• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

10/13 GDT : Lightning 1 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

Good to see Jurco's back in. I think all the comments people have said about him being misused and not given a chance don't make sense to me. This will be his 100th NHL game. He put himself in this situation with his play. He didn't start last year on the 4th line - He failed to produce and then that was the only spot for him. Also, If he had outplayed Pulkkinen in the preseason, I think the organization would have preferred the more rounded player be in between the two. I do think the mistake made with him was that he should have been given more time in the AHL to develop so that he could stick once he was up.

But anyway that's all the past. For going forward his path to success seems to be the same as Abdelkader's - Play a solid defensive game and chip in as much as you can on the lower lines and take the opportunities from injury.

Don't love the lines with Larkin on wing. Nyquist looked good for the first time this year when he was with Z. Hope the secondary scoring kicks in tonight.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Jurco has a huge advantage over Pulkkinen in that he can play and contribute on the 4th line. Pulkkinen in that same spot is useless. I think this is why we will eventually see more of Jurco than Pulkkinen down the line, unless there is a trade.

I don't agree that he's getting close to "make or break" status. Abby toiled away on the bottom lines for years before he figured out his offensive game. It takes awhile. I think that Jurco is fine where he's at. He's only 22, so he's got plenty of time to grow. My only point is that he needs to produce if he wants a spot. And while it's hard to produce on the fourth line, it's not impossible. If he's as offensively gifted as I think he is, and he thinks he is, then he's got to make it happen.

Right now there's a huge opportunity for a big winger to land a spot on the top 9. Nyquist is playing bad, and no matter what they do with him, it leaves two small guys playing together (which isn't working out). If we don't get some depth scoring, one of our skill guys is going to see the bench soon, and Jurco could be well positioned to take that spot if he's making things happen on the fourth line in the mean time.

We've only played 2 games.

I realize that Jurco on the 4th line isn't ideal, but I'm very wary about using it as too much of a crutch either. Last year Stephen Weiss scored 25 points in 52 games on the fourth line. Kindl scored 13 points in 35 games with almost no ice time. Glendening had 12 goals from the fourth line.

He's got to get on the board. If he does that, he'll get an everyday spot. And if he has an everyday spot, the next time the lines need juggled, he might well end up with a little more icetime.

But he has to produce despite the limitations in playing time. It's not impossible, it's just hard. But we've seen it happen before.

Last yr, Jurco literally had mmore posts tthan goals. He'll get there.

I realize that Jurco on the 4th line isn't ideal, but I'm very wary about using it as too much of a crutch either. Last year Stephen Weiss scored 25 points in 52 games on the fourth line. Kindl scored 13 points in 35 games with almost no ice time. Glendening had 12 goals from the fourth line.

He's got to get on the board. If he does that, he'll get an everyday spot. And if he has an everyday spot, the next time the lines need juggled, he might well end up with a little more icetime.

But he has to produce despite the limitations in playing time. It's not impossible, it's just hard. But we've seen it happen before.

Ahh yes, the old "give me ice time and I'll produce" vs "produce and I'll give you ice time." A classic, really. I feel like we've had a similar argument with krsmith about one Brendan Smith in the past. Also, I agree with you. He needs to make things happen out there when he's out there.

I just want to see 22 year old developing instead of 35 year olds declining. Jurco and Athanasiou bring more to the table than Franzen and Richards, imo.

I think you've made your 'younger automatically equals better and more exciting' opinion abundantly clear.

And I'd reiterate that after two games there's no need for things to "get ugly" as Rick had mentioned. However, if you have no depth scoring after 2 games, you should do something about it, as Blash seems to be thinking. If the problem continues, we might see a change in which guys get scratched.

Last yr, Jurco literally had mmore posts tthan goals. He'll get there.

I agree. I don't think he's a bad player. My whole point is that with our current depth, he's not going to break into the lineup in a scorers role. He'll get his opportunity on the 4th, and it's up to him to produce a little in that role (which isn't impossible). Then work his way up. I definitely think he can do it, but that's the way it's going to have to happen because we're too deep for him to take the position "I can't produce if I'm not in a scoring role". He better, otherwise it may be a LONG time before he gets an opportunity.

So fourth line of Jurco, Glendening, and Miller? As far as fourth lines go, that one has some offensive potential.

Helm Glendenning Jurco

Roll four defensively responsible scoring lines.

We were the first team to have a useful fourth line. Helped turn the top 6 into the top 9, let's top 12 it.

We have the depth to do it.

The worst defensive line would be the one Richards is centering.

Helm Glendenning Jurco

Roll four defensively responsible scoring lines.

We were the first team to have a useful fourth line. Helped turn the top 6 into the top 9, let's top 12 it.

We have the depth to do it.

The worst defensive line would be the one Richards is centering.

Im in 100% agreement with you.

Those players you mention are in decline, but they are still damn good. Franzen and Richards - just blaugh. I hope they prove me wrong, but they have just looked blaugh so far.

Problem with having too many 22 year olds is you turn into the Edmonton Oilers. Lack of experience and tons of losses.

Veterans add more to the picture than just scoring. They bring leadership, motivation and experiences. It's good to have a balance of veterans and youngsters. Sometimes the younginzz need guys like Z, Kronner, D, Richards, Franzen to fall back on when they hit a bump on the road. Those guys have literally seen it ALL.

Hockey is a mental sport just as much as it's a physical one. 82 games is really really tough.

Edited by kickazz

I just want to see 22 year old developing instead of 35 year olds declining. Jurco and Athanasiou bring more to the table than Franzen and Richards, imo.

See there is this thing called balance. The right blend of youth and veterans. You have the wise veterans in the lineup, and the kids who play with and learn from them day in and day out. Else you get the Edmonton Oilers.

I get it. I dont want to see every veteran we have bumped. We have some good veterans. If you are watching the games, can u honestly tell me you'd send Dylan Larkin to GR so you wouldnt have to waive Drew Miller? I would play Jurco, Ferraro, Athanasiou, Nosek, and Mantha all ahead of Drew Miller and have ZERO issues with him getting picked up off waivers if he didnt clear.