• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Chicago re-signs Seabrook; 8 years, $6.875 AAV

Rate this topic

This is a great deal for one of the top defenders in the game:

Seabrook has to be one of the most underrated defenders in the game, he may not be flashy but he does everything so damn well and allows Keith to take some risks. So all in all a pretty good deal for the Hawks, he would have easily gotten something like 8x8 on the open market.

I would say it's something like Weber, Suter, Doughty, Keith, Seabrook, Pietrangelo, Hedman

Edited by frankgrimes

Seabrook has to be one of the most underrated defenders in the game, he may not be flashy but he does everything so damn well and allows Keith to take some risks. So all in all a pretty good deal for the Hawks, he would have easily gotten something like 8x8 on the open market.

I would say it's something like Weber, Suter, Doughty, Keith, Seabrook, Pietrangelo, Hedman

I think you have to include Subban and Karlsson on that list. Probably Ekman-Larsson and Letang above Seabrook too.

That deal is probably a good one for both sides.

I don't think you could have said he would have easily gotten anything until 2015/16 played out. Cody Franson is the perfect example of this, before he was traded to Nashville people that he was guaranteed a big pay day, but due to a slip in play (and possibly greed) he was paid a lot less then people thought. Plus you never know when an injury is around the corner. Not that Frason is at Seabrook's level, but I think my point is made.

Smart signing on Seabrook's side, this pretty much takes care of him the rest of the career. Smart move on the Blackhawks end in the short term, possibly crippling move in the long term. The Blackhawks have Philadelphia Phillie's written all over them which doesn't bother me one bit.

I will say though, if Seabrook can pull a Lidstrom and keep his level of play where it is up to his late 30's....great signing on Chicago's end! I wonder if this is a sign that they may consider getting rid of Kane?

In what league is he a top 5 d-man? Not in the NHL. His teammate however is.

Wow. This thread is nuts and is exhibit A in the case for him being the most underrated player in the NHL. People talking about Letang, OEL, Pietrangelo in the same category? Lolwut?!?! Watch games, not pts totals.

Seabrook was the main reason they just won the Cup. Keith got all the glory but the Hawks without Seabrook go down in flames, probably swept.

Edited by Dr Dubya

Wow. This thread is nuts and is exhibit A in the case for him being the most underrated player in the NHL. People talking about Letang, OEL, Pietrangelo in the same category? Lolwut?!?! Watch games, not pts totals.

Seabrook was the main reason they just won the Cup. Keith got all the glory but the Hawks without Seabrook go down in flames, probably swept.

Your obviously trolling. Seabrook is cannot touch top 5 in the NHL.

Thee problem with this deal is the amount of money that they have locked up in their core. Six players make up half of the salary cap, plus hes already 30, which isnt that big of a deal in itself but hes played a lot of hockey, and played a lot of minutes, enough to make me question how much tread he has left. That and this deal will last until he's 39.

I thought if he got that much money, the term would be shorter.

Thee problem with this deal is the amount of money that they have locked up in their core. Six players make up half of the salary cap, plus hes already 30, which isnt that big of a deal in itself but hes played a lot of hockey, and played a lot of minutes, enough to make me question how much tread he has left. That and this deal will last until he's 39.

Lids played a lot of hockey, minutes, and games. Just remember that

Hawks have a good back end pairing and their team is pretty much built like the Wings were years back.

Edited by Rivalred

I'm people. Oh... watch games...I knew I've doing this thing wrong.

8 years for a guy who'll be 32 by the first year of this extension... sure. If it was any other team, the media would be saying how ridiculous this move is, because it's Chicago it's brilliant. Have fun with AHLers in your bottom 6 and on your 3rd pair every year boys.

Chicago is setting themselves up to win at least one more cup in the next 5 years. After that, they will likely be back into rebuild mode. They don't have much in their farm system. This deal is aimed at trying to win now, at the expense of the future. This is the best Chicago has ever been. They've won 3 cups in 6 years. Prior to that, they had won 3 cups in their entire history. They aren't built to last like the Red Wings aim to be. The NHL is set up for teams to have a few years of contention and then fall off, rebuild and contend again.

Hawks have a good back end pairing and their team is pretty much built like the Wings were years back.

Yeah, but lidstrom was on a completely different level. Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Chicago is setting themselves up to win at least one more cup in the next 5 years. After that, they will likely be back into rebuild mode. They don't have much in their farm system. This deal is aimed at trying to win now, at the expense of the future. This is the best Chicago has ever been. They've won 3 cups in 6 years. Prior to that, they had won 3 cups in their entire history. They aren't built to last like the Red Wings aim to be. The NHL is set up for teams to have a few years of contention and then fall off, rebuild and contend again.

I agree to an extent except that if we start winning, we'd have to pay up for Tats, Nyquist, DK, Mrazek, Larkin....we'd probably end up looking like them with a top heavy payroll. It's the consequence of success. The way around it seems to me that you have to keep drafting really well to have quality players to fill out the roster. I don't know much about Hawks up and coming players.

Your comparing Seabrook to a guy that was arguably the 2nd or 3rd best defensemen to ever play the game.

I agree to an extent except that if we start winning, we'd have to pay up for Tats, Nyquist, DK, Mrazek, Larkin....we'd probably end up looking like them with a top heavy payroll. It's the consequence of success. The way around it seems to me that you have to keep drafting really well to have quality players to fill out the roster. I don't know much about Hawks up and coming players.

I'll fill you in.

They don't really have any.

All the ones they had are either on the roster, or were traded away.

Defenseman longevity tends to be high.

Your comparing Seabrook to a guy that was arguably the 2nd or 3rd best defensemen to ever play the game.

Let me try this again

Chelios played a lot of games, minutes, hockey

Bobby Orr didn't play a lot of hockey games

Get the point? Hmmm maybe.... Not.....

Edited by Rivalred