• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2015-16 Prospect Watch

Rate this topic

Title is self explanatory, but I figured this would be a good spot to keep tabs on all of our prospects either playing Junior, College or Europe. There's always a thread dedicated to Griffins prospects, but here we can keep tabs on the likes of Evgeny Svechnikov (Cape Breton Screaming Eagles - QMJHL), Adam Marsh (Saint John Sea Dogs - QMJHL), Vili Saarijarvi (Flint Firebirds - OHL), Dominic Turgeon (Portland Winterhawks - WHL) and Axel Holmstrom (Skelleftea AIK - SHL), among others...

Saarijarvi played his first game with the Firebirds tonight and he got one assist.

Holmstrom has played two games so far and also has one assist.

The player I'm most excited for is obviously Svechnikov, and I'll definitely be watching quite a few Screaming Eagles games this season.

Anyway, anyone with any updates, stats, highlights, insight, please post it here and I'll be doing the same.

He was playing center which is good news, the bad news is he wasn't very strong on the draws. He wasn't terrible, he won a few key faceoffs in the defensive zone and on the power-play in the offensive zone but if I were to guess, I would say he was well below 50%. Whether that's the norm for him or not, I'm not sure. He did only convert toward the end of last season if I'm not mistaken so I'm sure he'll improve a fair amount as long as he sticks at center, which I hope he does. Other than that though, he was dominant all over the ice. I'm very excited for this kid.

Svech's first goal was a pass he took off the skate and just directed it in the net. The play was under review but was determined to be a good goal. The second one he took a pass in the neutral zone, stepped over the blue line and wired a wrist shot past the goaltender. Rocket of a shot.

Saarijarvi had two assists in a 3-2 win.

I was at that game, so far he looks pretty decent. Good skater, definitely not afraid to take shots (only hesitated once in Overtime), broke up a few of Saginaw's offensive chances, played the point on the PP, and went 2nd in the shootout. Obviously one game isn't enough to figure out where he'll be going in the future, but he's definitely noticeable when he's on the ice, in a good way.

Saarijarvi continues to light up the OHL. Scored his first goal last night and followed it up with another goal and an assist. 14 points in 9 games is good for 4th overall in league scoring and 1st among defenseman. Let's hope he keeps this up.

Svech hit the 50 point mark at the weekend with 2+1. I'm hoping the Wings are watching 2 of his underrated team mates. Solid rh shooting D Loik Levielle and his fellow countryman Maxim Lazarev. Both could by worth handing contracts to , Maxim looks a legit scoring winger albeit no the biggest, but look at Panarin! Loik just seems built like a tank at 6'0 223lb, but looks like he can contribute in all aspects of a modern blueliner.

Lazarev has been passed over in two drafts now, mainly due to size (5'10", 160lbs.), and I don't think we need another undersized skilled winger. If he could be had in the 6th or 7th round, I'd take a gamble on him, otherwise, I'd pass...

Personally I'd rather stay away from players out of the Q in general, unless a guy comes along that you just can't pass up. The QMJHL is by far the worst stepping stone in player development in my opinion, the OHL/WHL being extensively better. I also really like the development of the NCAA.

I'd definitely start pulling from the Ncaa more.

The problem is most of the kids that choose the NCAA are generally less developed/nhl ready than those who go the chl route, so choosing them high in the 1st is simply more of a risk.

And I'd try to sign Lazarev, because he's not getting drafted.

So if he doesn't pan out who cares he doesn't cost us anyhing, I just hope we somehow get svechs bro.