• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NerveDamage

Athanasiou recalled by Red Wings

Rate this topic

I see Kopitar is being put on this ridiculous pedestal around here. First of all he's most likely far from being available and secondly we're a better team holding on to the pieces it would take to get him. We'll get like 3 or 4 prime years out of him anyways. He's a comparable to Z in the type of player he was in his prime and Z didn't win the cup every year and couldn't win without some solid support

Trading a guy like AA would be a terrible idea at this point in his career. Most teams wouldn't put much value in him until he's proven something. There's a lot of Mantha, Larkin and Mrazek hype. These are the guys teams want. We're better off waiting for these secondary prospects to develop with us because you're way off on their value around the league

Edited by joesuffP

I see Kopitar is being put on this ridiculous pedestal around here. First of all he's most likely far from being available and secondly we're a better team holding on to the pieces it would take to get him. We'll get like 3 or 4 prime years out of him anyways. He's a comparable to Z in the type of player he was in his prime and Z didn't win the cup every year and couldn't win without some solid support

Trading a guy like AA would be a terrible idea at this point in his career. Most teams wouldn't put much value in him until he's proven something. There's a lot of Mantha, Larkin and Mrazek hype. These are the guys teams want. We're better off waiting for these secondary prospects to develop with us because you're way off on their value around the league

I agree...sort of. Not 4 months ago LGW resoundingly supported the claim that "Toews is overrated" but many go apes*** for Kopitar, who is probably not as good defensively (but only marginally) and a little better offensively (but only marginally).

Both are elite level talents, but neither are the best centers of their generation. Yet only Kopitar gets recognized for being as good as he is.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think Toews is just undervalued. But that's another discussion.

Ouch that must of hurt, give the kid some slack

I was at the game against the Stars. He made plenty of mistakes. Which makes sense. He's a young rookie.

First and foremost, I'm a Red Wings fan so it didn't hurt, ha.

I'd take Kopitar over him in a heartbeat. That's the point. I'd give up some potential talent for proven talent if Kopitar would sign on the trade long term.

That's all bud.

I agree...sort of. Not 4 months ago LGW resoundingly supported the claim that "Toews is overrated" but many go apes*** for Kopitar, who is probably not as good defensively (but only marginally) and a little better offensively (but only marginally).

Both are elite level talents, but neither are the best centers of their generation. Yet only Kopitar gets recognized for being as good as he is.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think Toews is just undervalued. But that's another discussion.

Meh not really.

Toews is overrated by the media, NHL, Canada, and hockey fans who watch TSN and believe everything fed to them without watching a single game he actually plays. So far as they would rank him as the second best player in the world. Which isn't necessarily true.

No one here is saying that Kopitar is the 2nd best in the world. And unlike the Toews situation, no one here is saying Kopitar is better than Z was in his prime (as the poll for the thread was a few months ago for Toews vs Z). People here equate Kopitar to a "younger version of Zetterberg". I'd say Z had a higher ceiling as a former 40 goal scorer. But too many factors to look at and a discussion for another day maybe.

Personally I would love to have a "younger version of Z" around. But at the cost of our top scorer and prospects to only get rental? Not at all.

Maybe if he was guaranteed to resign.

Edited by kickazz

Toews is overrated. I would take Bergeron over him anyday along with Kopi.

I was at the game against the Stars. He made plenty of mistakes. Which makes sense. He's a young rookie.

First and foremost, I'm a Red Wings fan so it didn't hurt, ha.

I'd take Kopitar over him in a heartbeat. That's the point. I'd give up some potential talent for proven talent if Kopitar would sign on the trade long term.

That's all bud.

Think you missed the tongue and cheek about the topic, it is about AA not Kopitar, in no way or fashion am I comparing their skill level and achievements

Congrats to AA scoring his first NHL goal

Cool article I found from 2012 on AA

Says he is a leafs fan, but more a fan of players. Mention Datsyuk and Bure.

Also touches on his rrelationship with Hunter. Didn't sound negative, but then again I would not expect it to.

Interesting note, he was projected a top 10 pick then his stats fell off and like PVD above me stated he was traded and that's where he really took off.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13756/2012_prospects_andreas_athanasiou_hopes_to_speed_his_way_to_top_of_nhl_draft/

Anyone catch the comment by Ken last night where he said that AA (like OV) didn't get along with Dale Hunter? Does anyone know anything about that story - was it just a guess because he was traded from the London Knights? AA didn't really break out until he got with the Barrie Colts.

Yah, watch his prospect report on youtube. Fischer talks about him having disagreements with the coaching of the London Knights.

Kid needs to stay. Datsyuk is coming back, Franzen is still out, sit Andersson for AA. When Richards comes back, we have a decision to make, that is for sure.

I have a feeling though that AA will be sent down and be back and forth all year. Once Dats and Richards is back, there are just too many forwards. That's not even including Jurco and Ferraro. There has to be a deal coming and coming soon...

Edited by LeftWinger

Kid needs to stay. Datsyuk is coming back, Franzen is still out, sit Andersson for AA. When Richards comes back, we have a decision to make, that is for sure.

I have a feeling though that AA will be sent down and be back and forth all year. Once Dats and Richards is back, there are just too many forwards. That's not even including Jurco and Ferraro. There has to be a deal coming and coming soon...

Yes sir. Agreed.

I've been extremely high on Athanasiou for quite some time now, but everyone should temper their expectations just a little. He is a young kid riding a high right now, but you have to remember he is just 21 years old. Remember how awesome Jurco was when he first came into the league? Remember how fast fans turned on him as soon as he showed any signs of struggle? Athanasiou will at some point go through similar struggles, I just hope they manage this kid better than they did / still are with Jurco...