• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MrazekFanBoy

So this is why teams hate the wings

Rate this topic

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DaaHXuN8v7M

Really was craving some red wing hockey thank god for youtube. Wow this is absolutely insane were they like this for the whole Lidstrom era? Beatiful plays and good grit (seeing helm get hit into the boards twice by the garbage stars pissed me off) Also the Z and D chemistry that I only get to see on the PP was amazing as well, almost unreal. Nyquist to me is Hudler 2.0 maybe with a higher ceiling for the offensive side of the game. Have you guys really been watching this brilliance for 24 years straight im so jealous. I also watch a lot of the 90s highlights. I tried to find a thread to post this in but didn't have a lot of time so if someone can move it there i would reallh appreciate it, also really enjoyed Tats celly after his first goal and now i know why some people call Lidstrom Godstrom as well, I also watch a lot of videos about Gordie Howe and watched his special on nhl network lastnight and it made me cry what an amazing and HILARIOUS player he was. I also feel like such an ass after giving Z s*** about his playoff performance last year please understand I didn't get to witness all of his prime like most of you.

Edited by MrazekFanBoy

I may be in the minority, but I actually think the recent rebuilding years 2003-2006 and 2011-Present, are far more interesting than the contending years. There's more to think about, talk about, speculate about, and (quite frankly) ***** about. Watching your team win the Cup is awesome, but I don't want to see it every year. Or even be a real possibility every year. Sometimes you have to struggle a little bit in order to work through it and know what optimism feels like.

IMO being a fan of a super team is lazy. And boring. Which isn't to say that I want our team to be the Chicago Cubs of hockey. But I don't want us to be the Yankees either. If you choices each season are A) compete for the championship, or B) be disappointed, then you're missing out on a ton of awesome fan experiences.

Edited by kipwinger

Being a fan from 1984 - that was 13 seasons (and 1995 Final) of frustration, and near misses for me until Detroit won the Cup in '97.

I realize that Detroit hasn't been good literally forever. I'm suggesting that this upcoming season, for instance, will probably be more interesting for me than the 1999 or 2000 seasons. Even though these were heyday years of the Wings "dynasty".

I like the question marks surrounding an upcoming season. Going into it with Cup or bust on your mind is fine (especially if you haven't won in a long time), but it's a little less interesting when you've seen a ton of them.

I love the competition for spots, the youth movement, the goalie debate, the new coach, the emerging stars. All those story lines are more interesting to me than anything we were talking about heading into the 2010 season (for instance).

Edited by kipwinger

I've watched a lot of 91 and he reminds me of datysuk, I mean he was great at everything but I think Pav could be too if he didn't focus on defense so much, although the hands make up for that i enjoy watching both alot

Fedorov paved the way for Russian born players to become superstars, defense was a huge aspect of his game.

Fedorov paved the way for Russian born players to become superstars, defense was a huge aspect of his game.

To me Fedorov is a lot more similar to Ovechkin than Datsyuk (except physicality)

Datsyuk is the quiet, humble, strong work ethic, type.

Feds and Ovi are the loud, energetic, sure I can play D but I might rather hang out near center ice sometimes, types

I've watched a lot of 91 and he reminds me of datysuk, I mean he was great at everything but I think Pav could be too if he didn't focus on defense so much, although the hands make up for that i enjoy watching both alot

As a big fan since early-mid 80's... Feds>Dats. Although Pavel will get his share head to head.

To me Fedorov is a lot more similar to Ovechkin than Datsyuk (except physicality)

Feds and Ovi are the loud, energetic, sure I can play D but I might rather hang out near center ice sometimes, types

Feds did play D. Literally

Nah, Feds won 2 Selkes and was so good on the defensive side that Bowman put him on the Blue line.

I get the OV comparison in the sense that he had dynamic speed made for some great rushes, though.

I'm staying out of this discussion due to the fact that I get overly passionate about Sergei Fedorov at times. It's awkward for everyone.

To the larger topic, I will say there was nothing like failing miserably all those years, getting so close, and then finally winning. Those are my favorite hockey years, and I get tingly and nostalgic whenever I think about it. I forget that not every Wings fan has been around that long.

Ya, the cup win in '97 was the greatest feeling after waiting so many years, and after the Finals loss in '95. I remember watching the game with my dad who is a Wings fan also and saw them through some of their their lowest points, how happy he was. And thinking of my late grandfather, another life long Wings fan, how happy he would have been if he could have seen it after watching in futility since the last cup in '55. Then the repeat in '98 was just unreal. Great memories.

Ya, the cup win in '97 was the greatest feeling after waiting so many years, and after the Finals loss in '95. I remember watching the game with my dad who is a Wings fan also and saw them through some of their their lowest points, how happy he was. And thinking of my late grandfather, another life long Wings fan, how happy he would have been if he could have seen it after watching in futility since the last cup in '55. Then the repeat in '98 was just unreal. Great memories.

Never saw my Grandfather tear up. Till the 97 cup. He was so happy.

Guest Playmaker

I dunno, I think winning is like sex. Having it is a hell of a lot better than not having it. Don't get tired of it. Even boring wins beat the hell out of exciting losses every single time. What's boring about who's going to carry the Cup first, when's the parade and a summer full of where is the Cup today and with who?

Winning never gets old. We are all insanely spoiled to be fans of this franchise. Just a world class organization on and off the ice.

You definitely appreciate what the Wings have accomplished when you root for teams in other sports and they haven't won anything. To think the Wings have been good for basically my entire life is insane.

Being a fan from 1984 - that was 13 seasons (and 1995 Final) of frustration, and near misses for me until Detroit won the Cup in '97.

I became a fan in December '83 after seeing the Wings live for the first time. I was a kid and thought Yzerman had the coolest name and was just awesome on the ice and loved the uniforms. I instantly converted from Flyers fandom to my dad's chagrin.

for those of you that think Datsyuk in his prime was better in any way than Fedorov in his prime need to watch again. In the 90's (rules) Datsyuk would have never been given any room to do what he does with all the clutching and grabbing that was allowed and if Fedorov got to play in todays free wheeling game in his prime, he would be putting up Gretzky numbers. Either way though e are/were blessed to have had such great teams!

for those of you that think Datsyuk in his prime was better in any way than Fedorov in his prime need to watch again. In the 90's (rules) Datsyuk would have never been given any room to do what he does with all the clutching and grabbing that was allowed and if Fedorov got to play in todays free wheeling game in his prime, he would be putting up Gretzky numbers. Either way though e are/were blessed to have had such great teams!

Well said, though a prime Datsyuk on a line with a prime Fedorov would be absolutely breathtaking to watch.

I became a Wings fan in the late 80's - early 90's, the sole reason being Steve Yzerman. I was also a huge Fedorov fan, and I agree that he may have been a better player than Datsyuk, but to say that he was THAT much better is crazy to me. There style of play couldn't be further apart in my opinion, but their overall effectiveness (no matter what era you place them) is/was very similar. I would give Sergei in his prime the slight edge over Pav in his prime, but it's definitely not as far apart as you seem to think. A lot of people mistake Datsyuk for being a small, weak Russian player because of his size, but he's anything but. Pav has got to be one of the strongest players in the league to knock off the puck, and that isn't just because of his amazing stick, it's the way he uses his body to protect the puck. There's not a doubt in my mind that Pav would have been just as, if not more successful in the 90's era of hockey. In saying that, Fedorov is and always will be my favorite Russian player to ever play the game (Konstantinov and Datsyuk tying for second...). Maybe / hopefully Svechnikov will someday be in that same category...

I became a Wings fan in the late 80's - early 90's, the sole reason being Steve Yzerman. I was also a huge Fedorov fan, and I agree that he may have been a better player than Datsyuk, but to say that he was THAT much better is crazy to me. There style of play couldn't be further apart in my opinion, but their overall effectiveness (no matter what era you place them) is/was very similar. I would give Sergei in his prime the slight edge over Pav in his prime, but it's definitely not as far apart as you seem to think. A lot of people mistake Datsyuk for being a small, weak Russian player because of his size, but he's anything but. Pav has got to be one of the strongest players in the league to knock off the puck, and that isn't just because of his amazing stick, it's the way he uses his body to protect the puck. There's not a doubt in my mind that Pav would have been just as, if not more successful in the 90's era of hockey. In saying that, Fedorov is and always will be my favorite Russian player to ever play the game (Konstantinov and Datsyuk tying for second...). Maybe / hopefully Svechnikov will someday be in that same category...

honestly that would be crazy haha we already have another potential russian stud

Can't believe what some of you are saying. Being a Cup contender every year was awesome.

Just don't forget, we weren't exactly winning it every year. Teams like Colorado, New Jersey, Dallas and Philadelphia were perennial contenders as well. There was only one Cup to go around. It was very competitive.

Rebuilding mode is only fun for video games when you're doing GM mode.