• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kickazz

All purpose Mike Babcock thread

Rate this topic

I would be so pissed if i was a leafs fan and the coach getting paid 6 mil a year says "its going to take time". Thats such an out by Babcock. If he's so good, why is it going to take time? He's supposed to fix it fast. Not turn Toronto into a development project. Lame. "Toronto has given me an opportunity to make an immediate impact, and thats what I plan on doing. This team is gonna be a winner now. Not in 5 years. Now." If he would have said that and followed thru, then I would have to believe the Babcock hype. But he's just confirming my belief - great all star team coach. BFD.

Dude, look at his team. Look at what they have coming up soon. The guy is not a miracle worker and his message from the start was "its going to take time". It's not like he lied saying his presence somehow magically will translate into instant success. Your suggestion that he is somehow supposed to "fix it fast: is like asking the best mechanic in the world to fix your broken down mustang with no parts and a plunger... that is lame!

What ever... I said nothing specific to you. It's a Babcock thread (I didn't start it). He is my favourite coach so I joined in the conversation. Something that is apparently obsessive... ce la vie!

Guys, RELAX!!!!

Take a breather for a bit. It's all good. It's Friday. Vlad is just trying to keep it civil. That's all.

Secret, how long have you been a hockey fan? Im curious as to why babcock is your favorite. Especially over Bowman. Tell me.

Guys, RELAX!!!!

Take a breather for a bit. It's all good. It's Friday. Vlad is just trying to keep it civil. That's all.

Secret, how long have you been a hockey fan? Im curious as to why babcock is your favorite. Especially over Bowman. Tell me.

I'm a 40 year old man and have been a wings fan for as far and I can remember. Read my posts throughout this thread to know why Babcock is my fave. Babs has alot of coaching left in him and may have even been able to surpass Bowman had he chosen not to be the mechanic fixnig a broken Mustang with no parts and a plunger!

Dude, look at his team. Look at what they have coming up soon. The guy is not a miracle worker and his message from the start was "its going to take time". It's not like he lied saying his presence somehow magically will translate into instant success. Your suggestion that he is somehow supposed to "fix it fast: is like asking the best mechanic in the world to fix your broken down mustang with no parts and a plunger... that is lame!

Yah, but do you hire one of the top mechanics in the world to fix a broken down Mustang? Your analogy is getting at my point. Babcock was hired to WIN - that's what 6 mil a year and the highest paid coach in the league by double means. Not admit that he's going to lose indefinitely. Its an i year contract. How much time? 5 years? Like the Oilers? 4 years? Like the Panthers? How much time can Mike Babcock SUCK before people expect him to win? I think he took the easy way out with his "it's going to take time" b.s. Look at what Jim Harbough did. He came in and reestablished winning IMMEDIATELY. There's a coach, for you. Babcock has only shown that he can succeed with ALL-STAR teams. I'm not impressed by that. Sorry.

I'm a 40 year old man and have been a wings fan for as far and I can remember. Read my posts throughout this thread to know why Babcock is my fave. Babs has alot of coaching left in him and may have even been able to surpass Bowman had he chosen not to be the mechanic fixnig a broken Mustang with no parts and a plunger!

Right on. I just wanted to see how many coaches were in your pool to choose from. I only have yzerman era wings and on.

Yah, but do you hire one of the top mechanics in the world to fix a broken down Mustang? Your analogy is getting at my point. Babcock was hired to WIN - that's what 6 mil a year and the highest paid coach in the league by double means. Not admit that he's going to lose indefinitely. Its an i year contract. How much time? 5 years? Like the Oilers? 4 years? Like the Panthers? How much time can Mike Babcock SUCK before people expect him to win? I think he took the easy way out with his "it's going to take time" b.s. Look at what Jim Harbough did. He came in and reestablished winning IMMEDIATELY. There's a coach, for you. Babcock has only shown that he can succeed with ALL-STAR teams. I'm not impressed by that. Sorry.

Right on. I just wanted to see how many coaches were in your pool to choose from. I only have yzerman era wings and on.

Babcock wasn't hired with the expectation that they'd win now.. he was hired to turn their franchise around. That's going to take time with how awful they've been. He was just being realistic, not taking the easy way out imo.

Also, I'm pretty sure Harbaugh was saying similar "it's going to take time" things in his first pressers. He's certainly exceeded expectations.

Here's a question: Babcock is great because of his winning in Detroit, but why isn't Osgood "great" then? They both were fortunate to have the Red Wings playing in front of them, so why is it that Babcock gets the credit and Osgood gets the average label?

Bottom line is, this franchise makes them great. Credit Jimmy D, Ken Holland and Mr. I. Without Osgood, Babcock still doesn't have a Cup. So Babs is the genius who put Ozzie in instead of Hasek? I think Osgood along with others won Babcock that Cup, not that Babcock coached them to the Cup. Babcock was a good coach, did a good job here, but to give him all the credit for coaching this team to its success is a farce. He misused players all the time, benched players for personal reason's and refused to allow the influx of youth until injuries forced him to do so. Remember this is the guy who delegated Modano, Weiss and Legwand to 4th line minutes. He chose to play Samuelsson, Cleary and Bertuzzi over more deserving Sheahan, Tatar and Jurco or Nyquist. He misused Tootoo and Commodore even though they came in and did what they were signed to do each time they got a chance to play.

I don't see the allure of Babcock. I appreciate his time and respect his knowledge, but when more than one player in the NHL says he won't play for Detroit because of him, something is wrong. A lot of players hated Bowman, but rarely no one ever gave up a chance to play for him.

That being said, I honestly don't understand why everyone is so all-consumed with Babcock. He was here, now he's not. I wish him no ill will whatsoever and would be pleased to see Toronto do well (but not too well), but I have moved on. We shouldn't be giving Babs a second thought unless and until we meet in the playoffs, or maybe when Olympic hockey is gearing up. Or is it just me?

It's because Babcock is like that ex-girlfriend or boyfriend that you pretend to not care about but secretly keep up with/stalk to see if their life is better without you - all the while hoping their life sucks.

Edited by kickazz

Babs was a good coach who I think lost the room to an extent at the end of his stay. I don't think he is the be all, end all of coaching, but I am appreciative of what he did in Detroit, even if I don't agree with it all (like many others on the board).

Agreed about the inglorious babcocks GDT. Gordon is extremely talented.

Speaking of photoshops, someone should combine the welcome to the maple leafs Mike Babcock press shot with the juck f**king pott! pic from a couple of seasons ago.

Just rewatched the clip.. Am I the only one that feels bad for Feds there? Like Babs looks RIGHT AT HIM and turns his head and Sergei pauses for a second thinking there might be a greeting and continues to stare.

I don't know the story or if there's much to really read into.. but just made me a bit.. Sad.

Edited by kickazz

Babs was a good coach who I think lost the room to an extent at the end of his stay. I don't think he is the be all, end all of coaching, but I am appreciative of what he did in Detroit, even if I don't agree with it all (like many others on the board).

Agreed about the inglorious babcocks GDT. Gordon is extremely talented.

Speaking of photoshops, someone should combine the welcome to the maple leafs Mike Babcock press shot with the juck f**king pott! pic from a couple of seasons ago.

Well he has been here for 10 years (a decade!) so at that point I'd expect every coach to lose the room (it will happen to Quenville too), heck it happened to Scotty Bowman and that guy is obviously in the running for the best coach ever.

To me it's real simple Babs has won at every level, guys in the know are calling him first and then build the team around him. I mean looking at th all-star coaching team Canada is going to ice for that stupid worldcup is insane...Babs, Quennville, Julien

I'm appreciate of everything Babs has done for this team and during the last years he pretty much showed that he can even coach average teams to be way better than they should be (on paper at least).

Yes I think he is the best coach in hockey but that doesn't mean that others aren't good coaches too...Q, Suter, Hitchcock, Tippet, Trotz are all knowledgable guys and obviously very good too.

It's a big adjustment for Babs, in Detroit he was always trying to get the most out of a talented group. In Toronto he's trying to get the most out of the exact opposite. You can work your ass off every night but if you don't have much talent you won't win alot of nights. There were so many nights when he was the coach that we would play like garbage for 40 mins and then in the 3rd crank it up and get a win. He can't get that in Toronto. My favorite thing about how this has played out is that they can't beat us. Like a knife in the back.

Just rewatched the clip.. Am I the only one that feels bad for Feds there? Like Babs looks RIGHT AT HIM and turns his head and Sergei pauses for a second thinking there might be a greeting and continues to stare.

I don't know the story or if there's much to really read into.. but just made me a bit.. Sad.

Well, Fedorov's season in Anaheim was the one that ended Babcock's coaching position there since they missed the playoffs.

Babcock must have been soured on Feds from something during that year since he supposedly vetoed 91s return to the wings.

I think somewhere in those set of events, there's the suggestion of dislike. Fedorov is my all-time favourite so I might have to jump on the Babcock hate side of things here, haha.

I noticed this live during the pre-game and mentioned it in the GDT. It was a pianfully obvious dis on Feds. He congratualted the guy in front of him (Housley?) and then the guy behind him (Lidstrom?) and looked right past Feds. Sergei kind of stood there for a moment in that akward way like when you are in the mariage reception line of your wifes 3rd cousin and you barely know her and even less the groom and you just kind of look at them waiting to see if they make a move towards you and you just stand there with that look of, "hey, nice ceremony."

I am officially on the f*** Babcock team now, as a matter of fact he will no longer be mentioned by me, just referred to as our former coach.

That's ok, Feds had the better career. He also got to spend his twentys having sex with a teenage Kournikova, also was banging Tara Reid amongst other Hollywood beach babes and starlets. Feds was a rock star and our form coach is a cock star. #91 will go up in the rafter and Team Russia will destroy his Canadian team in the World Cup of Hockey.

I noticed this live during the pre-game and mentioned it in the GDT. It was a pianfully obvious dis on Feds. He congratualted the guy in front of him (Housley?) and then the guy behind him (Lidstrom?) and looked right past Feds. Sergei kind of stood there for a moment in that akward way like when you are in the mariage reception line of your wifes 3rd cousin and you barely know her and even less the groom and you just kind of look at them waiting to see if they make a move towards you and you just stand there with that look of, "hey, nice ceremony."

I am officially on the f*** Babcock team now, as a matter of fact he will no longer be mentioned by me, just referred to as our former coach.

That's ok, Feds had the better career. He also got to spend his twentys having sex with a teenage Kournikova, also was banging Tara Reid amongst other Hollywood beach babes and starlets. Feds was a rock star and our form coach is a cock star. #91 will go up in the rafter and Team Russia will destroy his Canadian team in the World Cup of Hockey.

Alright LW you've manage to make me laugh.

Good post.