• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Wings Release Training Camp Roster

Rate this topic

I just don't see the room for Smith on the PP. At the start of the year, sure. Once Datsyuk returns, I just can't see it.

PP Unit #1: Abdelkader, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen and Kronwall
PP Unit #2: Sheahan, Nyquist, Richards, Tatar and Green

Maybe you swap Mule for Tatar or Nyquist, but either way... where's the room? Sheahan serves as the NFP on that second unit - I can't see them without someone screening the goalie on the PP. Maybe if Richards falters? Then you have Pulkkinen and Jurco trying to get some PP time as well.

I just don't see the room for Smith on the PP. At the start of the year, sure. Once Datsyuk returns, I just can't see it.

PP Unit #1: Abdelkader, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen and Kronwall

PP Unit #2: Sheahan, Nyquist, Richards, Tatar and Green

Maybe you swap Mule for Tatar or Nyquist, but either way... where's the room? Sheahan serves as the NFP on that second unit - I can't see them without someone screening the goalie on the PP. Maybe if Richards falters? Then you have Pulkkinen and Jurco trying to get some PP time as well.

Pretty much. Even if Smith was a D-man capable of quarterbacking an offensive play (he's not) there's absolutely no room on the PP for him at this point.

Your hatred for Smith is mind blowing... He absolutely can quarterback an offensive play (power-play) and he has his entire career. Did that stop once he hit the NHL because he's not an NHL caliber defenseman? No, although I'm sure you would say that he's not... I think it's more to do with Babcock hammering defense into his head, and not allowing him to play to his strengths... skating the puck, setting up plays in the offensive zone, aka quarterbacking a play... I feel like your disdain for Smith is almost to LeftWinger degree to Franzen...

Smith will thrive under Blashill, and I expect somewhere around 25-30 points, providing he gets a look on the power-play.

Provided he gets a shot on the PP, whose spot does he take? He's surely not going to supplant Green or Kronwall.

Kronwall was 8th in the league in powerplay points amongst defensemen last year. Green was 16th. I just don't see it. Unless you think he should replace a forward.

I'd imagine that either Smith, or Kindl, will be the first replacement should Kronwall or Green get injured. But I'd be really surprised if either of them saw much time on the PP with those two guys healthy. And as much as I hope Blashill can rejuvenate both of their careers, I've got to conclude that this decision is a no brainer. We've finally got two legit, proven, pp quarterbacks. Why over think it?

Edited by kipwinger

I've stated before that I think the Wings should implement two separate power-play unit setups. The 1-3-1 that we used all of last season for the first unit and the standard 3-2 for the second unit.

Abdelkader

Pulkkinen (Franzen if he's healthy) - Datsyuk - Zetterberg

Kronwall

Nyquist - Richards - Tatar

Green - Smith

I've stated before that I think the Wings should implement two separate power-play unit setups. The 1-3-1 that we used all of last season for the first unit and the standard 3-2 for the second unit.

Abdelkader

Kronwall

Green - Smith

Ok, noted. I've heard you argue for that in the past. But since that's not likely to happen, what do you really think they should do?

That is what I really think they should do. Blash did say, he was willing to give Smith a shot on the second unit, so that's why I believe there's a chance they could go with two defenders on one of the units... But if they're set on only using one defender on each unit again this season, obviously Kronwall and Green are ahead of Smith...

You also have to remember that Jim Hiller (power-play coach last season) is gone to Toronto with Babcock. Pat Ferschweiler is the new guy (assistant under Blashill last season in GR). He could possibly have some new ideas and our power-play units could be tweaked a little... If I'm not mistaken, they did use two different set-ups on each unit, so I believe it is a real possibility.

Edited by krsmith17

I'm sure he'll get a look in the preseason. They usually use two different "teams" in preseason games, so I'd imagine that Kronwall-Ericsson will be the top pair on one squad and Green-Dekeyser will top the other. Which means the second PP QB spot will be open for each team. Which is where I imagine Smith and Kindl will get their looks.

If either of them flat outplay Green or Kronwall, then sure, give them a spot. Doesn't hurt. But I'd be surprised if they did.

So would I. There's little to no chance that Smith outplays either Kronwall or Green on the power-play. And even if he did in pre-season, he still wouldn't play on either unit ahead of either of those guys, unless they go with two different set-ups...

Your hatred for Smith is mind blowing... He absolutely can quarterback an offensive play (power-play) and he has his entire career. Did that stop once he hit the NHL because he's not an NHL caliber defenseman? No, although I'm sure you would say that he's not... I think it's more to do with Babcock hammering defense into his head, and not allowing him to play to his strengths... skating the puck, setting up plays in the offensive zone, aka quarterbacking a play... I feel like your disdain for Smith is almost to LeftWinger degree to Franzen...

Smith will thrive under Blashill, and I expect somewhere around 25-30 points, providing he gets a look on the power-play.

Hardly, I have no hatred for Smith. It's your insistence that he's this PP, point producing, D-man that leads you to get upset when I point out that he's clearly not. He never has been in the NHL. 25-30 points also isn't anything special. In fact it's pretty average for the skill set you claim Smith possesses. We'll see if he even hits those numbers...

He's simply not the offensive weapon he was projected to be. There's nothing wrong with that, he's still an ok defender. But let's quit painting him up to be something he's not.

Abdelkader

Kronwall

Green - Smith

Regarless of whether they run a 1-3-1 or 3-2 formation, that 2nd unit needs a body in front. And unless it's Smith (which would defeat the 3-2 set-up) I can't see it being anyone else.

Sheahan is great down low and around the crease. He should be on the 2nd unit.

And Green should be on the first unit because he's a better PP guy than Kronwall. In fact, I would argue that with the hard minutes Kronwall plays, maybe he shouldn't be on the PP at all. Maybe it should be Kindl.

#1 Unit:

Abdlekader + Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Tatar + Green

#2 Unit

Sheahan + Nyquist - Richards - Pulkkinen + Kronwall/Kindl