• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Mike Green out 2-3 weeks

Rate this topic

What are the chances McKee ever makes it to our big club? I haven't seen him in years. If he could take a forth line role, i would be so stoked, that guys a bad mother. I wish we had more big bodies.

Realistically?

Probably less than 1%.

And we actually have a lot of big bodies here and coming up, Julius vähätalo is like 6'7 and is pretty damn skilled, and said he wants to come over to n.a. after next season.

Not mention mantha, bertuzzi, aa, nosek, Sproul, all of these guys are over 6'1.

Were gradually getting bigger, but I think the days of a big body for the sake of big body things is over for good now.

If you can't pk, defend, or at least provide good forchecking 10+ minutes a night then you're not gonna be here.

Especially on the red wings.

Not taking away from your point, but I dont even think Johnson was drafted. I think Stevie signed him as a UFA similar to the way we signed DD.

Yes he was undrafted, not taking away from the point at all, That's why I said we could have had him over someone like mckee, because we could had drafted him in the 7th round of either of his draft eligible years over one of our big bodied late round flyer picks. I used McKee as an example because I didn't wanna look up the years Johnson went undrafted, and who we drafted and in what round.

We used to always take the small skilled guy over the bigger less skilled guy, when everyone else for the most part was doing the opposite. Now there's an over abundance of skill in the league and were getting bigger, getting away from what we had so much success with because the trend looked like it was going that way.

Honestly though, with the draft now everyone has a plethora of scouts, so finding the players we used to isnt going to happen. And theres so many other resources out there that drafting is seemingly becoming much more efficient.(there's stats and numbers to back this up, but I'm not going to try to find that black hole this early) every team is getting better and better at it as it becomes more specialized. And teams aren't necessarily drafting b.p.a anymore because they're trying to build into a model of the team they want.

This kind of went off an a tangent, but I don't think having any type of enforcer or more grit is going to make this team more successful or slow our injuries. Abby is an amazingly physical player, so is quite a few of our d men, but the red wings don't play the game with wreckless abandon, so even if we had a carbon copy of mccarty or drake, we wouldnt be using them the way they were before or theyd be getting suspended/penalized A LOT, and then wouldn't be in the lineup because the penalties would hurt the team more.

Its just not how it is anymore.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Realistically?

Probably less than 1%.

And we actually have a lot of big bodies here and coming up, Julius vähätalo is like 6'7 and is pretty damn skilled, and said he wants to come over to n.a. after next season.

Not mention mantha, bertuzzi, aa, nosek, Sproul, all of these guys are over 6'1.

Were gradually getting bigger, but I think the days of a big body for the sake of big body things is over for good now.

If you can't pk, defend, or at least provide good forchecking 10+ minutes a night then you're not gonna be here.

Especially on the red wings.

Yes he was undrafted, not taking away from the point at all, That's why I said we could have had him over someone like mckee, because we could had drafted him in the 7th round of either of his draft eligible years over one of our big bodied late round flyer picks. I used McKee as an example because I didn't wanna look up the years Johnson went undrafted, and who we drafted and in what round.

We used to always take the small skilled guy over the bigger less skilled guy, when everyone else for the most part was doing the opposite. Now there's an over abundance of skill in the league and were getting bigger, getting away from what we had so much success with because the trend looked like it was going that way.

Honestly though, with the draft now everyone has a plethora of scouts, so finding the players we used to isnt going to happen. And theres so many other resources out there that drafting is seemingly becoming much more efficient.(there's stats and numbers to back this up, but I'm not going to try to find that black hole this early) every team is getting better and better at it as it becomes more specialized. And teams aren't necessarily drafting b.p.a anymore because they're trying to build into a model of the team they want.

This kind of went off an a tangent, but I don't think having any type of enforcer or more grit is going to make this team more successful or slow our injuries. Abby is an amazingly physical player, so is quite a few of our d men, but the red wings don't play the game with wreckless abandon, so even if we had a carbon copy of mccarty or drake, we wouldnt be using them the way they were before or theyd be getting suspended/penalized A LOT, and then wouldn't be in the lineup because the penalties would hurt the team more.

Its just not how it is anymore.

Johnson was born in 1990, McKee was born in 1993, which means McKee was drafted after Johnson's two eligible years. I get the point you're trying to make though

Johnson was born in 1990, McKee was born in 1993, which means McKee was drafted after Johnson's two eligible years. I get the point you're trying to make though

Ha.

but McKee was drafted in 2012, And Johnson went undrafted in 2011, I don't remember if he was signed after the first time tj was in the draft, if 2012 would've been his re-entry or if 2011 was his re-entry into the draft.

so then Instead of mckee it wouldve been Richard nedomlel or Matias backman.

Hindsight is 20/20 I know, and I'm not saying that we would have drafted him, just that we used to go for skill over size. Now they're willing to give a bit on the skill for the upgrade in size. **

I'm just wondering if that is or wil be coming back to bite us since they're getting away from what made the team successful for so many years.

**(there's exceptions to this, sure, for some reason saarijärvi is the only one to come to mind.)

edit:the draft cut off date obscured the two year gap in birth years.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

They showed Green skating today. Who is out when he returns. I think Smith and Keonwall look good together, and Ericsson-Marchenko doesnt seem to be chasing too much. DeKeyser-Kindl seems to be our most stressed pairing, so I think Green replaces Kindl and Quincey replaces Marchenko upon their respective returns.

...but Ericsson has been paired with DeKeyser. Which has been surprisingly decent?!?

Pairings for the last two games have been:

Kronner - Smith

Dekeyser - Ericsson

Kindl - Marchenko

That top pairing hasn't been giving me as many fits as I thought it might, but I think Green needs to slot back in next to Kronwall.

Ericsson can stay with Dekeyser for the time being. Leaving us with Marchenko, Kindl, and Smith on that third pairing...

Which could plop us right back into scary pairing territory.

OR

Kronner - Smith

Dekeyser - Green

Ericsson - Marchenko

Kindl

Edited by e_prime

I think DK has been really bad with the puck. He's the only guy launching waist high passes consistently. Hopefully he can get it together but as of right now I would keep giving Smith the larger role. He looked great last night but consistency has always been his problem

We havent won without the Drakes, Kocurs, McCartys yet. Might want to consider having one guy who can really bang.

We haven't won without Lidstrom, Holmstrom, and Draper yet either. And those guys didn't intimidate anyone. It's a little short sighted to pretend that Dallas Drake, or Joey Kocur played more of a role on those winning teams than some other, non-fighters, did.

We haven't won without Lidstrom, Holmstrom, and Draper yet either. And those guys didn't intimidate anyone. It's a little short sighted to pretend that Dallas Drake, or Joey Kocur played more of a role on those winning teams than some other, non-fighters, did.

You just don't like those types of players that's all.

Wrong, I just don't fetishize guys who's only job is to take penalties. It's retarded. I've repeatedly said we need big, tough, guys, like Drew Stafford or Troy Brouwer, to be as good as our team can be. I'm all for toughness, as long as the guys can contribute on the score sheet as well. But people like you always ignore that and pretend like I don't like tough players. Which is a crock. Stop distorting what I say to fit your narrative and you might find out what kind of players I actually do think we need.

Edited by kipwinger