• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

10/13 GDT : Lightning 1 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

And? We just played the stanley cup runner up. You don't expect him to have a mistake or 2 against the best teams in the league. I think expectations are a little too lofty for Smith. People seem to want him to be flawless, ala #5.

He makes mistakes even if we play the Edmonton Oilers or Phoenix Coyotes. Tons of them. And his mistakes are usually really really dumb.

Just pointing out why he's criticized.

When you play against Stamkos most of the time you're allowed to look like you're 20. I think Smith had a good game tonight.

Maybe. I'm not saying he had a bad game.

The point is Smith is a target for criticism because of track record. I thought this was obvious around here?

For the record I think Smith has had a pretty decent start. I'm not complaining.

Edited by kickazz

I don't hate him but I don't think his going to be here over kindl when DD comes back

I bet Smith and Kindl will platoon. But that's not Smith's fault. Our GM is an ass hat who only works 2 days a year. We have 10 NHL defensemen right now and there isnt a whisper of a trade in the works.

Some observations tonight. First game I've attended this year and watching from the stands gives an entirely new appreciation for Larkin. This guy is a ball of energy and skill. Extremely difficult to check and on top of it all had amazing hockey sense. The third D pairing is a goal waiting to happen. Kindl and Smith can't play together too much longer and expect to win. At one point or another both of them were turning the puck over however both provided some needed offensive punch. Watching Smith step into the play was very refreshing. Ericsson should be the first Dman to rest when 65 gets back. 52 provided nothing tonight other than costly turnovers and killed momentum in the offensive zone. Lastly Zetterberg was the best player on the ice by far. This guy just seems to get better with age. His puck control was second to none and was great defensively in his own zone.

Any word as to why Mule was a late scratch ?

This is from the Detroit News.com.

Detroit — Johan Franzen was a late scratch from Tuesday’s game because he wasn’t feeling well.

Blashill said Franzen became ill after he went home at the conclusion of the morning skate.

“When he went home today he didn’t feel good,” said Blashill, who didn’t have any information as to whether the illness had any link to the previous concussions Franzen had.

Franzen suffered a concussion in January and didn’t play again the rest of last season.

Franzen returned for training camp this season, and played four exhibition games and the first two regular season games.

Landon Ferraro replaced Franzen in the lineup.

Ericsson should be the first Dman to rest when 65 gets back. 52 provided nothing tonight other than costly turnovers and killed momentum in the offensive zone.

At one point my wife turned to me from whatever she was doing and said "do you not like Ericsson?" I think I was shouting his name in frustration.

Loving the 3-0. I was worried the first half the game because... Well, I know ice is slippery but the wings couldn't seem to stay on their feet. It was like watching Pewee. Pleased to see they found their wheels and started Rollin!

Anyone else notice how good Green looked out there? He was clearly a leader on the ice and looked confident and comfortable. I wasn't expecting such solid D from him like this.

I also thought Jurco put in a good effort and showed some hunger as the game wore on.

Yes. Green had a great game. Saved a break away, which is a goal on Howard more than likely, and had a lot of nice defensive stick checks. His takeaway/giveaway was extremely positive last night.

Good game all the way around. Larkin is amazing, too bad he didn't score on the breakaway but what a great wrister and only missed by inches, if that. Z is back to his old self, hope he can keep it up all year. Nyquist finally broke the ice and scored, he needed that, of course it was on the PP though, would love to see him score 5 on 5 more. Green played great and what a play to prevent the breakaway, I thought Quincey looked absolutely lost on that play, not sure what he was doing. Really liking the way Kindl is playing this year, much improved.

It is great to be a Wings fan!!

Edited by drwfan1916

Our transition game is the biggest difference between this year and last. We're basically fielding the same "crappy" defense that Mike Babcock didn't trust to lead the breakout, and yet we're extremely effective at getting the puck up the ice with momentum.

I mean, having Green helps no doubt. But it's interesting that Kindl, Smith, Quincey, and Ericsson can all look so much more effective than a year ago. Take Smith, for example. Everybody knows that I'm not the guy's biggest fan. And he didn't disappoint last night. A couple of bungling turnovers, etc. etc. But the big difference is that when he did it last night, he wasn't deep in the Detroit zone. I honestly don't give a damn if he throws the puck away up ice. Sure it breaks up momentum, but it's really not harmful. Same with Kindl. Weird how that works.

Edited by kipwinger

Our transition game is the biggest difference between this year and last. We're basically fielding the same "crappy" defense that Mike Babcock didn't trust to lead the breakout, and yet we're extremely effective at getting the puck up the ice with momentum.

I mean, having Green helps no doubt. But it's interesting that Kindl, Smith, Quincey, and Ericsson can all look so much more effective than a year ago. Take Smith, for example. Everybody knows that I'm not the guy's biggest fan. And he didn't disappoint last night. A couple of bungling turnovers, etc. etc. But the big difference is that when he did it last night, he wasn't deep in the Detroit zone. I honestly don't give a damn if he throws the puck away up ice. Sure it breaks up momentum, but it's really not harmful. Same with Kindl. Weird how that works.

Well said. Smith and Kindl are getting better at recognizing the serious pressure. Seems like they are making the safer plays.

You missed the point. It's not that Smith and Kindl have suddenly become better players, it's that the coach is using them differently, so they're now more effective.

Those 2 concepts go hand in hand. Good coaching makes a player better. I wasn't trying to take anything away from Blash.