• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Curtis Glencross regrets taking hometown discount

Rate this topic

Why do you think he expects sympathy? Why should he keep his mouth shut? He's being interviewed!! Goodness gracious it's just an article about an unsigned free agent and his thoughts. No where does he come off as entitled or anything, he's just expressing that in hindsight he had what was likely one opportunity to cash in and he didn't. It's an interesting perspective on the state of the league from a non elite player.

He said he expected a contract to be done by now, but teams are'nt offering as much, and he needs a good opportunity to get an extension. The guy should take what he can get and be happy. He'll still make more in a season than alot of people will in a lifetime. I just hate hearing pro athletes complain about money. He's saying he did'nt take the opportunity to "cash in" when he could have. He made plenty of money either way. How many millions does one guy need?

good god all these stupid "athletes shouldn't complain stuff" is ridiculous. Everyone and I even spell it big EVERYONE would prefer more money over less.

X Cross did them a favor and now he feels like he got the worst end of it: a lot less money than he could have gotten and shown absolutely no loyalty by his former club.

And the difference between 10 and 16 million is still huge, we are talking about another nice beach house , a very nice Yacht, Bugatti Veron Super Sport here and nobody in his right mind would say no to that.

The same people who are saying that athletes shouldn't complain are often the same ones siding with the owners in lockouts..

The guy was asked and he gave an honest an very believable answer.

He said he expected a contract to be done by now, but teams are'nt offering as much, and he needs a good opportunity to get an extension. The guy should take what he can get and be happy. He'll still make more in a season than alot of people will in a lifetime. I just hate hearing pro athletes complain about money. He's saying he did'nt take the opportunity to "cash in" when he could have. He made plenty of money either way. How many millions does one guy need?

He didn't say he "needed" anything. He's just comparing the situations and how a third liner with most teams up against the cap are no longer a commodity.

You must be upset at every NHLer because they all negotiate for more money than they need.

As far as complaining about it, it's an interview! It's not like he's spouting off on his blog. This is how journalism works, the reporter asks a series of questions and writes up a summary sans questions. He is literally just describing a situation about his employment based on questions asked to him, I don't understand why people are criticizing him.

good god all these stupid "athletes shouldn't complain stuff" is ridiculous. Everyone and I even spell it big EVERYONE would prefer more money over less.

X Cross did them a favor and now he feels like he got the worst end of it: a lot less money than he could have gotten and shown absolutely no loyalty by his former club.

And the difference between 10 and 16 million is still huge, we are talking about another nice beach house , a very nice Yacht, Bugatti Veron Super Sport here and nobody in his right mind would say no to that.

The same people who are saying that athletes shouldn't complain are often the same ones siding with the owners in lockouts..

People are saying they should not be so concerned with money like it means everything. After there career, who pays for the big Yacht's and Bugatti's. That is the reason a large percent of athletes go broke, they demand so much money and fall into that lifestyle that when it's over they go broke. Be happy with what you have and the fact you play a sport you love, your more fortunate then 90% of the people on earth.

People are saying they should not be so concerned with money like it means everything. After there career, who pays for the big Yacht's and Bugatti's. That is the reason a large percent of athletes go broke, they demand so much money and fall into that lifestyle that when it's over they go broke. Be happy with what you have and the fact you play a sport you love, your more fortunate then 90% of the people on earth.

I've used these things just as an example between giving and not giving a discount. But you are hitting the nail on the head here what happens after career? that's why it's important to cash in while they can and not give discounts.

ideally this stuff should be paid off while receiving the big bucks, sure there are maintenance and other costs but that is nothing compared to the huge price tag.

Also most players aren't throwing money around like crazy they drive nice SUVs, buy nice condos and houses things everyone else would do but like always more often than not more is better. X Cross has seen the ugly side of the business now and is talking about what could have been which is not only his right but a smart thing to do and it should be a warning for other young player to not give discounts .

People here called me crazy after I've said that Toews could have gotten even more on the open market and it's exactly situations like this that should have players asking for as much as they can get.

27 old Stamkos is worth 100 million of he signs for something like 80 he would leave 20 million on the table that's a freaking lot and all he would receive as a thank you ... is another lockout and a team that can't wait to get rid of him when he's in his mid 30s..

The guy has a right to feel the way he feels, I can't begrudge the guy for that. But like I said before, people cant expect empathy from the general public.

I equate it to this, if a CEO of a company complains to people working the line that they didn't receive their yearly bonus, and this CEO makes 5 times what the workers on the line get paid, is it silly to expect empathy from the workers? Of course it is. When an athlete complains about money in public, should they be surprised when they get a negative response? No. Unless an athlete doesn't care about the public response, these types of things are best left said in private, not in public.

People here called me crazy after I've said that Toews could have gotten even more on the open market and it's exactly situations like this that should have players asking for as much as they can get.

No, people called you crazy when you said the highest paid player in the league "took a discount" after he saw a giant salary increase.

Edited by kliq

I've used these things just as an example between giving and not giving a discount. But you are hitting the nail on the head here what happens after career? that's why it's important to cash in while they can and not give discounts.

ideally this stuff should be paid off while receiving the big bucks, sure there are maintenance and other costs but that is nothing compared to the huge price tag.

Also most players aren't throwing money around like crazy they drive nice SUVs, buy nice condos and houses things everyone else would do but like always more often than not more is better. X Cross has seen the ugly side of the business now and is talking about what could have been which is not only his right but a smart thing to do and it should be a warning for other young player to not give discounts .

27 old Stamkos is worth 100 million of he signs for something like 80 he would leave 20 million on the table that's a freaking lot and all he would receive as a thank you ... is another lockout and a team that can't wait to get rid of him when he's in his mid 30s.

I'm saying that 10 million is more than enough for a lifetime. What happens when his career is over? He's set. He left a few million on the table..so what? He's in no danger of starving..ever. After a certain point it comes down to greed, nothing more.

Why should'nt some players take discounts? If you want to be part of a cup winning franchise sometimes you have to with the salary cap. Is'nt that what most players want when they get to the NHL? To be part of a championship team? If Toews did take one to stay in Chicago, now he's got 3 cup rings instead of taking off for another team who offered him more, but where he probably would'nt have had close to the same success.

As for Stamkos, no player is worth $100 million. He might get paid that, but it's insane to get paid that much to play hockey, or any other sport.

27 old Stamkos is worth 100 million of he signs for something like 80 he would leave 20 million on the table that's a freaking lot and all he would receive as a thank you ... is another lockout and a team that can't wait to get rid of him when he's in his mid 30s..

You clearly didn't read what I wrote, if player x gets more money, they tend to spend to that lifestyle which is even worse then if you make a little less because when it's over you got all those costs you can't afford anymore. It happens all the time it just doesn't go public, you can read hundreds of stories on google of this in the last decade. I am not saying every player does it, but I don't want to see any athlete / celeb complaining about making millions it's really pathetic.

Cars and Yacht's depreciate, the maintenance costs will cost more then the actual car by the end of it and the maintenance costs are enough to drop your bank account quickly. The fenders on Bugatti's are valued over 60,000 alone. When you have to sell the car because you can't afford it then you just threw over a million dollars out the window, same goes for the price of a Yacht.

Toews isn't even worth the money he's making. Ask yourself this question, Bergeron at 6.8 million or Toews at 10.8 million? 29/30 GM's take Bergeron's contract since he's essentially the same player but better defensively with 4 million dollar savings.

As for Stamkos, no player is worth $100 million. He might get paid that, but it's insane to get paid that much to play hockey, or any other sport.

What determines a player's worth? If the money is there because customers are paying to see Stamkos play and buying his jerseys, where should the money go? Should he only take $80 million and the owners pocket another $20 million? Should Curtis Glencross get it?

No he did'nt say he's struggling, but why say those things? Pretty pointless. Does he expect sympathy because he left money on the table and now he regrets it because teams aren't throwing big contracts at him and he's still a UFA with training camps looming? He got paid $10 million dollars to play hockey for four seasons. He should just keep his mouth shut.

Because he was being interviewed?

If people are so bitter that these athletes are paid so much money for playing hockey, why even watch the sport? You're the ones ultimately paying their salaries.

Hockey is entertainment. And entertainment is big business. These guys come from an elite talent pool and are paid accordingly. Technically they're actually underpaid because their salaries are artificially restricted by the cap.

Because he was being interviewed?

If people are so bitter that these athletes are paid so much money for playing hockey, why even watch the sport? You're the ones ultimately paying their salaries.

Hockey is entertainment. And entertainment is big business. These guys come from an elite talent pool and are paid accordingly. Technically they're actually underpaid because their salaries are artificially restricted by the cap.

I am not bitter at all that these guys are making this kind of money. I am just not going to feel empathy for a player because his last contract was 10 million over 4 years and not 12.5 million over 4 years.

I am not bitter at all that these guys are making this kind of money. I am just not going to feel empathy for a player because his last contract was 10 million over 4 years and not 12.5 million over 4 years.

I don't think they're asking for your empathy, they're just being interviewed.

If I'm understanding the themes in this thread correctly, if you're wealthy you should shut up and enjoy it, and never ever talk about what you'd have done differently in life.

Does that mean that if you're poor you should constantly talk about your past regrets and failures and pine for a change in fortunes?

Or could we all just agree that regardless of the size of your bank account, you're entitled to talk about your life however the heck you want when someone asks you?

Edited by kipwinger

Who asked you to empathize with him? He didn't. Neither did anyone here.

You're entirely fabricating a point that Glencross was never making, just so you can disagree with it. He was talking about his experience with topics (contract negotations and home town discounts) that affect every single player and organization in the industry. The point was never, "how can I make regular joes empathize with me more". And it shouldn't have been, because your empathy for Curtis Glencross means to him about as much as his empathy should mean to you. Zilch.

You clearly didn't read what I wrote, if player x gets more money, they tend to spend to that lifestyle which is even worse then if you make a little less because when it's over you got all those costs you can't afford anymore. It happens all the time it just doesn't go public, you can read hundreds of stories on google of this in the last decade. I am not saying every player does it, but I don't want to see any athlete / celeb complaining about making millions it's really pathetic.

Cars and Yacht's depreciate, the maintenance costs will cost more then the actual car by the end of it and the maintenance costs are enough to drop your bank account quickly. The fenders on Bugatti's are valued over 60,000 alone. When you have to sell the car because you can't afford it then you just threw over a million dollars out the window, same goes for the price of a Yacht.

Toews isn't even worth the money he's making. Ask yourself this question, Bergeron at 6.8 million or Toews at 10.8 million? 29/30 GM's take Bergeron's contract since he's essentially the same player but better defensively with 4 million dollar savings.

No that's not the case a lot of them are saving it for later and we are not talking about 10 versus 12 million here...we are talking 10 versus 16 maybe even 20 million and the difference alone could have bought him all or some of the mentioned stuff.

These guys are the best 1 % hockey players of the world and they're (more than in every other sport), as humble as it gets. He isn't asking for sympathy he is saying how he feels and no matter if someone is a rich athlete or just your average Joe from the bridge everyone has feelings and the damn right to mention them.

If you can't stand athletes talking about that stuff don't read it, especially TSN has sadly added more than enough other useless articles...

Bergeron is awesome but he signed a 10 year contract something Toews and Stamkos couldn't / can't do so the cap comparison makes no sense. if Toews signed for 10 years it would be 8,5 vs 6,8 aav and at that point I'd take captain serious.

compared to other leagues hockey players are heavily underpaid ... and if people really believe Stamkos isn't worth 100 million over 8 years oh well...btw. If some people also can't deal with the fact that these guys are making a lot of money don't watch but then you have to Stop watching pro sports all together simple as that . Want to see people that are playing for the fun of it? Watch your local hobby teams or college hockey.

Edited by frankgrimes

That's because it's Bartolo Colon and not CC Sabathia. A man who weighs the same as CC Sabathia (285 lbs) despite being 8 inches shorter.

The funny thing is, I can't figure out if that picture is real or enhanced. He has many such pictures.