• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

captain2005

Goalie Battle

Rate this topic

This doesn't bother me in any way shape or form. I love the fact that we have 2 very good goalies. having great depth is a good thing, not a negative. I have never understand why so many seem to be one or the other. That is like picking between Z and datsyuk. silliness.....

Everyone likes having 2 good goalies but we have to think about the future as well

We won't be competitive if we have 10-12M tied up in goalies. Once its time for Mrazek to cash in, Jimmy has to go. Was the same situation in VAN with Luongo and Schneider, hopefully we don't trade both :lol:

Everyone likes having 2 good goalies but we have to think about the future as well

We won't be competitive if we have 10-12M tied up in goalies. Once its time for Mrazek to cash in, Jimmy has to go. Was the same situation in VAN with Luongo and Schneider, hopefully we don't trade both :lol:

Like Kickazz said, the best thing that can happen is Howie steps up and at least outplays Mraz this year. Then we can give Petr a backup goalies contract and retain both for a while longer. Giving us another year of very formidable goaltending in all 82 games.

But yes, If Mraz clearly wins the #1 spot Jimmy will have to be shipped out. And that can be a good thing too depending on the return. However if we wait for that moment, Howard's stock is going to sink. And he's not on a very cap friendly contract to begin with. And that's why I think Howard winning the spot this year is the best case scenario. We could then trade him at the draft for a high return.

Like Kickazz said, the best thing that can happen is Howie steps up and at least outplays Mraz this year. Then we can give Petr a backup goalies contract and retain both for a while longer. Giving us another year of very formidable goaltending in all 82 games.

But yes, If Mraz clearly wins the #1 spot Jimmy will have to be shipped out. And that can be a good thing too depending on the return. However if we wait for that moment, Howard's stock is going to sink. And he's not on a very cap friendly contract to begin with. And that's why I think Howard winning the spot this year is the best case scenario. We could then trade him at the draft for a high return.

Yup I agree with everything. Pretty much all situations are positive but the most likely Holland situation is retaining Jimmy until he has minimal value but even then we'll have 2 capable goaltenders for the time being.

Even if Mrazek wins the starting job this year I still think he gets a modest contract as an RFA. After that his caphit will likely be up there with the top 3-5 goalies in the league which is going to sting but be well worth it. I feel like he would thrive off of that pressure more than anyone else

Worst case is we trade Mraz and keep Jimmy for "loyalty". Man that would be rough.

Yup I agree with everything. Pretty much all situations are positive but the most likely Holland situation is retaining Jimmy until he has minimal value but even then we'll have 2 capable goaltenders for the time being.

Even if Mrazek wins the starting job this year I still think he gets a modest contract as an RFA. After that his caphit will likely be up there with the top 3-5 goalies in the league which is going to sting but be well worth it. I feel like he would thrive off of that pressure more than anyone else

Worst case is we trade Mraz and keep Jimmy for "loyalty". Man that would be rough.

Yup, yup, yup, and yes trading Mraz over Jimmy would be hard for to grasp.

Hope that we are shopping our goalies right now to some other teams. Return value is probably at it's highest point right now (This season).

Why would we want to do that? Our G's are what is keeping our heads above water. They are both playing great. Its not their fault we can't seem to score.

As I have said somewhere, I rather win and lose with Mrazek in goals. Howie is older and therefore is tired and slower at the end of the game resulting in letting in the tying goal. He is a very good goalie and would be great with a scoring team... He is lost with a 1-2 goal team like the Wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There it is, 1 minute to go and 3 goal Howie lets in the tying goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have also noticed a tendency for Howard to let in the tying goal during the last ~5 minutes of the game. Without looking up any stats, I assume Mrazek doesn't do this quite as often. That's why Babcock started Mrazek in the playoffs last year and, hopefully, if they make the playoffs again this year Blashill will do the same.

I have also noticed a tendency for Howard to let in the tying goal during the last ~5 minutes of the game. Without looking up any stats, I assume Mrazek doesn't do this quite as often. That's why Babcock started Mrazek in the playoffs last year and, hopefully, if they make the playoffs again this year Blashill will do the same.

Made me curious, so did some looking. Unfortunately, war-on-ice doesn't filter by time in game, so it's not quite conclusive.

Combined last year and this year, leading by one, with opposing goalie pulled, both are nearly identical. 2 GA for each, on 16 shots for Mrazek, 15 for Howard.

Leading by one, all situations there's quite a difference though:

Howard - 44 games, 548.5 TOI, 32 GA on 306 shots, 89.54 sv%

Mrazek - 32 games, 570.1 TOI, 16 GA on 293 shots, 94.54 sv%

The team is better defensively with Mrazek, but Mrazek is also much better. Better on all shot types too.

Low-danger (perimeter shots basically): Howard 7 goals/155 shots, Mrazek, 2/137

Medium (high slot/circles inside the faceoff dots): Howard 6/69, Mrazek 3/90

High (low slot/goal mouth): Howard 19/82, Mrazek 11/66

I figured there would be a difference, but I'm surprised by how dramatic it is. Among all goalies with at least 300 minutes in that situation (42 of them), Mrazek is 4th best, Howard is 3rd worst.

Oddly, when trailing by 1, Howard is 21st of 47 while Mrazek is 44th. Trailing by any amount, Mrazek is 56th of 61, with Howard 20th. Tied Mrazek is 2nd of 61, Howard 38th.

Granted, Howard wasn't great last year. Limited to just this year, they are much closer.

Overall, I don't know if you can say Howard is particularly prone to giving up late, tying goals. Not enough information available (unless someone cares to dig through game logs). But it does look like Mrazek, so far, is generally better in tied games or when protecting a lead, but more likely to get a bit rattled when behind.

Made me curious, so did some looking. Unfortunately, war-on-ice doesn't filter by time in game, so it's not quite conclusive.

Combined last year and this year, leading by one, with opposing goalie pulled, both are nearly identical. 2 GA for each, on 16 shots for Mrazek, 15 for Howard.

Leading by one, all situations there's quite a difference though:

Howard - 44 games, 548.5 TOI, 32 GA on 306 shots, 89.54 sv%

Mrazek - 32 games, 570.1 TOI, 16 GA on 293 shots, 94.54 sv%

The team is better defensively with Mrazek, but Mrazek is also much better. Better on all shot types too.

Low-danger (perimeter shots basically): Howard 7 goals/155 shots, Mrazek, 2/137

Medium (high slot/circles inside the faceoff dots): Howard 6/69, Mrazek 3/90

High (low slot/goal mouth): Howard 19/82, Mrazek 11/66

I figured there would be a difference, but I'm surprised by how dramatic it is. Among all goalies with at least 300 minutes in that situation (42 of them), Mrazek is 4th best, Howard is 3rd worst.

Oddly, when trailing by 1, Howard is 21st of 47 while Mrazek is 44th. Trailing by any amount, Mrazek is 56th of 61, with Howard 20th. Tied Mrazek is 2nd of 61, Howard 38th.

Granted, Howard wasn't great last year. Limited to just this year, they are much closer.

Overall, I don't know if you can say Howard is particularly prone to giving up late, tying goals. Not enough information available (unless someone cares to dig through game logs). But it does look like Mrazek, so far, is generally better in tied games or when protecting a lead, but more likely to get a bit rattled when behind.

Good research. Seems like Howard is shaky with a lead almost every time.

Mrazek on track to becoming the main goalie in the long run. This situation is almost perfect for him, alternating, reflecting, practicing.

To make it perfect in my opinion, someone in management should get their butt to Moscow and have a sitdown with the best goaltender of all time and try to make him consultant to the Red Wings for 2 seasons. I think you oldtimers know who that is, V.T. are his first letters.

I think Mrazek is ready for that, seems like a good next level progression to me. Playstyle fits nicely as well.

Mrazek on track to becoming the main goalie in the long run. This situation is almost perfect for him, alternating, reflecting, practicing.

To make it perfect in my opinion, someone in management should get their butt to Moscow and have a sitdown with the best goaltender of all time and try to make him consultant to the Red Wings for 2 seasons. I think you oldtimers know who that is, V.T. are his first letters.

I think Mrazek is ready for that, seems like a good next level progression to me. Playstyle fits nicely as well.

No, he needs to sit down with the best Czech goalie and we all know who that is and his initials are D.H. ;).

V.T.? Hmmm... Vesa Toskala? I doubt he'll be able to teach Mrazek a whole lot, unless it's learning how to let in shots from behind the oppositions goal line...

Or maybe you're talking about Vladislav Tretiak... Do you really think a 63 year old that hasn't played professionally in over 30 years would be able to teach Mrazek to play in today's game? I doubt he'd have a whole lot to offer to be honest... Jim Bedard seems to be doing just fine with Mrazek.

Or maybe you're talking about Vladislav Tretiak... Do you really think a 63 year old that hasn't played professionally in over 30 years would be able to teach Mrazek to play in today's game? I doubt he'd have a whole lot to offer to be honest... Jim Bedard seems to be doing just fine with Mrazek.

He was, and probably in his mind still is a soldier hockey goaltender. Recruited into the Red Army at age 11.

He probably never stopped analyzing the goalie position, I'd guess given his upbringing (brainwash) he can't. Check out some of the documentaries regarding soviet hockey.

Mentored Dominic Hasek and Belfour among others. So much more to say about this man, but it's all available online for the interested.

Only gripe I might have is that he didn't utilize the butterfly stance.

Should still be able to raise Mrazek a level or two.

Edit: here's a picture, he's the one in the middle. Red Wings fans should be able to recognize a couple of faces.

F redarmy A 20150308 870x557

Edited by Jacksoni