• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Roster Moves by the Wings

Rate this topic

I'm floored he made the team, based on how they've operated in the past. It's crazy to think the kid basically went from possibly being sent down to Grand Rapids, to centering the top line.

Not shocked that Callahan, Miele and Lashoff went unclaimed.

Jensen is fast. Other than that, he's nothing special. There's a reason the people who see these players every day on and off the ice choose one player over another.

I don't know that it's always that simple. I mean, right now we've got at least a couple of centers in GR who are better than Andersson. A couple of years ago, Nyquist and Tatar were probably each better than two or three guys ahead of them on Detroit's roster.

In general I agree with you, no organization is going to play worse players just for the hell of it. But if the margin of difference is small enough (as it seems to be with Jensen and Ouellet), and one of them has more favorable waiver eligibility than another, Holland has shown he'll send down a better player. Not every time, but some times.

I knewwww it had a gut feeling he was gonna make it , kids are finally getting the chances with Blashill as coach

Now if he starts racking up the points there's no way they could send him down

Ummm what if he does so good in the top line we gotta keep larkin there ? Datsyuk centers 2nd line with Gus and Tatar?, sheahan goes to wing for this year?unless we make some moves if mule stays healthy he might have to go on the 4th line ... We might have the deepest 4 lines we've had in forever

Scary team this year and laughable these experts I seen on tv in montreal all took detroit 5th place and beyond in our division

When datsyuk returns ...

Zetterberg larkin abdelkader

Tatar datsyuk nyquist

Sheahan richards pulkkinen

Helm/jurco glendening Franzen

Miller cleary anderssen ...

When pavel returns and if larkin sticks unless someone good gets hurt we might have to depart with one of helm/jurco/pulkkinen

I'd package a helm/smith or prospect /high draft pick type deal for a byfuglien if possible or someone similar ... Our d is where we clearly need an upgrade

Larkin - Zetterberg - Abdelkader

Tatar - Richards - Nyquist

Jurco - Sheahan - Franzen

Miller - Glendening - Ferraro

Pulkkinen

So, now it is really down to Cleary v. Andersson for your 14th forward...

2 weeks from now when Franzen takes his annual visit to the LTIR, Pulks will be one-timing Sheahan's passes on that 3rd line.

I knewwww it had a gut feeling he was gonna make it , kids are finally getting the chances with Blashill as coach

Now if he starts racking up the points there's no way they could send him down

Ummm what if he does so good in the top line we gotta keep larkin there ? Datsyuk centers 2nd line with Gus and Tatar?, sheahan goes to wing for this year?unless we make some moves if mule stays healthy he might have to go on the 4th line ... We might have the deepest 4 lines we've had in forever

Scary team this year and laughable these experts I seen on tv in montreal all took detroit 5th place and beyond in our division

When datsyuk returns ...

Zetterberg larkin abdelkader

Tatar datsyuk nyquist

Sheahan richards pulkkinen

Helm/jurco glendening Franzen

Miller cleary anderssen ...

When pavel returns and if larkin sticks unless someone good gets hurt we might have to depart with one of helm/jurco/pulkkinen

I'd package a helm/smith or prospect /high draft pick type deal for a byfuglien if possible or someone similar ... Our d is where we clearly need an upgrade

Keep Helm, trade Jurco. Keep Smith, trade Ericsson. Could be a good year for Tatar and Nyquist if they get to play with Dats.

Jensen is fast. Other than that, he's nothing special. There's a reason the people who see these players every day on and off the ice choose one player over another.

I think his skating alone makes him special enough to play on the bottom pair. He's got great mobility on the blueline, he can rush the puck up the ice and get back to cover his position quickly. During the TC training camp, he spent some time as Ouellet's partner. While XO roamed, Jensen covered for him. His speed allows him to play a solid two-way game.

I also think he has a solid first pass out of the defensive zone. Ouellet might have better instincts, but I think the way Jensen performed during the preseason is enough reason to keep him up over Ouellet right now. At the very least, he deserves a shot to show what he can do during the regular season in the NHL.

Edited by Jesusberg

I think saying "Jensen is fast...but nothing special" is selling him a bit short. Jensen has shown he's very effective in transition AND he almost never gets scored on. Those are pretty important characteristics for a defenseman to have IMO.

If Jensen is fast, but nothing special, then what are Kindl and Smith? Fast but nothing specialer?

I think his skating alone makes him special enough to play on the bottom pair. He's got great mobility on the blueline, he can rush the puck up the ice and get back to cover his position quickly. During the TC training camp, he spent some time as Ouellet's partner. While XO roamed, Jensen covered for him. His speed allows him to play a solid two-way game.

I also think he has a solid first pass out of the defensive zone. Ouellet might have better instincts, but I think the way Jensen performed during the preseason is enough reason to keep him up over Ouellet right now. At the very least, he deserves a shot to show what he can do during the regular season in the NHL.

He's also a right handed dman which we been bitchi for years that we never had ... I guess having 2 right handed dman on The team is a no no

I'd personally get rid of kindl and smith now and bring up jensen and ouellet/marchenko smith and kindl in my opinion have no future in detroit

2 weeks from now when Franzen takes his annual visit to the LTIR, Pulks will be one-timing Sheahan's passes on that 3rd line.

Keep Helm, trade Jurco. Keep Smith, trade Ericsson. Could be a good year for Tatar and Nyquist if they get to play with Dats.

Not trading jurco just yet , he's like 22? And very skills , helm will likely be gone after this year ... It would be a mistake to trade jurco

Ericsson as much hate as he gets is the only big body we have in our back end

I think the "right shooting defenseman" thing has tended to get overblown over the last three years. Nothing about being a right shooter makes a guy better, or more deserving of a roster spot. It's a characteristic that, all things being equal, you'd like to have a balance of.

For instance, Marchenko and Smith were a better pair last year than Smith and Zidlicky. In one instance having a righty worked, and in the other it didn't make much difference. If forced to choose, I would rather have seen Smith with another lefty (Ouellet?), or Zidlicky with another righty (Marchenko?), rather than those two together.

The lefty righty thing is based on all other variables being equal. If you're trying to find a partner for a lefty, and you've got two good guys with similar skillsets, then pick a righty. But if one guy is a mismatch in every other way, but is right handed, don't give him the spot based primarily on that.

Just my 2 cents.

I think the "right shooting defenseman" thing has tended to get overblown over the last three years. Nothing about being a right shooter makes a guy better, or more deserving of a roster spot. It's a characteristic that, all things being equal, you'd like to have a balance of.

For instance, Marchenko and Smith were a better pair last year than Smith and Zidlicky. In one instance having a righty worked, and in the other it didn't make much difference. If forced to choose, I would rather have seen Smith with another lefty (Ouellet?), or Zidlicky with another righty (Marchenko?), rather than those two together.

The lefty righty thing is based on all other variables being equal. If you're trying to find a partner for a lefty, and you've got two good guys with similar skillsets, then pick a righty. But if one guy is a mismatch in every other way, but is right handed, don't give him the spot based primarily on that.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd take the best defensemen period

The fact that jensen is right handed is just an added bonus and helps us balance the d ... He can play and I think at 25 he's ready , don't know now much longer the guy has to wait for a shot

My own opinion is smith and kindl have no future here and he can't be worse than those 2 so bring him up now

Because the better players need to play. They will get minutes down in Grand Rapids that they wouldn't get in Detroit. Cleary is NOT taking a spot from any of the kids.

For Cleary, the Pressbox is probably worse than getting sent down.

Say what you will about his play... I mean, what else is left to say... but the guy wants to play.

Edited by e_prime

Why do we keep Cleary when we send better guys down doesn't make sense to me

I didn't like the Cleary signing when it happened - I still don't. He hasn't taken a job from anyone "better", though. Cleary's the 14th forward - a placeholder until Helm and Datsyuk return. If Ferraro is waived before Cleary, then there's something to complain about.

You're not going to have Athanasiou or Mantha sit every night in the NHL, instead of playing first-line minutes in the AHL.

Interesting article by the WiiM folks regarding Glendenning's place (or possible lack of place) in the line up.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2015/10/5/9453943/is-luke-glendening-the-odd-man-out-red-wings

Wow the speculation on this article is way off. No way is Glen off the roster he's pretty much the most useful player outside of our top six and blash definately knows this. Also you're not gunna have Jurco, pulk or cleary centre the 2nd line during practice.

lines are

Abdelkader-Zetterberg- Larkin

Tatar-Richards-Nyquist

Franzen-Shehan-Glendening

Miller-Andersson-Ferraro

What concers me is having Jurco and Pulk out of the lineup. Thats the way it's been looking all preseason. Glen was extremely effective on the 4th so I don't exactly get this.