• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Cleary re-signs... 1 year deal

Rate this topic

Cleary would provide some great leadership for the kids down in Grand Rapids. I really do hope he finds himself down there playing 3rd line minutes, and educating the kids obviously.

I really am not concerned with this contract. The entire salary can be buried in the AHL.

Nobody wants this, but I've thought about it in light of that Glencross article/discussion. If this was part of a verbal agreement then I'm glad we kept it. It keeps the reputation of the organization high and shows our young players that we're loyal and we'll pay them back if they take some discounts to help out the team. Also, the reputation always matters to UFAs. We've had a couple of disgruntled employees jump come to us (Alfie) or choose us (Modano). And I think both Green and Tootoo came in part due to Helm's positive reports.

And Cleary will probably just end up playing in GR which could be good to ensure some quality guidance since Blashill's gone (don't know the new coach).

I'm glad were loyal, but this whole handshake agreement thing is getting very close to a CBA violation.

It makes me a bit nervous.

Cleary would provide some great leadership for the kids down in Grand Rapids. I really do hope he finds himself down there playing 3rd line minutes, and educating the kids obviously.

I really am not concerned with this contract. The entire salary can be buried in the AHL.

Leadership is great and all, but they've already got Hoggan, Grant and Paetsch. Miele, Lashoff and Tangradi are all experienced players in their mid-to-late 20's.

I'm not sure what Cleary does in GR, outside of making things more difficult for guys like Tvrdon and Nastasiuk.

Loyalty...this all but guarantees that KFQ will be back...oh happy days! Doesn't Holland realize that #redwingfansmatter?

How does this signing in any way effect you? I dont see how Holland signing him, means he is showing any type of disrespect towards the fans.

Its basically a minor league contract, we are not going to lose anybody because of it, the money will not count towards the cap.

I'm just curious what Illitch thinks of ask this. A lot of his money is being given to a guy for essentially nothing in on over production

Illitch seems to be a very loyal guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he spearheaded this. Wings have always been loyal to their players, and as a result their players have always been loyal back (ie. Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg) all signing deals below market value. To contrast that, next time Calgary asks a guy to sign for a discount, i'm sure after reading the Glenncross article, that player may think twice.

As expected and really I don't see a problem with this. At best he will be an emergency call up from the Grand Rapids and while being there he can show some younger guys (Mantha, Larkin) the way and since the 950k aren't counting against the cap it doesn't really matter. Personally I'm in favor of everything that helps prepare Larkin, Mantha better for the big club in a few years if that includes signing a veteran with a great work ethic so be it.

As expected and really I don't see a problem with this. At best he will be an emergency call up from the Grand Rapids and while being there he can show some younger guys (Mantha, Larkin) the way and since the 950k aren't counting against the cap it doesn't really matter. Personally I'm in favor of everything that helps prepare Larkin, Mantha better for the big club in a few years if that includes signing a veteran with a great work ethic so be it.

I can't believe I am agreeing with frankgrimes, but I am. I think this is the 4th time in LGW forum history for this, so it isn't the first time.

The organization has shown loyalty to Cleary. The cap hit isn't going to hurt the team. They are in essence paying him out of their own pockets to be an emergency call up. Who cares if they let him into training camp and give him preseason minutes. Who cares if he ends up in the AHL. In fact, no one should care that they signed him to this deal. If anything, other players will see this as loyalty that is being rewarded after all these years and want to come play here.

Hell, if I am at the end of my career, and my workplace decides to keep me around out of loyalty even when my most productive years are behind me, I would be very grateful.

I respect the loyalty thing and what makes this organization classy but Clearly needs to sit back and think real hard on the entire picture and loyalty goes both ways and he needs to know when to slow down and step to the side which is best for him in some manners and the team

If he is ok with playing in Grand Rapids collecting money, help develop the kids, is not taking a spot away from a kid who has an actual chance and ice time, and won't ever stop foot back at the Joe as an NHL calibre player, then I am ok with this.

Yes, he may of left money on the table somewhere else and the Wings are trying to do right by him within reason, which I speculate that is why maybe it has taken this long for him to get a contract as DRW needed to see how everything fell more or less.

Clears is looking out for himself financially here is the way it comes across to me and yes he has a right to do that, but at what expense for the team

Eh

900K is nothing compared to some of the sunken contracts with the Tigers.

Yes but how many more goes do baseball players play instead of the Wings? More games and etc to recoup money and I am treading on this lightly as this can be off topic very easily and I am not going to be the one to derail this thread

Keep your stick on the ice I say and your hands where I can see them

Hoping Clears will be behind the bench in a development fashion or coaching in some aspect in the future if it works out to be like that

Guest Playmaker

I guess that's how jaded we've all become when we shrug at almost a million dollar a year contract as a drop in the bucket for a guy who clearly cannot play as no big deal. When those in the Franzen thread who say a player will know when to call it quits, see Dan Cleary as Exhibit A.

I have zero problem with loyalty. They could easily be loyal to him as they have many others and give him some cushy front office, scouting or coaching job. While it may not be a cap issue now with Cleary what happens a few years down the road with another player who expects the same loyalty? Are they letting Franzen try to play because of that? Treating people with respect is one thing, but at the end of the day, it's a business. Is Ilitch this loyal to the kids schlepping his crappy pizza for minimum wage?