• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

captain2005

Goalie Battle

Rate this topic

The goalie tandem needs to end. Howard needs to go and we need to stick with our guy, mrazek.

Bob Mckenzie tweeted today that he believes Stamkos is leaving Tampa Bay at the end of the season and therefore could be traded by the deadline or held onto til free agency. If this is the case then either Kenny needs to clear Howards cap space to give us room to offer Stamkos a contract in the summer. I'd like Howard gone by the deadline either way.

The goalie tandem needs to end. Howard needs to go and we need to stick with our guy, mrazek.

Bob Mckenzie tweeted today that he believes Stamkos is leaving Tampa Bay at the end of the season and therefore could be traded by the deadline or held onto til free agency. If this is the case then either Kenny needs to clear Howards cap space to give us room to offer Stamkos a contract in the summer. I'd like Howard gone by the deadline either way.

Dumb move by Stamkos. No taxes in Florida.

I am by no means opposed to trading Howard if the right deal came along, but I think it would be foolish to do it at any point besides next summer. First off, I don't think the Red Wings believe Mrazek is the guy -- at least certainly not yet. Howard has been just as good as Mrazek, and the better goalie of the two, lately. Why mess up what has been the strongest part of the team so far?

I think it's pretty clear Mrazek will likely be the future starter, yet he still has never played an 82-game schedule. There is going to be inconsistency yet, he's more prone to injury playing all the time and what's the Wings backup plan if you trade Howard this season? You are basically a groin pull away from an AHL goalie or someone off the waiver wire.

I just don't believe it makes any sense to move Howard at the deadline. If he continues to play well (which I believe he will), you get the best of both worlds. A really good goalie tandem to run out this season and Howard has trade value next summer.

Holland already botched his chances with Stamkos anyways. He gave Justin Abdelkader seven years, has a large group of free agents next year and too many prospects to all keep around. His asset management is pitiful right now.

Edited by GoWings1905

If we pursue the trading Howard line of thought, we have to consider who gets bumped up. If Mrazek got hurt, do we have a viable starter to fill in? I'm not so sure. Everyone says not having one starting goalie means your goalie situation is insecure. I disagree - the best part about the Howard/Mrazek duo right now is that our contribution from the goalie position is more secure than any other team in the league, even if there's an injury.

Wings are not signing Stamkos, nor should they even be near the 12 million he is going to get.

I think Stamkos is a great player, and for the right price I would definitely take him. But I have a feeling the guy is going to be way overpaid, and if you look at his stats he has not been the same player since he broke his leg in 2014 and he is showing signs of a decline as a goal scorer.

He could easily bounce back, but if he is getting a 7 year deal at 10.5 mil/year, that scares me.

2009 - .29 GPG

2010 - .62 GPG

2011 - .55 GPG

2012 - .73 GPG

2013 - .60 GPG

2014 - .68 GPG

2015 - .52 GPG

2016 - .34 GPG

I think Stamkos is a great player, and for the right price I would definitely take him. But I have a feeling the guy is going to be way overpaid, and if you look at his stats he has not been the same player since he broke his leg in 2014 and he is showing signs of a decline as a goal scorer.

He could easily bounce back, but if he is getting a 7 year deal at 10.5 mil/year, that scares me.

2009 - .29 GPG

2010 - .62 GPG

2011 - .55 GPG

2012 - .73 GPG

2013 - .60 GPG

2014 - .68 GPG

2015 - .52 GPG

2016 - .34 GPG

Hmm.. Lead wide scoring has been down the last two years though ?

Also I think his production dropped after Martin St. Louis left right?

So it could be a combo of both things.

edit- just realized we should be discussing this in the 2015/16 league thread. my apologies.

Edited by kickazz

Hmm.. Lead wide scoring has been down the last two years though ?

Also I think his production dropped after Martin St. Louis left right?

So it could be a combo of both things.

edit- just realized we should be discussing this in the 2015/16 league thread. my apologies.

Ill post response in that thread.

Do people just completely forget or neglect that Jimmy has a modified no-trade clause?

No, that doesn't make him untradable or anything but he does have to be in on the idea.

I think he can supply a list of ten teams he can be traded to? (anyone with a solid source on this would be great)

That kind of narrows the field a bit.

I think Howard would waive his no trade clause if he was asked to, and he got to choose somewhat where he ended up. If it's clear that the team wants to move forward with Mrazek as full time starter, and he won't be getting much playing time, and isn't wanted or needed at his current salary, why would he stay? I think he'd welcome a fresh start as a starter somewhere instead of riding the pine and playing maybe 20-30 games a season.

I think Howard would waive his no trade clause if he was asked to, and he got to choose somewhat where he ended up. If it's clear that the team wants to move forward with Mrazek as full time starter, and he won't be getting much playing time, and isn't wanted or needed at his current salary, why would he stay? I think he'd welcome a fresh start as a starter somewhere instead of riding the pine and playing maybe 20-30 games a season.

How about if he were part of a quality goaltending tandem with something like a 55/45 split on the starts? Do you think he would waive his no trade clause in that scenario?

Edited by barabbas16

All I'm going to say is this is.

The last time the Red Wings won a Stanley cup. we had a goalie tandem. Osgood and Hasek split 50/50 during the season.

Hasek was the starter in the playoffs. He didn't do well the first few games and we switched to Osgood. Osgood did really well. Turns out having 2 goalies with the ability to play at the NHL playoff level works out if one of them doesn't perform well.

Edited by kickazz

All I'm going to say is this is.

The last time the Red Wings won a Stanley cup. we had a goalie tandem. Osgood and Hasek split 50/50 during the season.

Hasek was the starter in the playoffs. He didn't do well the first few games and we switched to Osgood. Osgood did really well. Turns out having 2 goalies with the ability to play at the NHL playoff level works out if one of them doesn't perform well.

Agreed! Whether it's a pure 50/50 split, 60/40, 55/45, 57/43 - no matter the ratio! - having two goalies that can play well night in and night out without needing six consecutive starts to "get in a groove" or whatever is great.

Sure, would it be nice to have Howard's cap space to go grab a top-flight defenseman and in the future, might it become necessary to move Jimmy once we need to increase Mrazek's pay, sure!

Should we complain about it now? Worry endlessly about "who's the starter?" Hell no.

52028577afa96f7933000014.jpg

million threads

Ha ha ha. Yah, makes me laugh when people say "can we please keep this in the dedicated thread?" Almost every single thread gets off track and results in us talking about the goalies, the d, or the weak offense. And there's nothing wrong with that, imo. Talking about what we agree on would be really useless.

Larkin is awesome.

Yep.

Agreed.

Yep.

Yup.

Sure is.

Yep.

But anyways, I have been impressed with Howard's resolve this year. He has stood up to the challenge and played well for the most part.