Why do people think Tatar is better than nyquist lol

Nyquist-35+

Tatar-30+

Datsyuk-25

Zetterberg-25-35

Abby-20

Sheahan-20

Green-20

Not to derail the thread and I'm not saying TT is better, but why the lol? TT with more goals would be slightly more likely based on last year's points:

Tatar: 29g+27a=56 vs. Nyquist: 27+27=54

1 season doesn't mean anything, Tats got to play with PPG Pav all season and was basically our only other serious threat on the PP it was Tats breakout year and Gooses sophmore slump

Well they've both really only played one complete year so yes it does mean something.

If you want to play the linemates game. Goose was playing with Z 2 years ago while Tats was with lower lines (Helm and Sheahan). Also, Tats played with Pav, but it's not like Gus was with a pilon - he was usually with Z (who had more total points).

Not sure what you mean with the PP argument. The PP was ranked 2nd in the league but we only had 2 serious threats? Gus had a lot of PP time and was 3rd in the league for PP goals. Was that supposed to be an argument explaining Gus's lower # of goals?

Last year may have been TTs breakout year, but he's progressed pretty steadily. He had 17 more points than the year before, but he also played 9 more games and played with better lines. Both players have played nearly the same amount of games - Calling Nyquist's season a sophmore slump is pretty arbitrary - maybe 13-14 were inflated numbers - we don't know until he's played a couple more years.

Anyway, I don't think we know how they'll end up, but It's certainly not laughable to think that Tatar will scored more goals. I mean, he just scored more goals, but your comment seemed like you were considering it an idiotic thought.

Lastly, nhl.com list Nyquist as 1 inch taller and 2 pounds lighter. I don't think that should be considered a difference between them.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Datsyuk , tatar, nyquist are guaranteed to break 20 imo

If Zetterberg plays center all year then i predict he scores 14 goals.

If he plays Wing he probably can hit 25 with ease.

Green just below 20. Abby possible 20 but not probable.

Franzen possible 20 with minimum injury

Edited by kickazz

1 season doesn't mean anything, Tats got to play with PPG Pav all season and was basically our only other serious threat on the PP it was Tats breakout year and Gooses sophmore slump

Not that different and stating Tatar got to play with Datsyuk doesn't mean anything. They are both really good players.

Nyquist got to play with Abby, Z 24% of the time while Tatar played with Helm and Datsyuk 28% of the time. Looking at the list below Nyquist got to play with the better players. Nyquist also played more PP minutes (3.00) then Tatar (2.29) last year.

Nyquist:

24.2% EV ABDELKADER,JUSTIN - NYQUIST,GUSTAV - ZETTERBERG,HENRIK

10.33% EV NYQUIST,GUSTAV - SHEAHAN,RILEY - TATAR,TOMAS

10.27% EV FRANZEN,JOHAN - NYQUIST,GUSTAV - ZETTERBERG,HENRIK

15.13% PP ABDELKADER, JUSTIN - DATSYUK,PAVEL - NYQUIST,GUSTAV - ZETTERBERG,HENRIK

13.9% PP ABDELKADER,JUSTIN - FRANZEN,JOHAN - NYQUIST,GUSTAV - ZETTERBERG,HENRIK

Tatar:

28.19% EV DATSYUK,PAVEL - HELM,DARREN - TATAR,TOMAS

7.27% EV JURCO,TOMAS - SHEAHAN,RILEY - TATAR,TOMAS

14.29% PP DATSYUK,PAVEL - SHEAHAN,RILEY - TATAR,TOMAS - WEISS,STEPHEN

8.32% PP ABDELKADER,JUSTIN - DATSYUK,PAVEL - NYQUIST,GUSTAV - TATAR,TOMAS

Tatar also averaged 1.31 GF/60 (29th in the NHL last year) while Nyquist averaged 1.19 GF/60 (40th in the NHL last year). Nyquist had 14 PP goals, Tatar with 9 PP goals.

Edited by darkmanx

Nyquist and Tatar for sure. I think both will come in at or slightly above 30 goals.

Pav will get there if he plays enough games; same with Z being on the wing now. I don't feel confident enough in Franzen staying healthy or he's easily on the list.

My dark horse pick is Jurco. I think his usage under Blash will allow him to blossom this season.

I was saying he was the only other threat on the PP besides Nyquist and they lie about Tatars height, I'd say Nyquist is 5'11 and tats is 5'8 5'9 maybe Mick talks about it all the time

This was more in line with your reply "Why do people think Tatar is better then Nyquist lol" post. To me Tatar was the better player last year, Nyquist the year before was better. My numbers above didn't even include possession numbers which Datsyuk and Tatar dominated and finish 1 and 2 on the team. Still think Nyquist will be the better player.

Conclusion: They are way too close to call right now.

Edited by darkmanx

Not that different and stating Tatar got to play with Datsyuk doesn't mean anything. They are both really good players.

Nyquist got to play with Abby, Z 24% of the time while Tatar played with Helm and Datsyuk 28% of the time. Looking at the list below Nyquist got to play with the better players. Nyquist also played more PP minutes (3.00) then Tatar (2.29) last year.

Nyquist:

24.2% EV ABDELKADER,JUSTIN - NYQUIST,GUSTAV - ZETTERBERG,HENRIK

10.27% EV FRANZEN,JOHAN - NYQUIST,GUSTAV - ZETTERBERG,HENRIK

15.13% PP ABDELKADER, JUSTIN - DATSYUK,PAVEL - NYQUIST,GUSTAV - ZETTERBERG,HENRIK

13.9% PP ABDELKADER,JUSTIN - FRANZEN,JOHAN - NYQUIST,GUSTAV - ZETTERBERG,HENRIK

Tatar:

28.19% EV DATSYUK,PAVEL - HELM,DARREN - TATAR,TOMAS

7.27% EV JURCO,TOMAS - SHEAHAN,RILEY - TATAR,TOMAS

14.29% PP DATSYUK,PAVEL - SHEAHAN,RILEY - TATAR,TOMAS - WEISS,STEPHEN

8.32% PP ABDELKADER,JUSTIN - DATSYUK,PAVEL - NYQUIST,GUSTAV - TATAR,TOMAS

Tatar also averaged 1.31 GF/60 (29th in the NHL last year) while Nyquist averaged 1.19 GF/60 (40th in the NHL last year). Nyquist had 14 PP goals, Tatar with 9 PP goals.

So to me it looks like neither can be judged to be better than the other. One has favorable ice time with the best player while the other did better on PP. And the stats are too close to call either way.

What I conclude from this is. Anyone who thinks Tatar is better or that Nyquist is better. Shut yer trap and let them play more than a full 2 or 3 seasons?

Im glad you pulled these stats tho because too many claims and no backups on these forums. I'd like to take a look again end of this season.

Edited by kickazz

One thing is obvious from this thread, the new expected go to guys seem to be Nyquist and Tatar. Both are a year older but even if I'm predicting 25+ goals for each of them I really hope the added pressure and responsibility won't be too much for them to handle. I mean if both score around 25 I'd still be happy, but with Pasha and Z aging they are the most likely to pick up their decreased point production while Mantha and Larkin are improving with the Rapids.

Tatar (32), Nyquist (28), Datsyuk (24), Zetterberg (22 - hasn't done it in a few season, but I think he's due) & Franzen (20 - based on his health, obviously).

I'm kind of torn on Abdelkader, but I think he'll be one or two shy of 20 goals.