• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

captain2005

Goalie Battle

Rate this topic

Howard's too good to be a backup. He just needs to be on a team that doesn't have another starter like Mrazek. Needs to be dealt with at trade deadline or this summer. Pretty obvious at this point. Having a solid 1-2 punch in goal is great, but Mrazek's legit, and we don't need a $5 million backup.

haha 3 wins and people are already calling him the starter. This team will go through a winning and losing streak we've seen it and it will happen again. once it does goaltending depth will be nice to have.

People are calling him the starter because, get this, he's been starting most of the games recently (i.e. no more goalie rotation). And the games he didn't start he ended up playing in anyway because our other goalie got pulled almost immediately.

Found on nhl power rankings: "Petr Mrazek entered Thursday having played in eight straight games and had a .931 save percentage."

Then won last night with a .972

Sounds like more of a starter/backup situation lately than a tandem to me..

"I've been sayin' it. I've been sayin' it for ten damn years. Ain't I been sayin' it, Miguel? Yeah, I've been sayin' it." - Russel Case (Independence Day)

"Mrazek, uh, finds a way" - Ian Malcom/Jeff Goldblum (Jurassic Park)

I hate to say it but damnit, I'm going to. Good Bye Howard Apologists!!!!! All last year I kept saying how they should start getting Mrazek in a position to take over the starting job soon, especially with the way Howard was struggling. And all last year I got s*** on by almost everybody.

"He doesn't have any experience!"

"You just like him cuz he's new and shiny. Once he starts struggling you'll be calling for McCullom!"

"Blah Blah Howard Blah Blah...."

NO. I liked him because he was clearly better than Howard. Better agility and quickness, better stick handling, better positioning, better mental tougness, ect...

Well, I'll probably give him a pass. Everybody has a bad night or two. But Mrazek has shown that he has a short memory when it comes to that and can move on quickly. He's still young, still improving. And frankly he's just better. When you're better you have a longer leash. (Think Brett Favre. Threw a ton of interceptions. But he was an elite quarterback so you're more willing to overlook that in a way you wouldn't if it was an average quarterback. And the style of play that caused him to throw so many interceptions is what caused him to be one of the best in the game).

Jimmy is still a good goalie. Probably the best backup goalie in the league. I still hope he gets out of this funk he's been in and will cheer for for him when he does play. But Mrazek seems to have taken the starting job for good. Having a goalie tandem of Mrazek/Howard is a 'good problem' to have. Whichever way Blashill splits the starts from here on out is fine with me.

You and me bro...I've been saying it for 3 years. I am used to getting dumped on though, but I like when things work in my favor. Hudler, Franzen, Howard. Three guys that I have been piled on piled on for the last however many years. But, in the end, all is right. Hudler, gone, Franzen, gone (99%) and Howard pushed out of his starting job, probably soon to be gone. Now I just got to get rid of Helm! :lol: Although if Sheahan gets dealt, the I will be the first to admit it, we need to keep Helm for the time being, just don't give him more than $3.5M PLEASE!!!

But we can all agree ( I think we can ) that Mrazek has won the "goalie battle."

You and me bro...I've been saying it for 3 years. I am used to getting dumped on though, but I like when things work in my favor. Hudler, Franzen, Howard. Three guys that I have been piled on piled on for the last however many years. But, in the end, all is right. Hudler, gone, Franzen, gone (99%) and Howard pushed out of his starting job, probably soon to be gone. Now I just got to get rid of Helm! :lol: Although if Sheahan gets dealt, the I will be the first to admit it, we need to keep Helm for the time being, just don't give him more than $3.5M PLEASE!!!

But we can all agree ( I think we can ) that Mrazek has won the "goalie battle."

That's the fun thing about hockey. No matter how wrong you are about a player, if you just keeping saying it long enough you'll become right.

Larkin is awful and doesn't belong anywhere near the NHL.

That's the fun thing about hockey. No matter how wrong you are about a player, if you just keeping saying it long enough you'll become right.

Larkin is awful and doesn't belong anywhere near the NHL.

And then 23 years from now when he's old and broken it actually becomes true.. And you would have been right all along!!

---

Btw, Mrazek was one of three stars of the night last night by the NHL.

Edited by kickazz

Well Mrazek has showed me he's a #1 goalie. I think trading Howard would be a good idea. However, I wonder when the best time would be? Should we try by the deadline, or wait until the off season? I would lean towards the off season. I think it'll be easier to get a proper backup if we waited until the off season.

Well Mrazek has showed me he's a #1 goalie. I think trading Howard would be a good idea. However, I wonder when the best time would be? Should we try by the deadline, or wait until the off season? I would lean towards the off season. I think it'll be easier to get a proper backup if we waited until the off season.

If there's one thing I think Holland has absolutely excelled at over the years, it's finding good backup goalies. Whenever he has to swing it, I imagine we'll be in good shape.

Nope. That's right on point.

For reference, fans thought Chris Osgood sucked. Then he helped drag the Islanders and the Blues into the playoffs. Anyone that thinks Howard couldn't do something similar is crazy.

And you know the moment that happens everyone who called for trading him in the first place will bemoan how stupid our GM is for trading a clear star goaltender.

"I've been sayin' it. I've been sayin' it for ten damn years. Ain't I been sayin' it, Miguel? Yeah, I've been sayin' it." - Russel Case (Independence Day)

"Mrazek, uh, finds a way" - Ian Malcom/Jeff Goldblum (Jurassic Park)"

I hate to say it but damnit, I'm going to. Good Bye Howard Apologists!!!!! All last year I kept saying how they should start getting Mrazek in a position to take over the starting job soon, especially with the way Howard was struggling. And all last year I got s*** on by almost everybody.

"He doesn't have any experience!"

"You just like him cuz he's new and shiny. Once he starts struggling you'll be calling for McCullom!"

"Blah Blah Howard Blah Blah...."

NO. I liked him because he was clearly better than Howard. Better agility and quickness, better stick handling, better positioning, better mental tougness, ect...

Well, I'll probably give him a pass. Everybody has a bad night or two. But Mrazek has shown that he has a short memory when it comes to that and can move on quickly. He's still young, still improving. And frankly he's just better. When you're better you have a longer leash. (Think Brett Favre. Threw a ton of interceptions. But he was an elite quarterback so you're more willing to overlook that in a way you wouldn't if it was an average quarterback. And the style of play that caused him to throw so many interceptions is what caused him to be one of the best in the game).

Jimmy is still a good goalie. Probably the best backup goalie in the league. I still hope he gets out of this funk he's been in and will cheer for for him when he does play. But Mrazek seems to have taken the starting job for good. Having a goalie tandem of Mrazek/Howard is a 'good problem' to have. Whichever way Blashill splits the starts from here on out is fine with me.

You're a goofball buddy, ha.

Are you excited for the new independence day?

Rumor was that goldblum didn't do jurassic world because he was so busy with it, and I hope to hell they bring back randy quaid, I think they might have to find him first though...

Also fwiw, people weren't sh***ing on you primarily for your take on it, just the stat thread you tried to start came at a bad time and people were taking everything really seriously.

Most of the "howard apologists" you're talking about were just trying to be the voice of reason, and were frustrated with a couple people who who wouldn't even admit howard was an nhl goalie, and blamed literally every loss on him.(not you, you just kind of got caught in the cross fire) the responses grew less and less civil as the conversation went on.. you know how it goes.

Remember at the end of last year when a bunch of started talking about how we wish that bad pass goal stat had by actually been kept track of? Ha. It was a sore subject, and a fun, humorous new way for us to keep track of mishaps was taken too seriously. That's all homes, no one hating on you.

And Howie is a good goalie.

His contract is a bit much, but compared to other starting goalies around the league he's right in the middle... I guess we'll see how bad it really is when we go to trade him, because mrazek is the #1 now (I literally never saw a post say that he wasn't going to be, just that getting rid of howard right now would be a bad idea.)

We need to give the guys down in grand Rapids a little more time to develop, coreau (I know I've been pushing him as our back up of the future for a while now, even when McCollum came in and played pretty well) is coming into his own and was just named goalie of the month. We just need him to keep making strides and we'll be sitting pretty with him backing up petr.

Also, jimmy a contract isn't untradeable, we just won't get too high of a pick for him, but someone will be willing to throw out a mid round pick for him... Luongo isn't going to play at this level for much longer, Calgary is gonna need a legit starter, flyers might also be in the market in the next year or so if mason doesn't get back on track, and all of those teams have defenses thst are or will be much better than what howard has in front of him here, so his Play style will be much more successful imo. There's also Edmonton, since talbot isn't better than Howard(edm gave up a 2nd,3rd,and7th for him) and Vancouver will be needing a#1 to bridge the gap between Ryan miller and them developing Demko. (or whoever they draft this coming draft as a replacement)

Winnipeg will also probably be in the marketwith Pavelec and Hutchinson both underwhelming, and they're going to need a veteran to help mentor/play beside/in front of/or behind or Helleybuck so they habe to baptize him in fire, and neither Hutchinson/pavelec seem to be able to do that.at least not consistently...

Ha.

Long post.

Tl/dr: howard apologists were just trying to counteract the howard irrational hate squad(not you), and there will be a market for someone like Howard, even if we don't get back a high pick.

Now that mrazek won the #1job, let's see if he can be the workhorse goalie that plays ~60 games consistently and see how his body/play stands up, then we can sell howard for garbage if we need to.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

I fully support Mrazek as the starter being best for the team going forward, but a part of me really feels for Jimmy. I hope he does get an opportunity elsewhere because he is a good goalie that just fell victim to the circumstance of Mrazek blossoming into something special now.

Jimmy has always represented the Red Wings well and seems like a class act. Whatever happens, I'll always be a fan.

Edited by GoWings1905

I support Mrazek as the starter fully as being best for the team going forward, but a part of me really feels for Jimmy. I hope he does get an opportunity elsewhere because he is a good goalie that just fell victim to the circumstance of Mrazek blossoming into something special now.

Jimmy has always represented the Red Wings well and seems like a class act. Whatever happens, I'll always be a fan.

Good post. Love Jimmy for his off ice personality and jis gamer quality. He just isnt as good as Mrazek.

Maybe but Hasek was a 7 time Vezina winner so it hasn't always been the team in front of him.

Fair enough. I'm not really going to try to compare them. Hasek is clearly one of the best goalies ever. I just think it's silly to put Mrazek on that pedestal and compare Howard to CuJo. I like Howard, and I've wanted to see him succeed. It is looking like Mrazek will end up being the better goalie though, and that's a good thing for the Red Wings, though a bad thing for Howard