• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

captain2005

Goalie Battle

Rate this topic

goalies Mrazek and Howard have played in three preseason games each. Howard: 2.00 GAA and .943 SV%; Mrazek: 2.38 GAA and .929 SV%

Just read this, I'm sure some of you have as well. Just thought it was interesting.

For the record, I'm a fan of both, but really like Howard, and feel kind of bad for him last year, so I'm hoping he can still hopefully pull it out, and extend his career.

Read somewhere that we have something like four back to back nights of games in October and two in November.. that should give both goalies plenty of an opportunity to pull ahead for the starting job early in the season. And if both shine, even better! This is a great "problem" to have :P

I do find it interesting that so many want to hate on Howard, but when he out performs mrazek it is like a graveyard in here. Game 1 of the preseason with an AHL roster playing in front of Jimmy vs the Hawks SC roster, there are countless posts about his poor play. Yet on the 26th when we play the B's AHL roster with most of our starters on the ice Mrazek gives up 4 and nothing is said.

I don't care who the starter is. IMHO at this point in time I believe that Jimmy is the better NHL goalie. He has the experience and the mental makeup to be great-thus the AS nomination last year. In time Mrazek should also be a great NHL goalie, but he needs to develop the mental toughness for the job. Having 2 very good/great goalies is a great and wonderfull thing! We are blessed and should be acting that way! Half of the league doesn't have 1 good G and we have 2! We have the perfect setup atm. A very good proven veteran starter that is signed long term and a very good young prospect developing and pushing the starter that is hungrey for playing time. This makes us better as a team. I mentioned earlier this summer in the trade howard thread that the best option is to let thme both play and have a gradual passing of the torch. This year Jimmy 50 Mrazek 32 games, next year a 41-41 split, then the following year Mrazek 50 and Jimmy 32 games. At that point Jimmy is in his mid 30's and we can move on while wishing him well.

I do find it interesting that so many want to hate on Howard, but when he out performs mrazek it is like a graveyard in here. Game 1 of the preseason with an AHL roster playing in front of Jimmy vs the Hawks SC roster, there are countless posts about his poor play. Yet on the 26th when we play the B's AHL roster with most of our starters on the ice Mrazek gives up 4 and nothing is said.

I don't care who the starter is. IMHO at this point in time I believe that Jimmy is the better NHL goalie. He has the experience and the mental makeup to be great-thus the AS nomination last year. In time Mrazek should also be a great NHL goalie, but he needs to develop the mental toughness for the job. Having 2 very good/great goalies is a great and wonderfull thing! We are blessed and should be acting that way! Half of the league doesn't have 1 good G and we have 2! We have the perfect setup atm. A very good proven veteran starter that is signed long term and a very good young prospect developing and pushing the starter that is hungrey for playing time. This makes us better as a team. I mentioned earlier this summer in the trade howard thread that the best option is to let thme both play and have a gradual passing of the torch. This year Jimmy 50 Mrazek 32 games, next year a 41-41 split, then the following year Mrazek 50 and Jimmy 32 games. At that point Jimmy is in his mid 30's and we can move on while wishing him well.

Mrazek is our future. He'll be fine.

Tandem for sure.

Jimmy is a streaky goalie. I'd use him when he's doing great.

This. When he's on he's on when he's off, he's off. Regular season different goalie management than playoffs. Nice to have the option in the playoffs.

goalies Mrazek and Howard have played in three preseason games each. Howard: 2.00 GAA and .943 SV%; Mrazek: 2.38 GAA and .929 SV%

Just read this, I'm sure some of you have as well. Just thought it was interesting.

For the record, I'm a fan of both, but really like Howard, and feel kind of bad for him last year, so I'm hoping he can still hopefully pull it out, and extend his career.

I think you would have to look at the competition as well meaning that some teams like we did ran all rookie kids on some games and some had a lineup like Chicago did with a big part of their main roster rolling. So not sure if its worth breaking that down but I would be curious to see which goalie played against which players for those nights.

I am most definitely pro-Mrazek, but even I saw that he was still a bit inconsistent over the pre-season. Jimmy played well, most likely well enough to get the start in the season opener. Although I have been on team Mrazek for the past few years, I have said before that from a business standpoint, it may be better for Jimmy to re-take his #1 spot so it cost a bit less to re-sign Petr this summer. I am sure he will still get a nice raise, but it couldn't be too much, could it?

Anyhow, I am all for the tandem for this season, unless Petr just takes over in a huge way, then it will be fine to entertain calls at the deadline about Howard, but even if Petr did take over, it still would be a good idea to have them both for the playoffs, if we get there. Despite my past opinion's of Jimmy, I do acknowledge his usefulness and the fact that when healthy, he can be dominant in certain games. The apparent lack of shootouts that is perceived to be this season should help him as well. We've never gone wrong with a 1a 1b tandem before, why not ride it until a decisions HAS to be made!

I am most definitely pro-Mrazek, but even I saw that he was still a bit inconsistent over the pre-season. Jimmy played well, most likely well enough to get the start in the season opener. Although I have been on team Mrazek for the past few years, I have said before that from a business standpoint, it may be better for Jimmy to re-take his #1 spot so it cost a bit less to re-sign Petr this summer. I am sure he will still get a nice raise, but it couldn't be too much, could it?

Anyhow, I am all for the tandem for this season, unless Petr just takes over in a huge way, then it will be fine to entertain calls at the deadline about Howard, but even if Petr did take over, it still would be a good idea to have them both for the playoffs, if we get there. Despite my past opinion's of Jimmy, I do acknowledge his usefulness and the fact that when healthy, he can be dominant in certain games. The apparent lack of shootouts that is perceived to be this season should help him as well. We've never gone wrong with a 1a 1b tandem before, why not ride it until a decisions HAS to be made!

Who are you, and what have you done with Leftwinger? :lol:

It's Me!!!! Seriously! I just realized that there are better ways to put my ball in someone court without kicking the other guy off the playground!

In the end, it's all about winning! Do I hope Petr takes the reigns? Heck ya! But like I said before and in past posts, from a business viewpoint, it may be in the Wings best interest to have Howard re-establish himself as the legit #1. Not that I don't want Petr to make all the $$$ he can, but IMO, and I could be wrong, if he only plays 30 games it may cost us a lot less to re-sign him rather then if he played 50+ and win the starting job...that would mean a HUGE raise.