• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

10/9 GDT : @ Red Wings 4, Toronto Maple Leafs 0

Rate this topic

Honestly, Babs has looked like he didn't want to be there the previous two seasons. You can tell he wasn't too high on the GM decisions being made and he just seemed like he was going through the motions. The game has also changed quite a bit in the last few seasons and Babs hasn't kept up. I can see him being let go from the leafs half way through his contract. I mean, getting paid double what all other coaches are getting paid because you had success for 10 years on a team that quite frankly, if they hadn't made the playoffs would have been a pretty rough season considering the players they ice every night. Babs strategies are already no longer relevant in this ever changing league and I would be quietly amused at his demise in Toronto.

They were showing highlights of the game last night on the NHL Network, they kept saying how it looked like Mike Babcock didn't want to be there. Never really notice until I actually really paid attention to him.

He had this weird nostalgic look at the end of the game... Either that or he was just passing gas...

Edited by wings87

Who else got super excited to see pav on ice during player introduction?

I was suprised more than anything else. Couldn't avoid looking for him hobbling, which is moronic since he has started skating. Hope he gets his legs under him fast. Need our superstar in asap.

----

Babcocks response to video tribute during game per Nhl.com

"It was nice of them to do. I wish they wouldn't have to do that," Babcock said. "I don't coach their team anymore. I'm glad this is all over with."

I was just about to post that. Seems like an odd thing to say right? I mean, is that out of shame? Or just despises nostalgia? Or is it regret? Or that his team got their asses handed to them and the wings don't have their best team iced with pav and their D is pretty thin.

Also, haven't heard anyone mention green. Only watched some of the game. How was he on D?

I was just about to post that. Seems like an odd thing to say right? I mean, is that out of shame? Or just despises nostalgia? Or is it regret? Or that his team got their asses handed to them and the wings don't have their best team iced with pav and their D is pretty thin.

Also, haven't heard anyone mention green. Only watched some of the game. How was he on D?

I didn't think he was terrible. Plus he had the most ice time on the team

To me it was typical stern guy nervous/shy response. You can tell the guy was way out of his comfort zone in that quote.

Also green was okay. Could be better. Hopefully will be as he builds chemistry with team.

To me it was typical stern guy nervous/shy response. You can tell the guy was way out of his comfort zone in that quote.

Also green was okay. Could be better. Hopefully will be as he builds chemistry with team.

This had to be a very tough day for Babcock. He's dealing with an uphill battle in Toronto and went through an emotional time deciding to go there. Everyone talks about the money and I get that, but you know someone like Babcock agonized over this whole thing. Coming to Detroit for his second regular season game as coach of the Leafs on our opening night had to be intense for him. And then we beat them 4-0. I can't fault the guy for the weird response. I'd probably say something similar.

And in all seriousness, I re watched highlights this morning as my view was a little hampered

Kadri had a good chance on a turn over. Matthias has a good chance on a turn over. JVR had a good chance. Holland had a good chance

Howard didn't look all that great, as Matthias and Kadri didn't get everything on their shot. Howard looking the other way and didn't realize the puck hit him when Holland made the shot .

Howard does lose the puck a lot behind the net

Wings will need to tighten their defense up and not be as sloppy, this game could of been a lot closer

It was the first game of the season, we are obviously going to have a little rust. However we totally outplayed them.

You bring up all the chances they had, what about all the ones we had and missed. It works both ways.

Abdelkader's 3rd goal: Zetterberg kicks it up to Abdelkader. Didn't notice it during the game. Awesome little play.

Pav has the best hands in the game.

Z... he's got the best legs. Dude's done the soccer pass trick at least a dozen times in his career. Ofcourse this is hockey and not soccer so no one really pays attention :lol:

Yea I noticed it too, pretty subtle.

----

Babcocks response to video tribute during game per Nhl.com

"It was nice of them to do. I wish they wouldn't have to do that," Babcock said. "I don't coach their team anymore. I'm glad this is all over with."

Odd:

"It was nice of them to do. They sure didn’t have to do that," Babcock said of the thank you. "I’ve said it a number of times, I’m glad this is all over to be honest with you. The Leafs played the Red Wings today and they won. It’s that simple." - ESPN Craig Custance

"They sure didn't have to do that" certainly gives a different impression than "I wish they wouldn't have done that"