• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
daniel1

Cleary NOT reporting to Grand Rapids

Rate this topic

If Dan does call it a day... more power to him. From the nice goals he contributed to during his time here. The big plays he's been apart of... My all time fav is Dannys hit on Phinnuf(speelin) when He was on the Flames.

I love the Phanuef hit, although I never understood how it wasn't a penalty.

Noticed tvrdon and nastasiuk aren't in the lineup tonight so I'm glad clearly isn't reporting and taking another kids spot

That being said anyone know if nastasiuk is hurt? Thought for sure he'd be in the lineup

That's a little ridiculous. If a player in GR were to get knocked out of lineup for Cleary then they're not of the caliber that is going to be important to our future. Down there we have Tangradi, Rechlicz, Campbell, Frk, Grant, and Hoggan who will almost definitely never play for the wings. Who do you really think it would effect?

Well said PVD!

Everyone needs to get over the Cleary hate, and see him for the player he was a few years back. The guy that put everything on the line in every single game and was a huge contributor in that '08 Cup run. He stuck around for a couple years longer than he probably should have... So what? Countless players do for the love of the game. I am certainly not going to hold that against him, and neither should anyone else. Want to blame someone? How about the general manager or the ex coach that kept bringing him back?...

Great career Danny. I've had the pleasure to meet him on several occasions and he'll always be a favorite of mine. Class act all the way!

This is what Maltby did a number of years ago. Get a contract. If it works out and he outplays the kids, then that's fine. He deserves to be on the team. If not, he retires and that's that. Everyone was mad at Malts for hanging around until he retired. Then everyone got some clarity and said, "Hey. He was just giving it another shot." and all was well.

I don't blame Cleary or Holland. In Holland's case, it was a win-win. If Cleary REALLY outplayed the kids (as if) he's be icing the best team possible. If Cleary didn't, then he'd either have a great guy in GR or he could let him go in peace. In either case, giving the kids a little more competition never hurts, and they got the benefit of Cleary's teaching while he was there. Remember that game when he and Larkin were on the bench after their shift? Larkin was intent on what Cleary was explaining to him. Since Cleary didn't play during the season, it didn't cost the Wings a dime.

In Cleary's case, it was a chance. It was one more training camp. One more pre-season. One more time hearing the roar of the crowds and feeling the comradery in the locker room. One last hurrah before skating off into the sunset.

I wish him well. I will always remember him as the Guy Who Almost Lost an Eye Fighting Chris Elbowf*** Pronger.

Its both funny and sad to me that there are still so many Wings fans that are Cleary apologists. Yeah, I get it he was a decent pick up for us an played hard...several years ago.

He should have left the Wings 3 years ago, but his ego and greed...er, wait... I mean "passion for the game"...kept him here taking advantage of people who would stupidly give him money he was most definitely NOT worth for several more years.

Like every Wings fan, I was ecstatic, and then heartbroken when he agreed to the 3 year deal a couple years back, then reneged, and ran back to (Red Wings) fools he could take better advantage of financially.

I was a fan of him several years back, like I said before, but now, I can't wait until I never have to hear his name ever again.

Bye Bye Danny, hope you enjoy all of that money the Wings gave you, since that is obviously all you cared about in your last years here.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Edited by sleepwalker

Its both funny and sad to me that there are still so many Wings fans that are Cleary apologists. Yeah, I get it he was a decent pick up for us an played hard...several years ago.

He should have left the Wings 3 years ago, but his ego and greed...er, wait... I mean "passion for the game"...kept him here taking advantage of people who would stupidly give him money he was most definitely NOT worth for several more years.

Like every Wings fan, I was ecstatic, and then heartbroken when he agreed to the 3 year deal a couple years back, then reneged, and ran back to (Red Wings) fools he could take better advantage of financially.

I was a fan of him several years back, like I said before, but now, I can't wait until I never have to hear his name ever again.

Bye Bye Danny, hope you enjoy all of that money the Wings gave you, since that is obviously all you cared about in your last years here.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

He was really good to a lot of fans, and amazing to roboturners sister.

So I don't have a bad thing to say about the guy.

I'm glad he's hanging them up, but I can't fault him for trying to keep his dream alive.

It's sad to me that there are still so many Wings fans that don't give Cleary the respect that he deserves. Ego and Greed? Give me a f***ing break. Taking advantage of people? Are you f***ing serious?

I'm not sure why I even bother responding to such rebuttal. Pure ignorance...

This is what Maltby did a number of years ago. Get a contract. If it works out and he outplays the kids, then that's fine. He deserves to be on the team. If not, he retires and that's that. Everyone was mad at Malts for hanging around until he retired. Then everyone got some clarity and said, "Hey. He was just giving it another shot." and all was well.

I don't blame Cleary or Holland. In Holland's case, it was a win-win. If Cleary REALLY outplayed the kids (as if) he's be icing the best team possible. If Cleary didn't, then he'd either have a great guy in GR or he could let him go in peace. In either case, giving the kids a little more competition never hurts, and they got the benefit of Cleary's teaching while he was there. Remember that game when he and Larkin were on the bench after their shift? Larkin was intent on what Cleary was explaining to him. Since Cleary didn't play during the season, it didn't cost the Wings a dime.

In Cleary's case, it was a chance. It was one more training camp. One more pre-season. One more time hearing the roar of the crowds and feeling the comradery in the locker room. One last hurrah before skating off into the sunset.

I wish him well. I will always remember him as the Guy Who Almost Lost an Eye Fighting Chris Elbowf*** Pronger.

This is exactly what Malts did, if I remember rightly it was because he neededa contract to come to camp. Any player that was with that team the season before needs a contract to attend, can't sign a PTO with them.

It's sad to me that there are still so many Wings fans that don't give Cleary the respect that he deserves. Ego and Greed? Give me a f***ing break. Taking advantage of people? Are you f***ing serious?

I'm not sure why I even bother responding to such rebuttal. Pure ignorance...

I like Cleary enough and I think some people take it way too far, but he definitely outstayed his welcome. He should've known better last year. This year was ridiculous. The only thing I'm not sure about is the AHL bit. I thought I heard that he was open to the two way deal and if he didn't make it, he'd be a sort of player/coach in GR. I thought that was the point of this contract, and why he was offered yet another opportunity this year. If that was the spirit of the deal and then he decided against it, it does sour me on all of this Dan Cleary charity somewhat.

Still though, all in all, I like Dan Cleary for what he brought to this team in his better years and it's tough to knock him for wanting to stay a Red Wing. I wish he'd have gone out a bit more gracefully though.

I imagine him being offered some made-up position as "Special Associate Assistant Coordinator and Consultant of Player Perspectives and Development" within the Wings organization. Didn't Chelios have a position like that for a while?

Made me laugh!

Any animosity towards Cleary is misdirected. He didn't have a gun to Kenny's head.

Did he tho? All these hand shake deals and secrecy of what will happen with Cleary and his salary is making me wonder!

Edited by kickazz

I dont get why people even care about this. It doesn't effect the cap, and nobody on Detroit seems to care. Holland gave him a chance to make the team, he didnt. Whats the big deal????

Even if they pay him 950,000.....why do people care? If anything, this shows guy like Abby that if he is loyal to the Wings, they will be loyal back. Being loyal to a fault is not a bad reputation to have in today's NHL.

Edited by kliq

It'd be great if the front office was less worried about signing a guy with zero shot of adding anything to this roster and more concerned with making a decent trade to off-load some forwards for

something in return. We have had a glut of mediocre talent at forward and the need for another solid defenseman for some time yet Holland seems fixated on getting Cleary his $950K. We are

actually debating sending Larkin to the minors because we won't have roster space once Datsyuk returns...that's just plain stupid.