• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

captain2005

Goalie Battle

Rate this topic

Yeah Buffalo purposely brought in Lehner as a building block, along with the players from the big trade with Winnipeg. Least that's what they said about the move at the time. He's going to get a good chance to prove himself. I doubt they'd be in the market for Howard. Guess you never know though...

While I don't think anyone is clamoring for Howard's services right now, I see Winnipeg, Calgary and Carolina as possible destinations. I'm not 100% on the details of Howie's NTC, but I'm wondering if Kenny's free to move him during the offseason? At the very least, if management tells him Mrazek is their starter moving forward, it might push him to consider a trade.

If they can't unload him to a team in the near future, I wonder if they can expose him at the expansion draft (when/if it happens). Again, his NTC might complicate matters, but we'll have to see how the league handles NTC/NMC.

Calgary seems like a perfect fit, as neither Ramo nor Hiller are really working and both are UFAs. Ortio seems tabbed as their goalie of the future, but he's hardly played and hasn't been great when he has. Not sure what other options they'll have though.

I don't think Winnipeg would work. Hellebucyk (sp?) is playing great right now. If if they were interested, they'd probably want us to take Pavelec, which would kind of defeat the purpose of moving Jimmy.

With the rise of Mrazek and Howard being relegated to backup, I think Jimmy would be willing to waive his NTC. However, I don't believe he will do so to go to any ol' team, it would have to be something that makes sense to him and his family. He can list 10 teams that he will not accept a trade to, and I'm thinking Calgary would likely be on that list...

There are two main things players in Jimmy's situation will usually look for; location and opportunity. He will likely want to be traded to a team, somewhat close to Detroit or his hometown, in Upstate New York. I doubt he'll want to uproot his family to live on the complete opposite side of the continent. Opportunity includes both individual and team. Jimmy is only going to want to be traded to a team that he believes he would have a legit shot at taking over the number one spot, he's not going to want to go to a team where he would likely become the backup again. He's also going to want to go to a team that he feels has a shot at winning, either a contending team or an up and coming team.

To me, Calgary would be a bad choice, and I would think Buffalo would make the most sense for him. Whether or not it makes sense for the Wings to trade him to a divisional rival, or for Buffalo to even want him, I have no idea...

Either way, I don't think we should trade Howard until the offseason, unless a goaltender like Holtby suffers a season ending injury, and MacLellan calls Holland and makes a significant offer he can't refuse...

Philly might be a good place for Howard, besides it being the place goalies careers go to die. Howard for Mason straight up. That would insure he'd take over the number 1 spot, unless he's outplayed by Neuvirth. lol Masons only got one year left on his deal at a bit over $4 million. But they'd have to be willing to take a chance with Howard's contract. Might have to throw in something/someone else.

Edited by chaps80

While Buffalo probably seems like a good fit because of his ties to the area, it just doesn't seem plausible right now. Perhaps if Lehner would have been healthy all season and faltered, but he's only dressed for five games. I think they give some more time to a guy they moved a first-round pick for less than a year ago.

I get that Jimmy's less likely to want to go to western Canada, but if the alternative is that he's stuck as the back-up in Detroit... I guess we'll see. As much as I want Holland to be progressive with the situation now, I'm not sure he moves Howard until next offseason, which is likely to hurt his value even more.

Yeah it's time to switch back to Howard for the time being. Sorry Mraz but your skills are tanking at the wrong time of the season.

Lack of good defense doesn't help and I get it, but Howard was pretty solid in his last few starts and I'd pick him for now.

Yeah it's time to switch back to Howard for the time being. Sorry Mraz but your skills are tanking at the wrong time of the season.

Lack of good defense doesn't help and I get it, but Howard was pretty solid in his last few starts and I'd pick him for now.

Howard has always been a streaky goalie. He has single handedly put DRW in positions to win and also has been their downfall. Mrazek, at least until lately, was either A) better or B) more consistent in his goalie-ing.

I don't know, maybe Mrazek still not 100%? I think it's pretty clear he's still the number one guy at this point. Kind of an annoying problem really. Don't know for sure who you're gonna get.

I agree though that as long as Jimmy's hot to put him in there. That's when he flourishs. Like Goldberg in Mighty Ducks 2. Gotta ride it out.

I disagree. Unless Petr's hurt, he should start.

Howard has always been a streaky goalie. He has single handedly put DRW in positions to win and also has been their downfall. Mrazek, at least until lately, was either A) better or B) more consistent in his goalie-ing.

I don't know, maybe Mrazek still not 100%? I think it's pretty clear he's still the number one guy at this point. Kind of an annoying problem really. Don't know for sure who you're gonna get.

I agree though that as long as Jimmy's hot to put him in there. That's when he flourishs. Like Goldberg in Mighty Ducks 2. Gotta ride it out.

Ehhhhhhhh this year Mrazek has been consistent, at least until February, but last year he was a roller coaster. One night he would get pulled for 5 goals, the next night he would post a shutout, then follow that up with another 4 goal game. He was all over the place.

Anyway, maybe he needs the pressure of fighting for the top spot to play his best hockey. When Mraz and Howard were still alternating games they were both playing solid. I'm fine with giving Howard the next game. Give Mraz's groin some more rest if nothing else.

All hockey players are streaky, kind of the nature of the beast. Right now Mrazek is playing poorly. 3 of his last 6 games he has given up 5 goals or more. Just imagine if that was Howard....... This is why a team needs 2 good goalies and the talk by many of running Howard out of town is so silly. If there was another guy ready in the minors, then maybe. But that really isn't the case.

I just think they should play the one that's most likely to get them the win at this point. There's only 18 games left. Mrazek's had only 1 real good game in his last like 7 starts. He may need another challenge and putting Jimmy in might motivate him again. Either way imo they should do what's best for the team. We'll see who gets the start next game.

Edited by kickazz

Personally, I think Mrazek is hitting that sophmore slump goalies seem to go through. He will be elite, you can see it when he continues to get into position and battle to get in the way of the puck, he's just not on top of his game. I go with the hot hand in Howard for a little while and if he falters, Mrazek will need to step in and get the job done. It's just the way it goes, feels like when one goalie falters, the other has stepped up and we find ways to get points.

A stretch like this by Howard is what made Mrazek the #1... Now Howard has put together two amazing performances and Mrazek is faultering. If Howard can put together another great performance on Sunday then he deserves to get more looks. It's fair and for the best of the team at this point

A stretch like this by Howard is what made Mrazek the #1... Now Howard has put together two amazing performances and Mrazek is faultering. If Howard can put together another great performance on Sunday then he deserves to get more looks. It's fair and for the best of the team at this point

And yet petr has continued to win despite not playing his best unlike what Howard did in his 3 month slump. Keep with mrazek he will be fine.

And yet petr has continued to win despite not playing his best unlike what Howard did in his 3 month slump. Keep with mrazek he will be fine.

What are you talking about? Mrazek is 2-3 in his last 5 games. That's not even a winning percentage.

He's allowed 5 goals in 3 of his last 6 games. That's atrocious. 18 games left and we're in wild card spot. I don't care who the starter is. Play the goalie that's hot.

Edited by kickazz

He looks off even handling the puck. He also bit so hard on that Erhoff chance he had a wide open net but missed. He doesn't look the same as he did a month ago

Didn't he make a 2 line pass to Larkin on the 3rd from around the right circle?

The thing with people making excuses for Mrazek and not for Howard might be that Mrazek is only in his second season while Howard is the veteran big money guy. Mraz having troubles now and then while still getting established isn't as bad as Jimmy taking half a season off when he's supposed to and paid to be the number 1. People are just simply tired of Howard's struggles, simple as that.

To be honest, I've seen the same excuses for both guys. Just depends on how you want to remember things (whose 'side' you were on)...

But as Chaps said, Mrazek is gonna get a little bit longer leash than Howard. He's younger, he's the future in net, and frankly he's just better.

On top of that, this is like the 3rd season in a row where Howard has had not just a bad stretch here or there (which would be normal), but had serious struggles. That can't happen when you're supposed to be (and getting paid like) the number 1 guy and are in the 'prime years' of your career (as in not close to being a rookie anymore and not at the tail end of your playing days. Or however you want to define 'prime years', you guys know what I mean!)

All that being said, we need to win some games and stop giving up 5 goals a game regardless of who's in net. By all means play the hot hand, having two goalies is supposed to come in hand in situations like this!

Edited by roboturner