• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
e_prime

Raffi Torres at it again.

Rate this topic

Why do you think the NHL should not take past suspensions/actions into consideration when handing out suspensions?

I didn't say it. by offender status I mean offender 'star-ness'.

While 41 games is good, I don't understand why the league doesn't show him the door permanently.

I understand that kicking a guy out is a huge deal, but so are the alarming frequency of the injuries he's causing to other players.

Anytime DoPS really wants to get serious about player-caused injuries, go right ahead.

I didn't say it. by offender status I mean offender 'star-ness'.

Sorry, but i've never heard offender status used in that context before. It would be interesting to see what they would do if a guy like Shea Weber did that.

Sorry, but i've never heard offender status used in that context before. It would be interesting to see what they would do if a guy like Shea Weber did that.

Hah. NHL's bullcrap with the Shea headsmash on Hank will never be forgotten.

Such bs bias. Apparently it's not okay to "accidentally hit a guy on the head" but it's somewhat okay to grab a guys head and smash it against the glass.

Hah. NHL's bullcrap with the Shea headsmash on Hank will never be forgotten.

Such bs bias. Apparently it's not okay to "accidentally hit a guy on the head" but it's somewhat okay to grab a guys head and smash it against the glass.

Well would have Weber done it if we had a guy that would have made him pay for it? I don't think so yes, it's the NHL's fault but just imagine if he did that to Z back in the haydays of DMac or Kocur.

I think the suspension is more like a last "get your act together" message to Torres and some sort a reward for his "lifetime accomplishments". I mean the hit itself wasn't worth 41 games but the history of this headhunter, him going out of his way (through 2 Sharks, 1 Duck) to make that hit in a pre-season game makes this very justifyable.

I'm betting he will appeal this suspension and even go to the court if Bettman upholds Quintal's decision. So the whole Torres story is not ever yet far from it.

Well would have Weber done it if we had a guy that would have made him pay for it? I don't think so yes, it's the NHL's fault but just imagine if he did that to Z back in the haydays of DMac or Kocur.

You could also easily argue, would Weber have done it if he thought there was a chance he could be suspended 20+ games. If these cheap-shot are actually enforced with harsh suspensions, they will stop (or at least dramatically go down).

You could also easily argue, would Weber have done it if he thought there was a chance he could be suspended 20+ games. If these cheap-shot are actually enforced with harsh suspensions, they will stop (or at least dramatically go down).

Fair point but we all knew it wasn't going to happen, a broken jaw or nose would have put him out of the game too. Everyone knew Weber just like Malkin back in 2009 would get away with more stuff becauses they are star players. Should there have been a suspension? Heck yes but after nothing was done Wings should have taken justice into their own ends and signed someone to "talk" to Shea Weber about it. Big Bert at that point of his career was sadly to old and because of his history couldn't go out of his way to knock some sense into Weber.

But like I've said last year if you are tough enough to go after a smaller player (who doesn't drop the gloves) you are tough enough to replay to the Orr's, BigErns of the NHL too.

I mean, it's almost 3 years and I'm still made as hell about that non suspension si I'm even more surprised Mr. I, Ken Holland nor Babcock went ballistic about it.

Just read some Sharks forums and some of them think the appeal will reduce it by 20 games 8yeah sure).

Honestly wonder what's going thru the guys head. 41 games is significant.

Are you allowed to practice with the team while suspended?

No from my understanding you basically aren't a part of the team for the time of the suspension, hence why the Kings got fined for having that animal at practice during his suspension.

Personally I think even if they suspend Torres for 400 games he just doesn't get it.

While 41 games is good, I don't understand why the league doesn't show him the door permanently.

I understand that kicking a guy out is a huge deal, but so are the alarming frequency of the injuries he's causing to other players.

Anytime DoPS really wants to get serious about player-caused injuries, go right ahead.

I agree that while 41 games is a good start, they should just remove him entirely. Although, their thinking may be that since he's an UFA at the end of this season that no team will sign him based on the fact that he'll probably just do something stupid again and be banned permanently from the league.

I wonder how many games Scott Stevens would play in today's NHL? Guy would have been suspended for more than half of his career.

Right? People might not like Torres as a player, but to me this just shows we're slowly waving bye bye to big hit hockey for better or worse. I didn't think that hit deserved 41 games.

Right? People might not like Torres as a player, but to me this just shows we're slowly waving bye bye to big hit hockey for better or worse. I didn't think that hit deserved 41 games.

There will always be "big hits" in hockey. They just can't be reckless and "questionably" to the head.

Take the frigging boddy for chrissakes.

I'd like to think that Scott Stevens would have been smart enough to adjust his game.

Raffi Torres? Obviously, not so much.

Thankfully you can relive all of the olden days of BIG HIT HOCKEY on YouTube. Enjoy.

Edited by e_prime

Yeah. I agree with what you're saying in terms of old time hockey. Trust me I'm a huge fan of old time hits and fights.

But with Torres, the issue I have is his inability to comprehend the rules and regulations. You've gotten penalized before for something that's no longer allowed yet ya do it again, and again and again. The head shot rule was placed due to the evidence of pro sports players suffering TBI/concussions with terrible prognosis post retirement. What does he not get about that?

Torres can fight 40 fights a season, can make 120 hits a season as long as it's not to the head imo, and I'll be cool with it.

Edited by kickazz

Yeah. I agree with what you're saying in terms of old time hockey. Trust me I'm a huge fan of old time hits and fights.

But with Torres, the issue I have is his inability to comprehend the rules and regulations. You've gotten penalized before for something that's no longer allowed yet ya do it again, and again and again. The head shot rule was placed due to the evidence of pro sports players suffering TBI/concussions with terrible prognosis post retirement. What does he not get about that?

Torres can fight 40 fights a season, can make 120 hits a season as long as it's not to the head imo, and I'll be cool with it.

Don't get me wrong, I think Torres is an idiot and a dirty player. His history of this is why he got the 41 games. I just thought on this particular play he didn't appear to be gunning for the head, and it seemed to me that any actual head contact was incidental. If you changed the name on the back of the jersey there might not be a suspension at all.

The other thing that gets me about this play is (upon re-watching it multiple times) he clearly decides that he's going to go after Silfverberg before he even has the puck. I mean, he just makes a bee-line for him, tags him with a headshot and makes no effort to make a play on the puck. I think that's a big factor to why he got 41 games.

The other thing that gets me about this play is (upon re-watching it multiple times) he clearly decides that he's going to go after Silfverberg before he even has the puck. I mean, he just makes a bee-line for him, tags him with a headshot and makes no effort to make a play on the puck. I think that's a big factor to why he got 41 games.

Yeah I thought the call was going to be charging when I watched the play