• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

9/30 Exhibition GDT : Red Wings 7 at Penguins 2

Rate this topic

Kip, I don't think Athanasiou has been so great in these preseason games because he's playing center, I think he's just that good. I still do think he would be just as good or better on the wing, and although I think he may play center down in Grand Rapids this season, I think his future in Detroit is as a winger.

I agree 100% Xym. I think Larkin and the Red Wings would both benefit from him playing a full season down in Grand Rapids, tearing up the American League. That along with continuing to gain chemistry with the other kids (hopefully Mantha). Another reason I'd like to see Larkin stay down is because, when was the last time a Red Wing won the Calder Trophy? 50 years, that's how long... The last three to win it, have all been goaltenders, Roger Crozier (1964-65), Glenn Hall (1955-56) and Terry Sawchuk (1950-51)... It'd be awesome to see Larkin win it, but I don't see him winning it over McDavid / Eichel. but Matthews and company would be a real possibility, especially with a full season of pro under his belt...

Like the past few seasons, probably even more so this season, I'm looking forward to watch the Griffins just as much as the Red Wings. Going to be a great year...

I don't disagree with your assessment of his talent. He is THAT good. Which is why I'd rather have him at the position of greatest importance (and organizational need). As a top six winger he'd just be one amongst many (Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, Svechnikov, Pulkkinen, Bertuzzi). We're much less stacked at center going forward (Larkin, Sheahan...Nosek?).

Plus, it's his natural position. Which everybody knows I'm a stickler for. I don't see the point of turning one of our top center prospects into a winger, and then needing to change one of our top winger prospects (Svechnikov) into a center.

How in sweet f*** is Holland going to find room for all these kids over the next 2 years?

Richards will be gone, Datsyuk will retire, Quincey gone, Franzen will retire, Miller will move on, Smith/Kindl/Both will be moved, Andersson will be waived, Helm (may) be traded or allowed to walk.

We'll be fine.

I'd even be amenable to letting Nyquist and Pulkkinen battle for the next year or so, and then move the one you don't want to keep.

Some others might throw Tatar in that group too. Obviously I wouldn't, because I think he's WAY better than the other two.

Richards will be gone, Datsyuk will retire, Quincey gone, Franzen will retire, Miller will move on, Smith/Kindl/Both will be moved, Andersson will be waived, Helm (may) be traded or allowed to walk.

We'll be fine.

I'd even be amenable to letting Nyquist and Pulkkinen battle for the next year or so, and then move the one you don't want to keep.

Some others might throw Tatar in that group too. Obviously I wouldn't, because I think he's WAY better than the other two.

I see the word "moved" or "move" a couple of times there. I am usually very very light on criticism of Holland, but when was the last time he moved a roster player? Of all the boring anti-Holland rhetoric, this is one of the few points I always agree with.

We'll be fine.

That's a ton of turnover. I can't tell if you're being cheeky or not...

I get what you're saying kip, and I'm definitely not apposed to keeping Athanasiou at center, it's just I see his speed better suited on the wing, for the same reason I think Helm is a better winger. Either way, I don't see any concern down the middle for us in the future, Larkin as our future number 1, and one of Sheahan, Athanasiou or Svechnikov as our number 2. I don't see the issue with converting a players position if management feels they would be better suited elsewhere, especially if it's done as early as junior. I think pretty much every forward has played every forward positions at some point in their career, and can easily convert from wing to center or vice versa. It's not like switching from defense to forward or vice versa, like they did with Ericsson, which is obviously a much harder transition.

No matter how you slice it though, we do have too many forwards (centers and wingers), and there needs to be a trade to alleviate the logjam up front. However, I do agree with rick, that's a lot easier said than done with Holland at them helm...

I was responding to Rick's comment about how we're going to fit all our young kids over the next two years. I legitimately see all of those things happening in the next 2-3 years. I don't believe Datsyuk will sign another deal. I think Richards will be done after this year. I think Quincey will be done after this year. I don't see Miller or Andersson having long term futures, Andersson will likely be waived this season and Miller's contract is up at the end of this year. I genuinely believe that barring injuries one of Kindl or Smith will be traded THIS year (recall, Smith was almost traded last year as part of the deal for Phaneuf).

The only real stretches in my previous post are Helm (who I think will be allowed to walk at the end of his contract a la Filppula) and one of Nyquist or Pulkkinen (which was my preference, and not a likely Holland move for sure).

I was responding to Rick's comment about how we're going to fit all our young kids over the next two years. I legitimately see all of those things happening in the next 2-3 years. I don't believe Datsyuk will sign another deal. I think Richards will be done after this year. I think Quincey will be done after this year. I don't see Miller or Andersson having long term futures, Andersson will likely be waived this season and Miller's contract is up at the end of this year. I genuinely believe that barring injuries one of Kindl or Smith will be traded THIS year (recall, Smith was almost traded last year as part of the deal for Phaneuf).

The only real stretches in my previous post are Helm (who I think will be allowed to walk at the end of his contract a la Filppula) and one of Nyquist or Pulkkinen (which was my preference, and not a likely Holland move for sure).

I definitely think some are likely. If we're being specific to next season, I see Richards, Quincey, Miller and Andersson moving on. I'm not totally sold on Datsyuk retiring a year early; Franzen's more likely. I also think one of Smith/Kindl gets moved this year (or in the offseason), and one gets to finish his contract. I'd prefer to see Ouellet, Marchenko AND Jensen up next season, but I think it'll be two of the three. Sproul's on the outside looking in right now, IMO.

I can see a battle between some of the skilled players, but I think Nyquist is safe. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jurco and Pulkkinen pitted against each other, though. Different style of player, but they're going to feel a push from Mantha and Bertuzzi.

I'm torn on the Helm thing, but I'm definitely hoping for it. It just doesn't make sense to keep him with Larkin and Athanasiou on their way up soon.

I definitely think some are likely. If we're being specific to next season, I see Richards, Quincey, Miller and Andersson moving on. I'm not totally sold on Datsyuk retiring a year early; Franzen's more likely. I also think one of Smith/Kindl gets moved this year (or in the offseason), and one gets to finish his contract. I'd prefer to see Ouellet, Marchenko AND Jensen up next season, but I think it'll be two of the three. Sproul's on the outside looking in right now, IMO.

I can see a battle between some of the skilled players, but I think Nyquist is safe. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jurco and Pulkkinen pitted against each other, though. Different style of player, but they're going to feel a push from Mantha and Bertuzzi.

I'm torn on the Helm thing, but I'm definitely hoping for it. It just doesn't make sense to keep him with Larkin and Athanasiou on their way up soon.

I wasn't implying Datsyuk would leave a year early. Sorry if it came across that way. I think he'll leave at the end of his contract.

I wasn't implying Datsyuk would leave a year early. Sorry if it came across that way. I think he'll leave at the end of his contract.

You don't think he'll stick around at least one more year to play in the new arena?

I kind of just condensed the timeline. Saw Datsyuk leaving Andersson being waived and sort of lumped it all in together.

I do believe Datsyuk will hang em up after this contract. That will open the door for Larkin to come in and learn even more leadership skills from Z before he retires and passes the "C" onto to Dylan!

Ok, ok, so I am a little ahead of myself, but just like stated above, when you have players like AA and Larkin pretty much NHL ready now, there really will be no need for a 39 year Datsyuk. He can skate away into Red Wings lore and be the first player to have his # retired in the new Arena (which BTW I am still calling Cadillac Centre© until it is officially named.) Not that I am wanting him to retire, but he seems to be getting more and more fragile each year, I'd like to see him retire healthy, and not because of an injury.