• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Opie

Nice Lids Article on ESPN (I know)

Rate this topic

lol

"Teams planning to beat the Red Wings would enter a game with the sound strategy to dump the puck into Lidstrom's end in order to force him to turn and get the puck, creating an opportunity to wear him down physically.

It was almost impossible to execute because his hand-eye coordination was so good; he'd often block the dump-in attempt and start the attack the other way.

"He knocked everything down at the blue line," Blake said. "Guys would get so frustrated. They'd go to the other side because it was no use. They avoided him as much as possible and it set up the whole Detroit game.""

Good one on Fedorov too

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14054745/nhl-sergei-fedorov-had-impact-ends-ice

Fave quote

The Red Wings' defensive core was riddled with injuries one season, so Bowman decided to put Fedorov back on defense.

"He was the best defenseman in the league for a six-week period," Bowman said.

Follow-up on this: Lidström, Fedorov and the other HoF inductees will play a game on Sunday.

Question is, as Lidström is right now, could he play one game for the Red Wings, meaning be able to compete for one spot for one game against the other defensemen? What do you think?

I'll start. Yes, he would be able to play one game, based on his playstyle, and the fact that he's always in shape. He'd be hurt, not be able to walk for a few days afterwards, but with managed minutes, he'd be just fine for one game. Wouldn't hurt to give him a shot of a painkiller syringe Before the game though even if not hurting (yet).

I'd like to see Fedorov play one more game for us, just so he can officially play his last game at "home." Would've been nice if our former coach wasn't such an idiot when it came to Sergei, we could've possibly had him for that "one last season."

Nice words on Lidstrom, but can anyone, anywhere write a story that isn't "nice" when it comes to Nick? I find it offensive though that ESPN is sticking their damn dirty hands on him or anything to do with the NHL since they turned their back on them before. I know there are some "hockey guys" at heart that work there, but I just cannot stand ESPN/ABC's "entitlement" attitude just because they are so big in America and the world. I'd listen to a janitor from TSN before I would someone from ESPN. But that is my opinion...

Follow-up on this: Lidström, Fedorov and the other HoF inductees will play a game on Sunday.

Question is, as Lidström is right now, could he play one game for the Red Wings, meaning be able to compete for one spot for one game against the other defensemen? What do you think?

I'll start. Yes, he would be able to play one game, based on his playstyle, and the fact that he's always in shape. He'd be hurt, not be able to walk for a few days afterwards, but with managed minutes, he'd be just fine for one game. Wouldn't hurt to give him a shot of a painkiller syringe Before the game though even if not hurting (yet).

I thoroughly believe Lids could play tomorrow, his conditioning may not be what it was, but he is still in good shape (compared to a tub like me) and his game was never predicated on being the biggest, fastest, or most athletic, he always was the smartest guy on the ice.

And I love me some 19, but his body was shot when he walked away and could not play again, Lids on the other hand walk away before the game walk away from him.

Yzerman looked really bad at the Winter Classic. Hah.

He also mentioned that he hadn't stepped on ice with skates since his last game with the Wings in 2006.

Kind of amazing isn't it? He's a true Red Wing. Hung up the skates with us and that was the last time he was on ice in his life. And the only two times he returns to the ice is for the Red Wings (Winter Classic and Outdoor game coming up)

Looking forward to seeing him and the rest of the gang play.

It was a pleasure being a fan from the time Lids laced them up as a rookie until the day he played his last game. It's really cool to watch a whole career play out.