• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BottleOfSmoke

10/17 GDT: Detroit Red Wings @ Montreal Canadiens, 7:00 EST

Rate this topic

Yay Smith is out! Lets go Wings! If we win tonight a 4-1 record looks pretty sweet in my books.

80%chance that the Canadians win tonight. They have a favourable schedule... Played two days ago at home and are playing Detroit at home still whereas Detroit are playing the second game of a back to back. Not too good for our Wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you're just pulling that number out of your ass

Hopefully the Wings are a little more responsible when breaking out of their own zone tonight. Turnovers at the blueline/neutral zone are going to happen, but its not acceptable when its our last guy back who loses the puck. Unfortunately that happened three or four times yesterday, all resulting in quality scoring chances against us, and at least one goal.

Nice to see Larkin still in and Ferraro/Jurco being scratched over him even with seniority

Also, Smith being scratched this early is huge!!! I love that Blash is willing to bench "prospects" for playing horrible

side note: Anyone else not see Ferarro sticking around very long? He's looked okay but nothing overly special aside from a potential miller replacement. Not too sure where he fits in the future. After seeing how tight abby miller and glendenning have become I think Miller will be around until he retires

Nice to see Larkin still in and Ferraro/Jurco being scratched over him even with seniority

Also, Smith being scratched this early is huge!!! I love that Blash is willing to bench "prospects" for playing horrible

side note: Anyone else not see Ferarro sticking around very long? He's looked okay but nothing overly special aside from a potential miller replacement. Not too sure where he fits in the future. After seeing how tight abby miller and glendenning have become I think Miller will be around until he retires

Miller is an extremely underrated player on this team.

Larkin is in a different league than any other prospect coming up in the last decade. He will not be scratched anytime soon. He would probably be sent down before being a healthy scratch.

I like Ferraro, love his hustle, shot blocking and speed. He also has a tendancy to be in the right spot in front of the opposition net, although he tends to shoot high and wide. Give him some time and he will make Miller expendable and perhaps score 10 a season.

What is going on with your Ducks?

https://i.imgur.com/q3O8A.gif

Getz is lazy and he sucks tho he did look good last night... and we can't buy a goal right now. Maybe everyone already giving them the stanley cup before the season started got to their head? Who knows....

Edited by Duck Guy

NHL.com preview:

A 5-3 home loss to the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday made the Detroit Red Wings the second-to-last Eastern Conference team to lose this season.

The Red Wings have an opportunity to knock off the last team Saturday.

The Montreal Canadiens are off to their first 5-0-0 start and will try to extend that team record against the Red Wings at Bell Centre (7 p.m. ET: NHLN, CBC, TVA Sports, FS-D).

After Montreal started the season with wins at the Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins and Ottawa Senators, all games it was favored to win, the streak was extended with a 3-2 win at the Pittsburgh Penguins and a 3-0 win against the New York Rangers in the Canadiens' home opener Thursday.

"It's early in the season but we've played a lot of good teams," Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said Friday. "We had Pittsburgh, then last night we had the Rangers, and now it doesn't stop because we've got Detroit tomorrow night."

The teams are off to excellent starts and can use this game as an early measuring stick for where they stand.

"They've had a good team for a while," Canadiens captain Max Pacioretty said. "I think they're very similar to what we're trying to do here, keep the same structure in place and same core group of guys. That's why they've had success making the playoffs for so many years; they believe in that group and that's what we're trying to accomplish here.

"It's a good role model for what we're trying to do, and they're playing some of their best hockey right now."

The Red Wings are adjusting to coach Jeff Blashill after 10 seasons under Mike Babcock and have yet to play a game with center Pavel Datsyuk, who is recovering from ankle surgery, center Darren Helm(concussion) and defenseman Danny DeKeyser (foot). Helm and DeKeyser will make their season debuts Saturday. In spite of those obstacles, the Red Wings are one of the top offensive teams in the NHL, scoring at least three goals in each of their four games and averaging 3.5 goals per game.

The Canadiens also have scored at least three goals in each of their games, though they reached that mark twice with an empty-net goal. They have a balanced, three-line attack with a mobile defense that can move the puck.

"Their foundation is pretty similar [to ours]," Therrien said. "[They're] a good team with a lot of speed and a lot of skill. They're not easy to play against, they can be creative offensively, and you can't forget that their bread and butter is to play well defensively."

The Red Wings have been able to withstand the absence of Datsyuk thanks to rookie Dylan Larkin, who extended his season-opening point streak to four games Friday. The Waterford, Mich., native played one season at the University of Michigan. Pacioretty also played his college hockey there and said he is eager to see Larkin play as a pro for the first time.

"I've heard about him second hand," Pacioretty said, "and I've heard he's unbelievable."

The Canadiens are a confident group and have maintained their focus on how they play and not what their opponents are trying to do.

"It's been five games, I'm not trying to make too much out of this," Montreal center Tomas Plekanec said. "But we're a good group and hopefully we keep it going."

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Not a fan of seeing Anderson in over Jurco, and Glendenning on the 3rd. Between Kindl and Smith, I would've rather Kindl sat, but neither has looked spectacular so I'll live.

Jurco has been bad so I think its more of a message. He needs to be better.

I agree, Glendenning should never sniff anything but the 4th line. Love the guy but hes perfect for that role

Games like last nights are probably the growing pains when you have a lot of young players on the team. Some (younger) players take the opponent too lightly and you lose against bottom feeders like the Hurricanes in todays NHL. Won't happen tonight, I predict great effort tonight from the players.

Games like last nights are probably the growing pains when you have a lot of young players on the team. Some (younger) players take the opponent too lightly and you lose against bottom feeders like the Hurricanes in todays NHL. Won't happen tonight, I predict great effort tonight from the players.

I've been watching every wings game since the lockout, we've ALWAYS played bad against bad teams and play good against better teams haha. We really do have a "switch", you saw it lastnight as well in CAR but it was too late.

I fully expect a W tonight

Me too, and you're right, we always did. But the "switch" wasn't as powerful as last night during the second half of the second period. in past years I genuinely think the Wings just weren't able to play much better, due to system and some holes in the lineup. We weren't that strong but also not that young the past seasons, so I think a lot of our loss has something to do with the age and experience of some of our players.

Okay, the game against the Hurricanes didn't go as well as I had hoped, and this one will likely be even tougher against Price and the Habs, but it'd be awesome to see if Mrazek can step up and rise to the occasion. That said, I hope we start seeing all the other guys not named Zetterberg, Abdelkader, Larkin, and Nyquist (at least of late) step it up as well. Here's to a good Saturday game!

Red Wings 3 (Zetterberg, Richards, Tatar)

Canadiens 2

:siren: Let's Go Red Wings!!! :siren:

Jurco has been bad so I think its more of a message. He needs to be better.

I agree, Glendenning should never sniff anything but the 4th line. Love the guy but hes perfect for that role

I agree that he needs to be better, but I don't think he's had a negative impact either. His potential upside is why I'd have him in over someone like Anderson, who brings virtually nothing. Though maybe you're right that it's a message being sent and is hopefully good for him.