• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

11/10 GDT : Washington Capitals at Red Wings, 7:30 EST

Rate this topic

Yea minutes were off.

I think that was forseeable when we play teams that have high end goal scorers. I wonder how the minutes looked when we played Stamkos.

I'd assume Glendenning probably had high minutes against Tampa too.

Yea minutes were off.

I think that was forseeable when we play teams that have high end goal scorers. I wonder how the minutes looked when we played Stamkos.

I'd assume Glendenning probably had high minutes against Tampa too.

You are spot on. Only Zetterberg played more than Glendening and Miller. Only 1 goal given up in 2 games to Tampa and Washington. Pretty impressive. We spend all this time arguing about our 4th line, and it turns out they're really our 1st line! I guess we all kind of look stupid now...

I understand that the replay was inconclusive but the league needs to implement a rule where they have room for discretion when making a call. Everyone knew the puck went into the net in relation to his glove, I mean the puck was almost in back of the net not just over the line. It is the rule so I can't be mad but theirs no reason to not get the right call when you can

Thought our D was horrible last night. Especially Kronner. Their spacing and coverage was horrible. How many times are you going to leave one of the best players (with one of the deadliest shots) in the world (Ovie) open on the circle for an uncontested one-timer?? On multiple occasions Kronner had help down low, but was leaving Ovie wide open. I mean WIDE.OPEN!! Kronner not only was leaving the passing lane to him wide open, but the spacing was so bad that he couldn't even contest the shot. Even with a one-timer, D should be able to get a stick/body in the shooting lane if they are spaced correctly. Luckily, our PM stood on his head and delivered a world class performance otherwise we would have lost.

Also, very disappointed in Big E thus far. I thought he would have thrived under Blash this year. It's early yet, so hoping he comes around.

I think the defense was fine. I think on the PP leaving the one time shot to Ovie was a strategy to give Mrazek a clear look and he was prepared for it everytime. Ovie had chances on the PP and the one time shot late in the game that were the only dangerous chances. Defensively they played one of their best games imo but their is still a lot of room for improvement moving the puck up ice and offensively

Honestly Kronner was the only guy last night on the defense that I thought could have played better

I think they let ovi have the wide open shots because they trusted mrazek to make the save if he could see it. And he did.

Fifteen times.

The defense cleared the front of the net, and didn't allow too many second chances.

Either the game plan to let Mrazek see his shots worked perfectly, or the defense failed. But I think they just let him have the clear path so Mrazek didn't have to worry about deflections or seeing his shot.

That strategy seems to be working really well out in Montreal.

As for the goal.

It sucks.

Its a complete disregard for common sense, but that's technically the right call. The only shots that show the puck in the net doesn't show where it is in correlation to the red line. But they need to fix that. And im sure they will.

In a few years.

CTfeLluUsAAjYZb.jpg

Maybe Toronto thought there was some other puck in the net.

I didn't see the beginning of the game so I missed the replays, but this picture doesn't necessarily show a puck in the net to me. It looks like it could be on the goal line.

Edit: I think the highlights here show the puck in though:

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/videos-alex-ovechkin-had-15-shots-against-the-detroit-red-wings

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

CTfeLluUsAAjYZb.jpg

Maybe Toronto thought there was some other puck in the net.

1. I can't tell if that's actually the puck (I assume it is)

2. I can't tell if the puck is fully across the line (other angles demonstrate it from what I've seen)

3. From an unbiased perspective, this image does not conclusively overturn the call. (couple it with other angles though...)

I think the defense was fine. I think on the PP leaving the one time shot to Ovie was a strategy to give Mrazek a clear look and he was prepared for it everytime. Ovie had chances on the PP and the one time shot late in the game that were the only dangerous chances. Defensively they played one of their best games imo but their is still a lot of room for improvement moving the puck up ice and offensively

Honestly Kronner was the only guy last night on the defense that I thought could have played better

Maybe. But if the strategy is to let one of the most deadly shooters in the game take 8+ uncontested one-timers from 20 feet away....your strategy is broken. I get giving the goalie a good look at shots, but let's be real, on most normal nights when Ovie has that many shots, he usually has two goals.

in regards to the pics above, the red line is the same width as the red pole, which, BTW, is parallel with the red line....thus you can clearly see that the puck is well behind both the red post AND the red line. As a matter of fact you can see the color difference on the ice of the red line and the puck fully behind it. Fortunately this didn't change the outcome of the game for us, but I agree, something different has to be done. Whatever happened to the NHL putting the sensor chip in the puck? The chip would trip a colored light when it passed over the red line then another when it fully cleared the line into the net. If the puck hit the line and came back out, the light (or indicator) would simply just turn back off. Indicator on when it is crossing the line, goal indicator when it enters the net fully. Simple.

Maybe. But if the strategy is to let one of the most deadly shooters in the game take 8+ uncontested one-timers from 20 feet away....your strategy is broken. I get giving the goalie a good look at shots, but let's be real, on most normal nights when Ovie has that many shots, he usually has two goals.

What's wrong with the strategy? If you haven't notice, no other strategies seem to stop him from scoring either, so at the very least it's a wash.

It's Ovechkin, there's really not much that can be done with him. We shut him out, once, so for the time being I'd say we handled him just fine.

Complaining about our defense when we just shut out one of the most potent offendes in the league. I'm usually the first to complain about the defense but to me it looks like their finally coming into their own. We have 3 well balanced pairs. I don't think the pairs have looked this good in years

1. I can't tell if that's actually the puck (I assume it is)

2. I can't tell if the puck is fully across the line (other angles demonstrate it from what I've seen)

3. From an unbiased perspective, this image does not conclusively overturn the call. (couple it with other angles though...)

Come on. If it's behind the red post tucked under the padding and you can clearly see space in between the goal post and the padding where the puck is, then it's across the line.

I cant tell if this is a picture.

I cant tell if this is a picture of hockey.

From an unbiased perspective, this image does not conclusively tell me this is a goalie, a goal post, and a puck inside the net that the post is part of.

Give me a break. Farking thing was in. Overly obvious it was in. Not debateable. Horendous call.

Edited by Bill Berzeench

in regards to the pics above, the red line is the same width as the red pole, which, BTW, is parallel with the red line....thus you can clearly see that the puck is well behind both the red post AND the red line. As a matter of fact you can see the color difference on the ice of the red line and the puck fully behind it. Fortunately this didn't change the outcome of the game for us, but I agree, something different has to be done. Whatever happened to the NHL putting the sensor chip in the puck? The chip would trip a colored light when it passed over the red line then another when it fully cleared the line into the net. If the puck hit the line and came back out, the light (or indicator) would simply just turn back off. Indicator on when it is crossing the line, goal indicator when it enters the net fully. Simple.

That's assuming that the red line in parallel with the top of the photo. We can't see what angle the red line is or the other post so all we can see is the puck beside the post. There's a video that I posted that I think shows the puck in the net so there's no real need to argue about the photo, but it's certainly not a clearcut shot despite Bill's attempts to try to mock SDavis35.

The other bit of common sense on this one is that goalies don't flip the puck out of the crease - they cover it or pick it up. If you flip it out you're just offering up a rebound. You flip it if it's in the net as an Oh f***!

As for the strategy of letting Mrazek see OV shoot - I thought it looked like that too. It could be a good idea - cover every other option and they'll go to him and your goalie's prepared. But....in Blashill's postgame, his criticism was that they gave up "way too many PP shots to OV" (paraphrase) so it seems that this probably wasn't the plan, haha.

I was a little rediculous for the Caps to keep going to OV in the same spot. I know he's one of the best goal scorers, but there was the one segment where he took 3 identical shots with identical setups in a matter of seconds. Everyone knows it's going there - why not switch sides or something, skate around with it, try to throw it in front. But, hey, it usually works for them.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

I was a little rediculous for the Caps to keep going to OV in the same spot. I know he's one of the best goal scorers, but there was the one segment where he took 3 identical shots with identical setups in a matter of seconds. Everyone knows it's going there - why not switch sides or something, skate around with it, try to throw it in front. But, hey, it usually works for them.

I was going to say something similar to this.

This was the exact reason why Ovie went through his slump for almost 2 or so seasons. The league had figured him out (till he ended up switching from RW to LW or whatever it was). Just as a corollary to that , I feel like Mrazek figured him out over the course of the game.

I'm not saying that Ovie is all of a sudden easy to read and is somehow going to go through a similar slump. All I'm saying is.. 15 shots is great and everything but after a while, in a 60 minute game, the goalie is going to read the same strategy much more quickly. A lot of Mrazek's saves on Ovie were nearly identical.

Mrazek is a smart kid, he knew what was going to happen almost every PP.

Washington could have scored had they done something different.

But at times it seemed like they wanted Ovie to break the record more than get a goal to tie it up hah.

Edited by kickazz