• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

I think this might be finally it for the Mule, Sadly

Rate this topic

Have you been paying attention to concussions for the past 10 years?

He missed 1/3 of last season from symptoms (from a tap to the chin) and complained of symptoms all off season

Came back for 2 games (with seemingly minimal contact) and hes out again. It does NOT look good for mule.

Did you pay attention when Franzen said retirement was something he wasn't considering?

So because his symptoms are back and he's being placed on IR as a precaution, he's absolutely donzo? Please, he will sit until his symptoms are gone again, and then he will play. I remember when Crosby was going through this same thing.

People are acting like he got rocked with concussion #1000 or something lol that's not the case

I think it was last year or the year before, Don Cherry had an interesting piece on the shoulder and elbow pads used in the NHL nowadays. He showed some of the pads from 15 or so years ago and today's pads He discussed the size and the hard caps, and the size and coverage areas of these caps.

He said back in the day if you went full run at another player and missed and went into the boards or glass you could mess up your own shoulders or elbows, or hitting the player might mess you up too.

With the huge, hard caps on the pads, plus the size of the gear itself, his reasoning was it is directly contributing to concussions and the willingness of players to take shots on other guys they might not if their equipment was reduced in size and the hard caps made smaller. Some of the shoulder pads looked like friggin' lineman's pads from the NFL! And the caps were huge on them! The elbow pads examples he had were oversized as well.

With the combined size, speed, and strength of today's players, the NHL needs to continue to buckle down on head contact and hits into or near the boards, and maybe get a little more aggressive on the suspensions/fines. I don't think fighting has as big a role in concussions as hits do, and fighting is a choice, getting blindsided or run into the boards/glass isn't. Hockey is a hard, tough, dangerous sport, and injuries are going to happen, but if long term injuries like concussions and such could be reduced then by all means they should.

p.s. get rid of the "mirror test" you dumb-asses, your hockey players not underwear models! Pressure the manufactures into producing better helmets, in terms of concussion prevention, without jacking the price up 10,000%!

This is/was always the concern. That many concussions is never a good thing. The scary thought is what would have happened if he gets another one..... I hope he is smart enough to see that risking his life for hockey is not worth it. He and his family shoulkd be set for life, so go home and enjoy it with your family.

Agree. Sad but he should. Especially with concussions messing up your quality of life possibly moving forward. Take that cheese and Cup win and roll into the sunset

I would rather Franzen stay off then end up with something worse shape then he is now. The smartest thing anyone could do is not let him get back on the ice period. After all the issues he has

had functioning daily and having to sit out from his kids. Just a bad move if anyone lets him continue on as a player in the NHL. I hope he can fill an office job or be a key person to the organization of the Detroit Red Wings and contribute that way. It's sad he won't be around anymore but man we had some amazing years with him and got to see the Mule be a key player.

He just played two full hockey games at the professional level and looked very good in both so I'm not too concerned about his functionality for the time being, he'll be ok. I'm glad he's being sat as precaution right now though. Also, if anyone followed his instagram this summer he seemed to do a lot of playing with his kids.

Franzen also said in an interview that if he gets his symptons back, he feels that could be a career for him. Precautionary is good though. Like I said, he actually looked like he belonged out there, he definitely did not hurt the team, he wasn't floating and had some good scoring chances. BUT if his symptoms come back from just over exertion, can you imagine what will happen if he gets rocked one night? He is a smart person, he will stay away until he feels the same as he did at the end of summer, for his sake, lets hope it doesn't take another 6 months, or he could very well, be done.

on a side note, I am sure glad I didn't start or name this thread! :lol: I'd be getting destroyed right now! (rightly so, I might add! I would deserve it!)

He just played two full hockey games at the professional level and looked very good in both so I'm not too concerned about his functionality for the time being, he'll be ok. I'm glad he's being sat as precaution right now though. Also, if anyone followed his instagram this summer he seemed to do a lot of playing with his kids.

He played 2 games and is having issues again...You can't forget that either. Just hope they go away. He was looking pretty good.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

jfranzen - He ain't dead, wear that jersey with pride! Johan gave his all to this team when he could, he was probably 3rd runner up to the Smythe Trophy in 08 and tried his best thus far this season. He may make it back, but he will stay away until he knows its right. He probably rushed it a bit this time, considering that doctors had said he wasn't 100% good, but could give it a go. Next time I bet he waits for docs to give him the 100% A OK to go, if that comes, then cool, it helps the team, if that day never comes, then fine, that also helps the team and saves him from worsening his head issues...

Edited by LeftWinger

Did you pay attention when Franzen said retirement was something he wasn't considering?

So because his symptoms are back and he's being placed on IR as a precaution, he's absolutely donzo? Please, he will sit until his symptoms are gone again, and then he will play. I remember when Crosby was going through this same thing.

People are acting like he got rocked with concussion #1000 or something lol that's not the case

I didn't say he was for sure done but it doesn't look good. Franzen has been very stubborn throughout this whole concussion ordeal. The thing with these head injuries is its totally on the person who's having them to call the shots, theres no way of a doctor telling if he can or can't play because theres only "symptoms"

If he just sat out (8 months?) and comes back for 2 games and doesn't even get hit and hes facing symptoms again, what's going to happen when he actually gets hit in the fastest game in the world?

Pronger's and Savard's symptoms never went away and it doesn't seem like Mule's will either. These things just tend to get worse...

He played 2 games and is having issues again...You can't forget that either. Just hope they go away. He was looking pretty good.

I didn't say he was for sure done but it doesn't look good. Franzen has been very stubborn throughout this whole concussion ordeal. The thing with these head injuries is its totally on the person who's having them to call the shots, theres no way of a doctor telling if he can or can't play because theres only "symptoms"

If he just sat out (8 months?) and comes back for 2 games and doesn't even get hit and hes facing symptoms again, what's going to happen when he actually gets hit in the fastest game in the world?

Pronger's and Savard's symptoms never went away and it doesn't seem like Mule's will either. These things just tend to get worse...

First it was "He'll never play again"

Then it was "Maybe if we're lucky we'll get him back in November or December"

Instead, he managed to play opening night, and looked solid to boot.

Even with his symptoms coming back after two games, he's still way farther ahead in his recovery than 90% of this forum predicted.

Do we remember when Crosby was having issues? These symptoms can linger for a while. And I'm not all too surprised they did considering the way Franzen was pushing himself to be ready for the home opener. Maybe he should have played it safe and waited till November.

He's not out cause he got hurt again, he's out as a precaution so that he doesn't get hurt again. His career is very much alive still.

I think it was last year or the year before, Don Cherry had an interesting piece on the shoulder and elbow pads used in the NHL nowadays. He showed some of the pads from 15 or so years ago and today's pads He discussed the size and the hard caps, and the size and coverage areas of these caps.

He said back in the day if you went full run at another player and missed and went into the boards or glass you could mess up your own shoulders or elbows, or hitting the player might mess you up too.

With the huge, hard caps on the pads, plus the size of the gear itself, his reasoning was it is directly contributing to concussions and the willingness of players to take shots on other guys they might not if their equipment was reduced in size and the hard caps made smaller. Some of the shoulder pads looked like friggin' lineman's pads from the NFL! And the caps were huge on them! The elbow pads examples he had were oversized as well.

With the combined size, speed, and strength of today's players, the NHL needs to continue to buckle down on head contact and hits into or near the boards, and maybe get a little more aggressive on the suspensions/fines. I don't think fighting has as big a role in concussions as hits do, and fighting is a choice, getting blindsided or run into the boards/glass isn't. Hockey is a hard, tough, dangerous sport, and injuries are going to happen, but if long term injuries like concussions and such could be reduced then by all means they should.

p.s. get rid of the "mirror test" you dumb-asses, your hockey players not underwear models! Pressure the manufactures into producing better helmets, in terms of concussion prevention, without jacking the price up 10,000%!

The only reason why I would say fighting doesn't have as big a role in concussions as hits do is because fighting is generally down in the NHL, thus the opportunity to develop a concussion via a punch to the head is less frequet than it used to be (although I still think it would be interesting to look at the actual numbers). But any force to the head that results in a sudden acceleration/deceleration can result in a concussion regardless of the source, and because the whole theme of fighting is repeated punches to the head, its a very high risk activity for developing concussions. I'm not sure if you were implying something else, but I did want to comment regardless.

The prognosis looks terrible.

First it was big hits and he would be out weeks.

Then it was big hits and he would be out month or two

Then it was minor hit and he was out for half a year.

Now he plays two games - no major impact and he's out on IR. (short term it seems like)

Am I the only one noticing this trend??

Supposedly earlier last month he mentioned that the doctors said his situation won't get worse than it is (physically)

Don't see how he was doing anything but giving his opinion. Calling someone like a 5 year old is the only thing off in this discussion. It's unfortunate that Franzen discussions always go this way. We even did better with the rape discussion, haha.

Anyway, we don't know what this means besides the fact that he's only on IR not LTIR. We'll see if it's just a precautionary short term thing on the path of him coming back or maybe he was concussed again or whatever.

Oh you would have to know the history.

I really feel bad for him, I was actually excited to see how he does this season, I was optimistic. He seemed really energized to play in the few games he was in. He shouldn't play again until he goes a few months without symptoms instead of just a couple weeks.