Hockeytown0001

10/10 GDT : Red Wings 4 at Hurricanes 3

Rate this topic

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

Tatar-Larkin-Mantha

Nyquist-Sheahan-Jurco

Glendening-Helm-Athanasiou

That's our most potent line-up.

1st thing I noticed: you're posting in a GDT for a game that Pulkkinen scored 2 goals and you've excluded him from you're line-up. I think that secures his place over challengers (Jurco) at least for a few games.

Also, I think:

Franzen's looked pretty good so far.

Richards is still finding his footing - It's too early to right off his impact. It is interesting that he's already on the 3rd line without Datsyuk even in the lineup. Don't want to jump on that storyline too soon, though...

Mantha still has a lot to prove.

I'd say I could get behind that as next year's lineup, but Franzen will be somewhere. Edit: And Pulks as an extra forward.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

1st thing I noticed: you're posting in a GDT for a game that Pulkkinen scored 2 goals and you've excluded him from you're line-up. I think that secures his place over challengers (Jurco) at least for a few games.

Also, I think:

Franzen's looked pretty good so far.

Richards is still finding his footing - It's too early to right off his impact. It is interesting that he's already on the 3rd line without Datsyuk even in the lineup. Don't want to jump on that storyline too soon, though...

Mantha still has a lot to prove.

I'd say I could get behind that as next year's lineup, but Franzen will be somewhere. Edit: And Pulks as an extra forward.

Good pints

I don't know about this actually. Sure, Pulkkinen scored two goals, but I thought for the vast majority of the game he looked really bad. I mean the team in general looked bad but I remember noticing Pulkkinen specifically on several occasions looking terrible. So much so that I commented on it and how I thought Jurco should be in for him on Tuesday. And then he scored twice, so I don't know. I just don't think he played all that well even considering his two goals.

I wouldn't mess with the top 9. He goes on the 4th with glen and Miller

Id like to see a Tatar, Helm, Jurco 3rd line just for the speed. I dunno how it would pan out, but Helm being able to bust through the neutral zone and letting the finesse kids do their thing is sorta like D and Z with Abbey just twice as fast and maybe not quite as skilled.

Not sure. Jurco was given opportunities in the preseason and he didn't do well. The result is that he scratched.

With Pulkinens two goals he's likely to stay in line up for a while. And no one else on the roster will lose a spot to Jurco. Especially with Helm coming back soon.

Jurco isn't in the best situation right now imo

Edited by kickazz

Not sure. Jurco was given opportunities in the preseason and he didn't do well. The result is that he scratched.

With Pulkinens two goals he's likely to stay in line up for a while. And no one else on the roster will lose a spot to Jurco. Especially with Helm coming back soon.

Jurco isn't in the best situation right now imo

Frustrating, because Jurco has a good toolset and is super young. Miller, Andersson, and Franzen need to get tossed.

Frustrating, because Jurco has a good toolset and is super young. Miller, Andersson, and Franzen need to get tossed.

I have to disagree with you.

Miller is a very good 4th line grinder who excels on the PK. Jurco playing in his spot would not be a good fit.

Andersson is a healthy scratch, he's not taking anything away from Jurco.

Franzen is a bigger contributor then Jurco. One day Jurco may very well get better, but it hasn't happened yet. If Jurco outplayed Franzen in practice/camp, I'm sure Franzen would be the healthy scratch, and Jurco would be 3rd line winger.

I have to disagree with you.

Miller is a very good 4th line grinder who excels on the PK. Jurco playing in his spot would not be a good fit.

Andersson is a healthy scratch, he's not taking anything away from Jurco.

Franzen is a bigger contributor then Jurco. One day Jurco may very well get better, but it hasn't happened yet. If Jurco outplayed Franzen in practice/camp, I'm sure Franzen would be the healthy scratch, and Jurco would be 3rd line winger.

The new coach cant sit 10 million of salary in favor of 3 million. This is why Franzen, Howard, and Miller will play out their contracts. To save a little face for the GM.

The new coach cant sit 10 million of salary in favor of 3 million. This is why Franzen, Howard, and Miller will play out their contracts. To save a little face for the GM.

I might add "at the beginning of the season". .... Prove what they all have to offer with what ice time they get. Come 2016, GM saves no face by missing the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jurco has the toolset but hasn't equated to success at the NHL level andike others have said, he may be bundled in a deal as I don't see Larkin going anywhere when helmer and pavel returning if he keeps this pace

Wonder how Mantha feels since in a sense Larkin leap frogged him

I rather see Helm traded away than Jurco at the moment. If there is one thing that is typical for this Ken Holland over the years it is patience with young players. And if they didn't think that Juro can improve he wouldn't be up with the Wings but provide support for the Griffins.

Regarding Mantha : I hope it lights a fire under his ass to play that good that Kenny is almost forced to call him up and let him stay with the team, next season at latest.

I don't understand why people keep saying that Jurco has the skills to be a legitimate NHL player, but he hasn't proven he can do so yet... In order to prove something, you need to be given a shot. Jurco hasn't been given a legitimate shot in my opinion and he continues to be misused. I'm very surprised Blash isn't using him properly after what he showed he can do when put in a scoring role. I think it would be a huge mistake to trade Jurco at this point, as I believe he will eventually become a legit top 6 winger. His stock is at an all time low right now. He needs to get into some games and be put in a situation to succeed before you can even think about giving up on the kid.

Jurco has the toolset but hasn't equated to success at the NHL level andike others have said, he may be bundled in a deal as I don't see Larkin going anywhere when helmer and pavel returning if he keeps this pace

Wonder how Mantha feels since in a sense Larkin leap frogged him

Larkin leapfrogged everyone not named Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

I don't understand why people keep saying that Jurco has the skills to be a legitimate NHL player, but he hasn't proven he can do so yet... In order to prove something, you need to be given a shot. Jurco hasn't been given a legitimate shot in my opinion and he continues to be misused. I'm very surprised Blash isn't using him properly after what he showed he can do when put in a scoring role. I think it would be a huge mistake to trade Jurco at this point, as I believe he will eventually become a legit top 6 winger. His stock is at an all time low right now. He needs to get into some games and be put in a situation to succeed before you can even think about giving up on the kid.

I feel the same way. He would kick ass with Larkin on a scoring line.

If that were true, Weiss would have played every game he was healthy for last year.

You mention Franzen, Howard and Miller. Howard is not keeping Mrazek down, they are literally battling for the starting job, and after 2 games both are playing very well. If we were 41 games in and Howard was playing like garbage and Mrazek was playing great yet Blashill kept starting Howard, then you would have a point. But that just isn't what is going on and is an incorrect narrative.

Again, Miller is a great 4th line grinder, do you honestly bevel that Jurco should be in THAT role? I would also love to see Jurco get a legit shot, but not on the 4th line. I'm not even going to get into Franzen, that topic has been discussed to death.

If that were true, Weiss would have played every game he was healthy for last year.

You mention Franzen, Howard and Miller. Howard is not keeping Mrazek down, they are literally battling for the starting job, and after 2 games both are playing very well. If we were 41 games in and Howard was playing like garbage and Mrazek was playing great yet Blashill kept starting Howard, then you would have a point. But that just isn't what is going on and is an incorrect narrative.

Again, Miller is a great 4th line grinder, do you honestly bevel that Jurco should be in THAT role? I would also love to see Jurco get a legit shot, but not on the 4th line. I'm not even going to get into Franzen, that topic has been discussed to death.

I actually dont think we need 4th line "grinders". Would rather see 12 guys who can all score and play a 200 ft game if we have 12 of those. We finally do. Jurco-Glendening-Athanasiou would be a much better 4th line than Miller-Andersson-Ferraro. I know Babcock has injected the Drew Miller coolaid into everyone and made people think that he's some God on the penalty kill and the best 4th line player in the history of the NHL. All a big sham. 5 goals, -3 last year. We were 17th on the pk. Not 17th out of 20000. 17th out of 30. I'm all for his hustle and gamer qualities, but the fact is that Drew Miller just isnt that good. If he gets re-signed, the Wings will be making a big mistake. This should be his last year here, and he shouldnt be in come playoff time.

I don't know about this actually. Sure, Pulkkinen scored two goals, but I thought for the vast majority of the game he looked really bad. I mean the team in general looked bad but I remember noticing Pulkkinen specifically on several occasions looking terrible. So much so that I commented on it and how I thought Jurco should be in for him on Tuesday. And then he scored twice, so I don't know. I just don't think he played all that well even considering his two goals.

Natural scorers do that. Many of them look like crap on the ice. You wonder what the hell they're doing on the ice at all unless they're already established as snipers. Then suddenly out of nowhere *kaching*.

This is a talent that's very hard to teach. It's part seeing the game differently, part going "opposite the flow of the game". If Pulkky proves to be a superb scorer in the NHL level he is worth more than his weight in gold, I guess we'll find out this season.

Edited by Jacksoni

Natural scorers do that. Many of them look like crap on the ice. You wonder what the hell they're doing on the ice at all unless they're already established as snipers. Then suddenly out of nowhere *kaching*.

This is a talent that's very hard to teach. It's part seeing the game differently, part going "opposite the flow of the game". If Pulkky proves to be a superb scorer on the NHL level he is worth more than his weight in gold, I guess we'll find out this season.

Spot on. Fact is 3/4 of the league doesnt even get a stick on his first goal. It was flukey the way it went in, but his hands made that fluke possible. You gotta have guys who score and have a passion for it. Pulks needs to get better in other areas, but that dude can score.

I actually dont think we need 4th line "grinders". Would rather see 12 guys who can all score and play a 200 ft game if we have 12 of those. We finally do. Jurco-Glendening-Athanasiou would be a much better 4th line than Miller-Andersson-Ferraro. I know Babcock has injected the Drew Miller coolaid into everyone and made people think that he's some God on the penalty kill and the best 4th line player in the history of the NHL. All a big sham. 5 goals, -3 last year. We were 17th on the pk. Not 17th out of 20000. 17th out of 30. I'm all for his hustle and gamer qualities, but the fact is that Drew Miller just isnt that good. If he gets re-signed, the Wings will be making a big mistake. This should be his last year here, and he shouldnt be in come playoff time.

Exaggerate much lol. I'm saying he is very good on the PK and a better fit on the 4th line then Jurco. Never said he is a god or the best 4th liner in the history of the NHL (has anyone lol????). You want to discuss coaching philosophies, that is a different conversation. As of October 12, 2015, the 4th line is what it is and given what it is Miller is a better fit then Jurco, that's what I am arguing.

Also, him having 5 goals and being -3 literally has NOTHING to do with his ability on the PK. Being ranked 17th does slightly fall on him, but that is a team PK% not a reflection of one person.

Baring a trade, I do agree that he probably doesn't get re-signed due to cap reasons.