be superstars, but players who deserve a roster spot over him for sure.

Edited by LeftWinger

Whether or not players USED to be afraid to play against Franzen...they aren't now, nor have they been for about 6 years. He was never a "power forward" and now he isn't even a "soft Euro." He is nothing. He will cause us to lose players for the next 5 years just so he can "try" to play...players who may not be superstars, but players who deserve a roster spot over him for sure.

We're gonna lose Emmerton and Andersson because of that piece of ****???? Nooooooooo

Scoff all you want, but we already lost Andrej Nastrasil for nothing. When will the madness end?!?

Still can't believe we allowed Jan Mursak to get poached by the KHL. DAMN YOU FRANZEN!! *shakes fist at sky*

Edited by number9

Thew whole power forward thing drives me nuts sometimes. I think you can look at a guys like Ovechkin, Backes and Lucic (had an off-year, offensively) say that they've got the size, hitting and point totals to be "pure" power forwards.

Guys like Bouma, Wingels and Beleskey have the hits, but their point totals are in the 30's. Are they power forwards, or just skilled grinder/complimentary wingers?

Guys like Jagr, Franzen and Kopitar have the size, use their size to shield the puck well, but they don't throw the hits.

Guys like Nick Foligno and Ryan Callahan throw hits and score a respectable number of points... not exactly the biggest guys, though. Again, skilled grinders? How would you classify them?

Is Justin Abdelkader a power forward?

What separates a skilled grinder from power forward in terms of point totals? What separates a big-bodied playmaker/sniper from a power forwards in terms of hits? I think it's subjective at this point - the "pure" power forward is a dying breed.

For me it's very simple a power forward does it all, he scores, hits and occasionally fights. There are a lot forwards with great size but not all of them are using it.

It's a shame that there are less and less power forwards because they are entertaining as hell to watch and thanks to their versatility they can play in almost every situation.

By losing Looooch the Bruins lost more than just a forward they've lost as tough as nails power forward who would do everything to win.

I think rabbitraider is kind of the prototypical power forward these days, big bodied, hits, can score points if you put him with skilled guys, or will grind if you out him on a checking line, and will drop the gloves to stick up for himself/his teammates but doesnt take unnecessary penalties like lucic will.

I also think this is what babs was trying to turn Jurco into because he seen a 6'2 220 lb kid who could skate and said, this is a bigger, better, faster Abby.

But I think Jurco is a sniper/dangler, just miscast.

Go watch highlights from His first season.

His first goal was a dangle, and he had some decent snipes.

Also some of his passes were beautiful.

That between the legs deflection pass of the point wasnt something you see unskilled guys do.

I'm hoping blash uses him differently, because he's 22 and already having back issues, let him be him, and don't force him into a role that's Harder on his back while he has to learn to be a grit guy.

Thew whole power forward thing drives me nuts sometimes. I think you can look at a guys like Ovechkin, Backes and Lucic (had an off-year, offensively) say that they've got the size, hitting and point totals to be "pure" power forwards.

Guys like Bouma, Wingels and Beleskey have the hits, but their point totals are in the 30's. Are they power forwards, or just skilled grinder/complimentary wingers?

Guys like Jagr, Franzen and Kopitar have the size, use their size to shield the puck well, but they don't throw the hits.

Guys like Nick Foligno and Ryan Callahan throw hits and score a respectable number of points... not exactly the biggest guys, though. Again, skilled grinders? How would you classify them?

Is Justin Abdelkader a power forward?

What separates a skilled grinder from power forward in terms of point totals? What separates a big-bodied playmaker/sniper from a power forwards in terms of hits? I think it's subjective at this point - the "pure" power forward is a dying breed.

Good question. It is subjective and difficult to define.

It seems like this phrase is commonly associated with players from the late 80's and early 90's. I'm talking Shanahan, Tocchet, Neely, Tkachuk, Kevin Stevens,etc. Usually wingers too. I mentioned Lindros earlier, but come to think of it, I don't remember him getting that moniker, despite having all the qualities of the others. Also, scoring lots of goals seems to be important to the definition. No one called Probert a power forward, even though he was a big guy that could score goals and was a great fighter. His definition is "enforcer". I don't remember Claude Lemieux being called a power forward either. He had size and could score dirty goals and fight. So the definition wasn't just guys that hit, fight and score dirty goals, but score lots of goals (as in All Star level). If this sounds silly, just remember that it's a subjective definition.

Modern day players are the hardest to classify, because there's so few fights now. Lucic is the guy that most reminds me of those players I mentioned. For different reasons, each of the other names you mentioned, I don't think of as power forwards.

Then there's revisionist history, which looks at guys like Howe or Esposito and asks whether they were power forwards?

Confused yet?

Good question. It is subjective and difficult to define.

It seems like this phrase is commonly associated with players from the late 80's and early 90's. I'm talking Shanahan, Tocchet, Neely, Tkachuk, Kevin Stevens,etc. Usually wingers too. I mentioned Lindros earlier, but come to think of it, I don't remember him getting that moniker, despite having all the qualities of the others. Also, scoring lots of goals seems to be important to the definition. No one called Probert a power forward, even though he was a big guy that could score goals and was a great fighter. His definition is "enforcer". I don't remember Claude Lemieux being called a power forward either. He had size and could score dirty goals and fight. So the definition wasn't just guys that hit, fight and score dirty goals, but score lots of goals (as in All Star level). If this sounds silly, just remember that it's a subjective definition.

Modern day players are the hardest to classify, because there's so few fights now. Lucic is the guy that most reminds me of those players I mentioned. For different reasons, each of the other names you mentioned, I don't think of as power forwards.

Then there's revisionist history, which looks at guys like Howe or Esposito and asks whether they were power forwards?

Confused yet?

I guess that's the point, right? I think that with fighting down, the term "power forward" has changed for some and become obsolete for others.

Personally, I don't consider guys like Jagr or Franzen as power forwards. I do, however, have a bigger list than just Lucic. I think if he qualifies as today's power forward, then guys like Backes, Kreider and Landeskog need to be in the conversation. Perhaps with higher point totals, guys like Maroon, Kassian and Chris Stewart could enter the conversation, too. I mean, Lucic only had 3 majors last season, so it's not as if he's dropping them all the time. I don't really think that "fighting" needs to be of what makes a player a power forward - not anymore.

It seems to me as if the 2015 version of the power forward is a guy who's over 210lbs, can pot 20ish goals, throw a fair number of hits and rack up some PIM's. The guys getting the high PIM's and fighting like Neely and Shanahan did are grinders now. People have either altered their definition of the power forward, or decided it shouldn't be used to describe players in the NHL, anymore.

tbh being physical isn't the only thing that makes you difficult to play against. And the best guys who have size can learn to use it even without being that physical. Take a guy like Z. Not the biggest, but incredibly strong on the puck and really hard to knock off it. Same with Datsyuk, and we're seeing the same thing with Nyquist. Thus if you're big and strong, you don't have to be running people over to have an impact with that size.

I had his name next to Landeskog's, then deleted it, because he's 183lbs... which is ridiculous on my part. Definitely has a power forward vibe to his game.

Simmonds is definitely a power forward. Which is even more impressive given how scrawny the guy is.

I was bummed when the Kings traded him (though it ultimately worked out) and it wasn't to the Wings.

Harold...That language being used on the video!

For a mod I had held you on a higher level of standards here at LGW.

:lol: - who am I kidding - that's an old school power forward at his finest.

EDIT - that last confrontation at the 3:17 mark is classic 80's power forward...Nail someone hard, and follow it up with a beat down.

Ha. Honestly I watched it with the sound off so I hadn't really considered the NSFW potential of the song.