• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MrazekFanBoy

So this is why teams hate the wings

Rate this topic

I realize that Detroit hasn't been good literally forever. I'm suggesting that this upcoming season, for instance, will probably be more interesting for me than the 1999 or 2000 seasons. Even though these were heyday years of the Wings "dynasty".

I like the question marks surrounding an upcoming season. Going into it with Cup or bust on your mind is fine (especially if you haven't won in a long time), but it's a little less interesting when you've seen a ton of them.

I love the competition for spots, the youth movement, the goalie debate, the new coach, the emerging stars. All those story lines are more interesting to me than anything we were talking about heading into the 2010 season (for instance).

Agree with these four. Watching Detroit hockey down the stretch last season was amazing. The victories are twice as sweet, and the losses twice as tough. Big fan of the youth movement/emerging stars, as well. In particular, I'm interested to see what becomes of Larkin, AA and Marchenko. Watching DeKeyser (not that he's a "star", but he's important to the team) step right in has been amazing, and I'm not sure I always fully appreciate how seamless his transition was. Also, it's nearly impossible to not get excited when Tatar scores.

I'm sliiightly on the fence about getting excited about Blashill. There are some changes I'd like to see. If they don't happen it's going to be a bit of a letdown (I'm sure I sound spoiled here, but I want to see more risks from the defense). Maybe I'm just tired of the squabbles, but I'm not as interested in the goalie debate. Whoever claims the net claims it.

When you have Holmstrom, Chelios, Datsyuk, Fedorov, Hull, Lidstrom, Larionov, Robitaille, Shanahan, Zetterberg, and Yzerman all on one team... teams start to hate you

Unless you get swept in the first round with that roster.

Then everyone laughs at you.

Edited by GMRwings1983

...dont you remember, it was all CuJo's fault! Duh!

Well he did get outplayed by the guy with the giant pads. The goals he gave up were untimely.

I always wondered how that team would fare in a deep playoff run, but we never got to see it. The strongest teams in the West that year fell apart in the playoffs. This was a trend that would follow for many years to come.

I'm a fan from way before Yzerman. Believe it or not I became a fan because my MOM was she just loved watching or listening to the Wings and Tigers. Anyone here remember the paid sports channel PASS? Bought it to watch the WINGS, $89.00 a year if you paid for the year in advance, I think it was $109.00 if you paid by the month. All Wings, Pistons, Tigers and Lions games were televised. Lotta bad years back then, DARKNESS WITH HARKNESS anyone?

Can't believe what some of you are saying. Being a Cup contender every year was awesome.

Just don't forget, we weren't exactly winning it every year. Teams like Colorado, New Jersey, Dallas and Philadelphia were perennial contenders as well. There was only one Cup to go around. It was very competitive.

Rebuilding mode is only fun for video games when you're doing GM mode.

Exactly that! I really don't know what's fun about maybe making the playoffs instead of being an annual cup contender and the destination once UFA hits. The Red Wings of old were great because they've had it all and they've played a lot more entertaining hockey than the current version.

I'm sure the teams who hate the Wings also hate the 20 $ million Mr. I has to write every year so some questionable franchises can still have a team.

Must agree here.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan of Feds - however it was known that he had his moments of sulking, and it affected his play, and eventually his time with the Red Wings organization.

Dats works hard each, and every night.

I guess.

I also feel like Feds was more naturally gifted overall. Like the preppy kid in grade school that had it all. I guess with that comes entitlement.

Are people forgetting that fedorov grew up in the red army system? From the time he was a child he trained under the harshest possible conditions. I mean, insanely harsh conditions. And then came to the U.S and played for...the most demanding coach in the NHL. Where he worked his way into being a premier two way forward, and at one point the very best player on earth.

He may have been arrogant, but that doesn't make him entitled. I'd say he earned every single thing he has, and doesn't have, in life.

yep, but PASS sports was mid 80's at the earliest and lasted until to late 90's. March 27th, 1997 game was actually a PASS sports broadcast. I was there, but rushed home to throw a tape in the machine to record the 12am replay. When you ( and I ) became fans, we got to watch only about half (if lucky) the games on TV 50. Ah, good ol' Ray Lane!

Edited by LeftWinger

Are people forgetting that fedorov grew up in the red army system? From the time he was a child he trained under the harshest possible conditions. I mean, insanely harsh conditions. And then came to the U.S and played for...the most demanding coach in the NHL. Where he worked his way into being a premier two way forward, and at one point the very best player on earth.

He may have been arrogant, but that doesn't make him entitled. I'd say he earned every single thing he has, and doesn't have, in life.

I personally didn't think he was that arrogant, but there were 1 or 2 times where he gave us drama over his contract. That's where the "entitelement" topic comes in.

Does that mean he should be looked down upon? No. It's a business at the end of the day.

yep, but PASS sports was mid 80's at the earliest and lasted until to late 90's. March 27th, 1997 game was actually a PASS sports broadcast. I was there, but rushed home to throw a tape in the machine to record the 12am replay. When you ( and I ) became fans, we got to watch only about half (if lucky) the games on TV 50. Ah, good ol' Ray Lane!

Remember, between periods they would always have a player come out sit on a stool and give a little interview.

NO COMMERCIALS so they had to fill the break with something. We moved out of state in '92 and I really missed seeing the games but finally, in '97 we got DirectTV and I got to watch them win the CUP against the Flyers. In '97 to get DirectTV you had to buy all the equipment receiver, dish and cable and installed it yourself. Came with a detailed book of instructions and a compass to set the dish. I think we paid $250.00 for the receiver and I know the installation kit $125.00.

I personally didn't think he was that arrogant, but there were 1 or 2 times where he gave us drama over his contract. That's where the "entitelement" topic comes in.

Does that mean he should be looked down upon? No. It's a business at the end of the day.

I never understood that whole contract demands = entitlement argument. He didn't hold out for more money. He wanted to leave because he was tired of playing second fiddle on Yzerman's team. He wanted to be a leader, he wanted to be "the guy" on a team. And he was quite clearly capable of being that. He was, after all, the best player on earth.

Being the best, wanting to be recognized as the best, and wanting to prove it by carrying your own team, doesn't scream "entitlement" to me. It seems like the exact opposite. IMO he would have been entitled if he chased big money while riding Yzerman, and Shanahan, and Hull, and Lidstrom's coattails.

When he first came into the league, Crosby was entitled. He hadn't earned anything, and wanted the benefit of the doubt all the time. In his mind, he was a star when he was still a rookie. Fedorov was never, ever, that way. Like I said before, he worked his way to the top and left because he could never be recognized for it on Yzerman's team.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Playmaker

If the best player on Earth couldn't take the reigns of this team, that's on him, not anyone else. It wasn't like Yzerman had a problem with it. He wanted to win and he knew Fedorov at the top of his game made his dream of a Cup possible. Sergei didn't want to be a leader, he wanted to be a celebrity. Did Konstantinov want to leave because of Lidstrom? For all his talents, Sergei just didn't get it. He never quite got how to act or what to say or what it was that Yzerman had that he didn't. He never did "lead a team" after leaving Detroit.

Crosby didn't act entitled. He acted 18, just like Yzerman did when he came into the league.

If the best player on Earth couldn't take the reigns of this team, that's on him, not anyone else. It wasn't like Yzerman had a problem with it. He wanted to win and he knew Fedorov at the top of his game made his dream of a Cup possible. Sergei didn't want to be a leader, he wanted to be a celebrity. Did Konstantinov want to leave because of Lidstrom? For all his talents, Sergei just didn't get it. He never quite got how to act or what to say or what it was that Yzerman had that he didn't. He never did "lead a team" after leaving Detroit.

Crosby didn't act entitled. He acted 18, just like Yzerman did when he came into the league.

I almost kind of agreed with you, then you ruined it.

And Sergei did everything asked of him here, including playing defense.

Just because he had contract discrepancies, doesnt mean he was less of a team player, and his money/contract issues arent our business or concern.

Yeah I wish he would've just stayed here here too, but whatevs.

He was a huge part of us winning Stanley cups, that's enough.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

I never understood that whole contract demands = entitlement argument. He didn't hold out for more money. He wanted to leave because he was tired of playing second fiddle on Yzerman's team. He wanted to be a leader, he wanted to be "the guy" on a team. And he was quite clearly capable of being that. He was, after all, the best player on earth.

Being the best, wanting to be recognized as the best, and wanting to prove it by carrying your own team, doesn't scream "entitlement" to me. It seems like the exact opposite. IMO he would have been entitled if he chased big money while riding Yzerman, and Shanahan, and Hull, and Lidstrom's coattails.

When he first came into the league, Crosby was entitled. He hadn't earned anything, and wanted the benefit of the doubt all the time. In his mind, he was a star when he was still a rookie. Fedorov was never, ever, that way. Like I said before, he worked his way to the top and left because he could never be recognized for it on Yzerman's team.

Just to play devils advocate though, wouldn't that make him selfish if not entitled then? There's times where I feel like Zetterberg plays in Datsyuk's shadows but you don't see him whining about it.

At the end of the day people loved Yzerman, but they sure loved Fedorov too. Scotty loved the guy.

It's hard when you're the best player in your prime but you have a captain on the team that's a world class player who is basically leaving his prime. Yzerman was that popular Canadian y'know?

Edited by kickazz

Just to play devils advocate though, wouldn't that make him selfish if not entitled then? There's times where I feel like Zetterberg plays in Datsyuk's shadows but you don't see him whining about it.

At the end of the day people loved Yzerman, but they sure loved Fedorov too. Scotty loved the guy.

It's hard when you're the best player in your prime but you have a captain on the team that's a world class player who is basically leaving his prime. Yzerman was that popular Canadian y'know?

I completely agree. It was Stevie's team, and it should have been. I'm not suggesting that Fedorov should have been made captain or anything. I'm just saying that when you're already "the guy" on a team, wanting to be recognized as such may make you narcissistic or egotistical, but it sure doesn't make you entitled. Fedorov earned everything he ever got in hockey by doing what was asked of him (which was significantly more than what was asked of just about any other Wings...except maybe Lidstrom), and doing it better than anyone else. Entitled is when you want the payoff without having to do the work. Fedorov did work son!

Edited by kipwinger

Agree with these four. Watching Detroit hockey down the stretch last season was amazing. The victories are twice as sweet, and the losses twice as tough. Big fan of the youth movement/emerging stars, as well. In particular, I'm interested to see what becomes of Larkin, AA and Marchenko. Watching DeKeyser (not that he's a "star", but he's important to the team) step right in has been amazing, and I'm not sure I always fully appreciate how seamless his transition was. Also, it's nearly impossible to not get excited when Tatar scores.

I'm sliiightly on the fence about getting excited about Blashill. There are some changes I'd like to see. If they don't happen it's going to be a bit of a letdown (I'm sure I sound spoiled here, but I want to see more risks from the defense). Maybe I'm just tired of the squabbles, but I'm not as interested in the goalie debate. Whoever claims the net claims it.

Apparently you're not the only one. Per Henrik Zetterberg today:

"There's a lot of guys in here who've been through the same stuff for many years," Zetterberg said Thursday. "I think now with the additions of Green and Richards, and the new coach, it's given us a little fresh start. Obviously, it's going to be a different voice behind the bench and sometimes you need that."

Zetterberg clearly felt it was time for a change after 10 years under the hard-driving, abrasive Mike Babcock.

"I want to thank Mike for the time he had here, but I think both him and us probably decided it was time," Zetterberg said.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2015/9/3/9258235/henrik-zetterberg-says-it-was-time-for-mike-babcock-to-go

Apparently you're not the only one. Per Henrik Zetterberg today:

"There's a lot of guys in here who've been through the same stuff for many years," Zetterberg said Thursday. "I think now with the additions of Green and Richards, and the new coach, it's given us a little fresh start. Obviously, it's going to be a different voice behind the bench and sometimes you need that."

Zetterberg clearly felt it was time for a change after 10 years under the hard-driving, abrasive Mike Babcock.

"I want to thank Mike for the time he had here, but I think both him and us probably decided it was time," Zetterberg said.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2015/9/3/9258235/henrik-zetterberg-says-it-was-time-for-mike-babcock-to-go

Oh boy that could not have been anymore blatant. Ouch.

To think, Babcock called Zetterberg "the coaches son" type of player a few years ago.

I guess I'll take Z's word for it. I know a lot of posters here made this prediction early, about having a new voice behind the bench. Good assessment. Let's see how it plays out.

Oh boy that could not have been anymore blatant. Ouch.

To think, Babcock called Zetterberg "the coaches son" type of player a few years ago.

I guess I'll take Z's word for it. I know a lot of posters here made this prediction early, about having a new voice behind the bench. Good assessment. Let's see how it plays out.

I'm sure it's taken out of context but if not this is a very unpleasant way to say thank you to the best coach in all of hockey. And while we are at it it would have also been time for Z to play like a captain in the playoffs so that's that.

I'm sure it's taken out of context but if not this is a very unpleasant way to say thank you to the best coach in all of hockey. And while we are at it it would have also been time for Z to play like a captain in the playoffs so that's that.

No it's a straight up message check out the interview video.

Maybe Z sucked in the playoffs because the "best coach in all of hockey" was too stale to play for. ;)

Cool fact - Steve Yzerman had only 4 assists in 8 playoff games and a -4 rating in the 2000 playoffs. That was his version of "not playing like a captain in the playoffs". Funny thing is he also lead the regular season in points just like Z did.

It happens. Even to the guys in your avatar.

Edited by kickazz