• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

amato

Abby Signs 7-year, 29.75 mil Extension

Rate this topic

and it appears to be a pretty sizable one..

hopefully he gets out of this slump soon.

According to beat reporter Ansar Khan, the Detroit Red Wings and forward Justin Abdelkader are closing in on a contract extension.

The deal is expected to be finalized within the next few weeks. It appears as though the contract will be worth more than $4 million annually and it will be longer than four years.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/11/05/report-wings-and-abdelkader-closing-in-on-extension/

That is the market-maybe below for a guy like him. In the end it will be 4-5 per year for 5 years with a option on it.

If we go back to the summer when talking about moves, I mentioned at that point in time I would move Helm+ to great either a true power forward or top 4 Dman. Point was while Helm is a good player that we all like, not sure we can resign him and Abby with both coming up on UFA and Abby going to get 4+ million per year. Can we afford to keep helm at 3.5 million +/-, which is his market rate? 8 million for the 2 of them and only 1 scores goals.

That is the market-maybe below for a guy like him. In the end it will be 4-5 per year for 5 years with a option on it.

If we go back to the summer when talking about moves, I mentioned at that point in time I would move Helm+ to great either a true power forward or top 4 Dman. Point was while Helm is a good player that we all like, not sure we can resign him and Abby with both coming up on UFA and Abby going to get 4+ million per year. Can we afford to keep helm at 3.5 million +/-, which is his market rate? 8 million for the 2 of them and only 1 scores goals.

Helm is a player we all like but he is looking more replaceable all the time. IMO players like Glendening and Ferraro are a cheaper option.

Helm is a player we all like but he is looking more replaceable all the time. IMO players like Glendening and Ferraro are a cheaper option.

I think it is because Helm reminds me so much of a young Draper that I am so hesitant to trade him. However, the youth in this system makes him replaceable, and as his expected salary climbs it also makes him more replaceable.

If he did all the things he does now, and ever found a way to have half the hands Abby does I would say he would be damn near impossible to get rid of.

But his speed has set him up so many times and then he gets off a poor/weak/meh shot and the rush was really for naught!

I love his grit and balls man (to quote Kevin Garnett), but there is a definitive cap for what I would want the Wings to pay for that.

Back to Topic, I think 4.5- 5 mil for 4 years is what it will take to sign Abby, a proven top line net front presence with some real nice hands is not going to be cheap.

He may not be Homer-esque, but he is the best the Wings have had since, IMO!

I love Helm but hes taken a step backwards physically. Its most likely due to the injuries but he used to be a wrecking ball out there.

I'd like him on the team but its true, we can't take him back at his next salary so he's gotta go. Would be nice to try and get a return for him

Edited by WingsallTheway

I mean, the guy does everything. He's defensively responsible, he's physical, he can play in the corners and in the crease, he can put up goals and assists, he can play on any line and be effective. Abby isn't an allstar in any capacity, but he's versatile and for one player he brings a lot to the table. 4M+ is fair for both sides.

The only thing to complain about, and rightfully so, is the skyrocketing salaries for average players. It seems you have the Elite ($8M-$10M) then the bottom ($2M or less) and then for some reason you have everyone else making $3M-$7M and most not really deservng it. I konw the market dictates it, but in no real world does Abby deserve the same amount of money as a Nyquist. Nyquist is a 50+ points per year scorer, I can never see Abby getting above 30 too many more times, if ever again, heck I even thought $4.75M was a bit much for Nyquist so soon, I was kind of hoping for a bit less for a couple of years, then the bigger money. If you ask me, $3.5M is the top of the heap for players like Abby, if not a bit less but no more. But, I digress because we are living in an NHL world that says KFQ and Erection are worth nearly $5M....that's my complaint, we've gone through 2 lockouts to get a reign on these contracts, but you sure cannot tell by looking at most of them.

Moves are going to have to be made! If Abby is projecting north of $4M, Danny D is projecting north of $4M, guarantee Mrazek gets at least $4M...that doesn't even include having to try and better our team via trade or UFA, or the players that are out of options next season. This is why you have to get rid of Erection, one of Smith/Kindl and don't even think about re-signing KFQ. Helm can be traded, Andersson can as well. These are UFA's that are redundant on this team and will waste cap space if re-signed. Hell, most of us knew Helm was tradable with the emergence of Glen and Sheahan. Speaking of Sheahan, he will get in the $2M's on his next deal too. We need to make this team better, and right now, we need to add by subtracting so we can do so. If we want to even sniff Byf, we need to clear tons of capspace, especially if we are going to overpay 30 point players.

Edited by LeftWinger

Abdelkader is a decent player, but nothing special except that he's the only really physical guy the Wings have with any amount of skill. Depending on how long and how much, this could either be a decent contract or terrible. If he gets close to $5 mil for 6 years, I'm going to be pissed. If it's 4 or 5 years at $4.25 mil a year, I'll be ok with it.

Pros:

He scored 44 points last year and showed he has the skill that made him a 2nd round pick.

He's the only Wings' forward who is big, plays like he's big, and has shown NHL level skill.

Cons

He has one year where he scored at a good rate, other than a 20 game stretch where he was hot the previous year.

He's approaching the age where physical players start to tail off.

Lots of guys could score 20+ goals playing as much as he does with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Abdelkader is a decent player, but nothing special except that he's the only really physical guy the Wings have with any amount of skill. Depending on how long and how much, this could either be a decent contract or terrible. If he gets close to $5 mil for 6 years, I'm going to be pissed. If it's 4 or 5 years at $4.25 mil a year, I'll be ok with it.

So an extra year and an extra 0.75M really makes or breaks this for you eh? You're really living in the margins on this one.

LW Dekeyser is going to get more than 4 million per. My best guess is somewhere in the 6 million range. He is much better than KFQ and Ericsson and they are close to 5 as you said. DD will be our next big money long term deal, as he should be.

The only thing to complain about, and rightfully so, is the skyrocketing salaries for average players. It seems you have the Elite ($8M-$10M) then the bottom ($2M or less) and then for some reason you have everyone else making $3M-$7M and most not really deservng it. I konw the market dictates it, but in no real world does Abby deserve the same amount of money as a Nyquist. Nyquist is a 50+ points per year scorer, I can never see Abby getting above 30 too many more times, if ever again, heck I even thought $4.75M was a bit much for Nyquist so soon, I was kind of hoping for a bit less for a couple of years, then the bigger money. If you ask me, $3.5M is the top of the heap for players like Abby, if not a bit less but no more. But, I digress because we are living in an NHL world that says KFQ and Erection are worth nearly $5M....that's my complaint, we've gone through 2 lockouts to get a reign on these contracts, but you sure cannot tell by looking at most of them.

Nyquist signed his deal as an RFA. Those deals are on a different scale than UFA deals. You can't really compare in my opinion.

Contracts will always go up, but revenue is going up as well so players salaries should go up or else the owners would be keeping a larger percent.

Moves are going to have to be made! If Abby is projecting north of $4M, Danny D is projecting north of $4M, guarantee Mrazek gets at least $4M...that doesn't even include having to try and better our team via trade or UFA, or the players that are out of options next season. This is why you have to get rid of Erection, one of Smith/Kindl and don't even think about re-signing KFQ. Helm can be traded, Andersson can as well. These are UFA's that are redundant on this team and will waste cap space if re-signed. Hell, most of us knew Helm was tradable with the emergence of Glen and Sheahan. Speaking of Sheahan, he will get in the $2M's on his next deal too. We need to make this team better, and right now, we need to add by subtracting so we can do so. If we want to even sniff Byf, we need to clear tons of capspace, especially if we are going to overpay 30 point players.

We're also losing Richard's 4 million cap hit, Quincey's 4.25 caphit, and possibly Franzen's 3.955 caphit if he stays on LTIR and doesn't return.

That, with the rising cap would surely make enough room for Mrazek, Abby and DK. I doubt Mrazek makes 4+, I'm guessing Helm at 2.75 and we're all fine.

LW Dekeyser is going to get more than 4 million per. My best guess is somewhere in the 6 million range. He is much better than KFQ and Ericsson and they are close to 5 as you said. DD will be our next big money long term deal, as he should be.

DK is still an RFA at the end of the year. He won't get his big 6+ payday until he's an UFA.

Everything under 5 is fine with me the guy has improved tremendously, is one of the way too few physical players on this team who also isn't shy of dropping the mits.

In terms of Danny D I think he will look for a Pietrangelo (obviously less aav) type of deal. Maybe something like ~ 6.5 x 7

Edited by frankgrimes

Everything under 5 is fine with me the guy has improved tremendously, is one of the way too few physical players on this team who also isn't shy of dropping the mits.

In terms of Danny D I think he will look for a Pietrangelo (obviously less aav) type of deal. Maybe something like ~ 6.5 x 7

I would go for max years-8 and try to keep the cap hit at 6 mill or less. DD's agent will of course have a say in this.......