Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Chicago re-signs Seabrook; 8 years, $6.875 AAV

Rate this topic

Let me try this again

Chelios played a lot of games, minutes, hockey

Bobby Orr didn't play a lot of hockey games

Get the point? Hmmm maybe.... Not.....

I'm not the one that made one of the dumbest comparisons to ever be posted on this board.

Lidstrom's name should only be compared to the greats. Not Seabrook.

I'm not the one that made one of the dumbest comparisons to ever be posted on this board.

Lidstrom's name should only be compared to the greats. Not Seabrook.

I didn't say they were comparable in skill and talent now did I? Where in the hell did I say that

Get off your soap box; was a general comparison that defenseman can play for a long time

Hence why I came at it with a different angle with Cheli who played a s*** ton of games and minutes and not in the same category as Lids yet then I brought up Orr who is comparable to Lids but didn't play as much but had a great career

Yes I been fired up and you just added fuel to the fire... Don't poke the bear don't rattle the cage

Edited by Rivalred

I didn't say they were comparable in skill and talent now did I? Where in the hell did I say that

Get off your soap box; was a general comparison that defenseman can play for a long time

Hence why I came at it with a different angle with Cheli who played a s*** ton of games and minutes and it's the in the same category as Lids yet then I brought up Orr who is comparable to Lids but didn't play as much but had a great career

Yes I been fired up and you just added fuel to the fire... Don't poke the bear don't rattle the cage

Lids played a lot of hockey, minutes, and games. Just remember that

:taunt:

I'm not really sure that defenseman are more or less likely to have a long career than forwards are. I mean, there are quite a few recent examples of forwards who played well into their 40's as well. I think the determining factor is A) what type of game do you play, and B) what kind of injury history do you have.

Lidstrom played a really long time because he was relatively healthy throughout his entire career, and his body didn't wear out as a result of getting pummeled for 20 years. Orr's career was short because he had injury issues. Robyn Regehr retired at 35 because he played such a physically grueling style for a number of years. There's really no recipe.

If I had to handicap it I'd say Seabrook will see the end of the contract without losing too much off his game. While he does play a relatively physical game, he's not had too many injuries, and his usage will likely get easier as he ages. His offense will probably suffer as he gets older, but nobody ever relied on him for offense anyway. He'll be a capable, 38 year old, stay at home defender, leader, and all around steady blueline presence who puts up 20-25 points. And none of that will be worth 6 million bucks. But it will be a good contract for the next 4-5 years. Which is all Chicago really wants from him anyway.

I don't think it's a horrible signing, but it certainly continues in the (now) long-standing tradition of "questionable" cap management in Chicago.

I say "questionable" only because while they're pressing their luck in a lot of ways, up to this point it really hasn't bitten them in the ass as much as people thought it would.

As far as who the next to the block to fix any cap woes:

Bickell is an obvious choice, as he was rumored to be a movable piece this off-season.

You could always move Hossa. He's aging, but it's not as if he's in decline and he could net you some really good pieces.

Maybe Shaw goes the way of Saad, in that move that most people don't think is going to happen but surprisingly does.

I don't think it's a horrible signing, but it certainly continues in the (now) long-standing tradition of "questionable" cap management in Chicago.

I say "questionable" only because while they're pressing their luck in a lot of ways, up to this point it really hasn't bitten them in the ass as much as people thought it would.

As far as who the next to the block to fix any cap woes:

Bickell is an obvious choice, as he was rumored to be a movable piece this off-season.

You could always move Hossa. He's aging, but it's not as if he's in decline and he could net you some really good pieces.

Maybe Shaw goes the way of Saad, in that move that most people don't think is going to happen but surprisingly does.

I doubt they would move Hossa. I'm not sure he would net really good pieces anyway because that contract isn't wholly attractive. He's signed for 6 more years at 5.275 which will bring him to 42. He's still worth it, but I think you'd be taking a majority of downside years.