• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

amato

New NHL all-star game format

Rate this topic

From McKenzie on Insider Trading:

Theres going to be a 3-on-3 mini-game format for the All-Star Game. The National Hockey League Players Association recently signed off on that format, and the expectation is that the League will be making some sort of formal announcement about it tomorrow.

"What we believe to be the case is that the fantasy draft will be dead. Instead, there will be four divisional teams nine or 10 skaters apiece, a couple of goaltenders. The two teams in the Eastern Conference would play a 20-minute mini-game. The two teams in the Western Conference would play a 20-minute mini-game. And then you would have the two winners play a 20-minute mini-game.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading~752250

The mix up is interesting.. it definitely needed one, but this seems like it could get boring fast. I imagine there will be notable snubs too. And also, more goalies will make it.

I hope I'm wrong and it's as exciting at 3v3 OT has been the whole time.

Either way, I'm glad they keep finding ways to mix up the all-star game.

They should try out bigger nets during the all-star game. Not sure why they don't use this game to test more things.

Heard an interview with Scotty Bowman the other day, where he suggested increasing the space behind the night and reversing the trapezoid to increase scoring, I personally thought that was genius from the genius.

I'm in favor of this actually, this is cool.

As long as theres some sort of bragging rights and player unity involved its much more interesting.

I don't think our division won't fare very well but it doesnt really matter haha. (although, a Datsyuk,Stamkos,JVR line would be killer)

Top line guess:

Pacioretty - Datsyuk/Eichel - Stamkos

Subban - Karlsson/Markov

Price/Mrazek

Just dawned on me thats a 5-5 lineup haha

Edited by WingsallTheway

I'm in favor of this actually, this is cool.

As long as theres some sort of bragging rights and player unity involved its much more interesting.

I don't think our division won't fare very well but it doesnt really matter haha. (although, a Datsyuk,Stamkos,JVR line would be killer)

Top line guess:

Pacioretty - Datsyuk/Eichel - Stamkos

Subban - Karlsson/Markov

Price/Mrazek

I don't ascribe to the whole west is best thing. Just like I never ascribed to the whole East is tough thing. Sure the race is tighter in the west, but I don't think that's necessarily an indication of superiority. It only indicates similarity.

The east has plenty of stars and especially in the All-star game we're evenly matched if not arguably better.

I honestly don't see any Red Wings forward making it to the all star game. Maybe Nyquist or Tats.

I feel like even if Datsyuk or Zetterberg made it, they would somehow opt out of it.

Last year was a true back seat for Z and D not playing the PK. Not that that's a bad thing. It's time for other players to step up and fill in. This year I wouldn't mind if they missed the ASG, or any of our players. ASG is kind of a joke/waste of time IMO.

I honestly don't see any Red Wings forward making it to the all star game. Maybe Nyquist or Tats.

I feel like even if Datsyuk or Zetterberg made it, they would somehow opt out of it.

Doesn't at least one player make it from each team? Do you think it's one of our goalies then, if no forwards make it?

They should try out bigger nets during the all-star game. Not sure why they don't use this game to test more things.

I haven't watched an All Star game in a while, do they still score 9 goals a game? It might be difficult to tell the effects with a sample size of 1.

I dunno, this sounds like an awful idea to me, personally. Don't get me wrong, 3 on 3 OT I think has been an awesome way to reduce shootouts while (despite what some may think) still maintaining the integrity of the game. Its also fast as hell. But one way to wear the novelty off really quickly is to turn on a fire-hose and spray 3 on 3 hockey full blast into fans' faces, ala the Winter Classic and Stadium Series. Its just one event, but I can see myself losing interest in watching 3 on 3 OT hockey after seeing entire mini games played out in the same way after the All Star break.

Also, with All-Star games, the ice is naturally open. Players aren't really trying to play fast, and that's the whole point of 3 on 3. Its fast-paced. With everyone on the ice in All-Star mode, I can see this turning out to be 100 breakaways in a 20 minute period, where the only guy who's actually skating is the one with the puck.

Finally, several players have come out and said they don't like 3 on 3 OT. I can't imagine them playing too enthusiastically for a whole 20 minute game of it.

But whatever, I've never been interested in the All-Star event to begin with, so I'm likely not going to end up watching anyway.

The words convoluted and utterly unnecessary come to mind.

Dude.

The all star game has become so boring lately.

And I don't see the winning team taking the money, so more than likely it will go to a charity.

None of this sounds like a bad idea at all.

If it doesn't work they can change it next season as quick as they did this season and nothing is harmed.

I don't watch All Star Games, so I don't have a strong opinion on what happens. I think what makes 3 on 3 so great, is that it's only 5 minutes. Any longer would be over kill.

Or, so exciting you piss your pants AND your friends pants.

and then never talk to those friends again, because you just pissed on them.

But it'll be exciting.

Let me b**ch as well.

Wouldn't 10 skaters playing a 20 minute period result in guys having to log tons of minutes during that period? You basically have two lines and two defensive pairings per team. Each skater would have to average 10 minutes of ice time in the period! Hardly the "off night" the ASG is supposed to be. Either guys won't want to play or guys will be hot dogging it out there.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Let me b**ch as well.

Wouldn't 10 skaters playing a 20 minute period result in guys having to log tons of minutes during that period? You basically have two lines and two defensive pairings per team. Each skater would have to average 10 minutes of ice time in the period! Hardly the "off night" the ASG is supposed to be. Either guys won't want to play or guys will be hot dogging it out there.

Actually, it looks like they are going for 3 3-men units (2 F 1 D) so each will get 6-7 min of ice time. 13-15 min if they play in 2 games. Hardly anything new for these guys, they all probably log 18+ min per game normally.

In other news, next year ASG will feature basketball on ice. :P

Actually, it looks like they are going for 3 3-men units (2 F 1 D) so each will get 6-7 min of ice time. 13-15 min if they play in 2 games. Hardly anything new for these guys, they all probably log 18+ min per game normally.

In other news, next year ASG will feature basketball on ice. :P

So it's basically a cheap gimmick?

Isn't that what the all-star game has always been? At least recently anyway..?

That's true, but it's always been wide open and full of goals. That's not the problem.

The only way the game will become interesting is if they make it competitive. A game full of All Stars playing competitively is only seen in the Olympics. That's fun. A gimmick game where nobody tries or cares is not fun, whether it's 5 on 5 or 3 on 3.

They need to look for ways to make the game competitive, so that we can see the best players giving their best.

The game used to be pretty awesome...not so much anymore, but it's not because the game or format or efforts have changed, it's because I've changed, I've grown up.

As a kid, I loved allstar weekend (still like some of the skills comp), but the game gave me the chance to see all the starts playing at once. It wasn't often that I got to see a lot of them (there was no Centre Ice back then).

Anyway, I think people just need to accept it for what it is....kids love it, leave it for the kids. Trying to improve it is a waste of time. Trying to make it competitive where guys will try harder is not the right move.

The game used to be pretty awesome...not so much anymore, but it's not because the game or format or efforts have changed, it's because I've changed, I've grown up.

As a kid, I loved allstar weekend (still like some of the skills comp), but the game gave me the chance to see all the starts playing at once. It wasn't often that I got to see a lot of them (there was no Centre Ice back then).

Anyway, I think people just need to accept it for what it is....kids love it, leave it for the kids. Trying to improve it is a waste of time. Trying to make it competitive where guys will try harder is not the right move.

Why not? Because of injuries?

That's true, but it's always been wide open and full of goals. That's not the problem.

The only way the game will become interesting is if they make it competitive. A game full of All Stars playing competitively is only seen in the Olympics. That's fun. A gimmick game where nobody tries or cares is not fun, whether it's 5 on 5 or 3 on 3.

They need to look for ways to make the game competitive, so that we can see the best players giving their best.

I agree. Maybe they should try something like baseball has done and give whatever conference wins the all-star game home ice advantage in the final.. thoughts?