• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rick zombo

Jurco on Conditioning Assignment in GRs

Rate this topic

I really feel like power forward takes the longest to develop out of any player besides maybe d-man. I agree with those who say he was brought up too early, but I feel like there is still a dynamo in there.

My what the hell lines lol:

Richards-Larkin-Nyquist

Tatar-Zetterberg-Helm

Jurco-Datsyuk-Pulkinen

Sheahan-Glendenning-Abdelkader

What the hell? Hideous

I really feel like power forward takes the longest to develop out of any player besides maybe d-man. I agree with those who say he was brought up too early, but I feel like there is still a dynamo in there.

My what the hell lines lol:

Richards-Larkin-Nyquist

Tatar-Zetterberg-Helm

Jurco-Datsyuk-Pulkinen

Sheahan-Glendenning-Abdelkader

Good morning, just want to thank you for posting, made me start the day with a laugh, which is never wrong.

You wanna put a 35 year old Brad Richards winging "superspeed" Larkin? Take a short pause and envision him trying to skate to keep up to even count as part of the offensive. He'd have a heart attack or fake an injury up until summer.

Good morning, just want to thank you for posting, made me start the day with a laugh, which is never wrong.

You wanna put a 35 year old Brad Richards winging "superspeed" Larkin? Take a short pause and envision him trying to skate to keep up to even count as part of the offensive. He'd have a heart attack or fake an injury up until summer.

Richards is the type of player who uses his head over his physical gifts, he's more or less been that type of player his whole career and he's scored 91 points twice. That wasn't because of his speed.

It reminds me of how jiri hudler was one of, If not the worst skater on the wings for many years and now he's on a line with Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan(two pretty damn fast skaters) and he's scoring 70+ points a year.

If you can anticipate where the plays going to be, you can get a head start on it.

Do you think Igor larionov, (or even kozlov for that matter) could skate half as fast as feds?

(Hudlers break out turns are at the center ice line, cuz by the time Monahan or Johnny skate out of their zone they sync up at the blue line, which is hilarious)

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

I don't like argument that slower players can't participate in the same play as quicker players. It's not like the game is a fast-forwarded version of normal hockey when Helm is on the ice. He isn't going to be throwing all of his passes three feet ahead of slower players. The main thing a quick player changes about the game is he is more likely to keep the play alive after a rebound generates a 50/50 puck in the corner, he's more likely to force turnovers on an aggressive forecheck or negate an odd-man rush on the backcheck, and he's going to back defenders off when he's flying through the neutral zone which opens up the blue line a bit more. Occasionally he'll get a breakaway, but that's an individual activity, not a team one, so it doesn't matter if Richards isn't keeping pace with him (unless 2 on 0s are the expectation). But his speed isn't going to make cycling awkward, or make slower players irrelevant. It should generate more opportunities for slower players to cycle though, and with that comes more chances at the net.

I don't like argument that slower players can't participate in the same play as quicker players. It's not like the game is a fast-forwarded version of normal hockey when Helm is on the ice. He isn't going to be throwing all of his passes three feet ahead of slower players. The main thing a quick player changes about the game is he is more likely to keep the play alive after a rebound generates a 50/50 puck in the corner, he's more likely to force turnovers on an aggressive forecheck or negate an odd-man rush on the backcheck, and he's going to back defenders off when he's flying through the neutral zone which opens up the blue line a bit more. Occasionally he'll get a breakaway, but that's an individual activity, not a team one, so it doesn't matter if Richards isn't keeping pace with him (unless 2 on 0s are the expectation). But his speed isn't going to make cycling awkward, or make slower players irrelevant. It should generate more opportunities for slower players to cycle though, and with that comes more chances at the net.

According to your logic, I would assume Blashill would play Richards on the wing which Larkin centers. He does what he thinks is most beneficial to the team, right? That should mean that line would come up at some time during the season.

If it does, nod to you, great organizer of talent. However I would put that chance to 0%. Meaning I deem it as the exact opposite.

I guess time will tell.

According to your logic, I would assume Blashill would play Richards on the wing which Larkin centers. He does what he thinks is most beneficial to the team, right? That should mean that line would come up at some time during the season.

If it does, nod to you, great organizer of talent. However I would put that chance to 0%. Meaning I deem it as the exact opposite.

I guess time will tell.

You're incorrectly assuming that what I mentioned is the only thing that applies when determining who works with whom. If speed was the only beneficial factor on the ice I'm sure we'd see all our speedsters would be paired with the best offensive players we have (which I personally don't think includes Richards). But hockey IQ plays a role as well. So does the ability to protect the puck. So does the ability to pass, to shoot, to play defensively, to play smart, etc, to have balance over four lines instead of just one, and chemistry between players is dynamic and changes all the time, which is why we rarely see lines in tact for a whole season despite early success. As long as Larkin is scoring a goal a game, I don't think any coach will change his line up, even if he was with Glendening and Miller. When his line cools off, we'll probably see some new looks. Larkin with Richards is one possibility. (For the record Zetterberg is one of the worst skaters in the league, but that hasn't hampered his point total, or Blashill's desire to pair him with te younger, quicker, Larkin)

I say give it 3 more games or so and Jurco should be given another shot with Pulkinnen sitting. My worry is Blashill will not make the obvious lineup changes and make a line of Richards-Datsyuk-Jurco or something. Jurco on the third and one of Nyqvist or Tatar moved to Dats wing and we have the ideal lineup

I think Pulkinnen is a good NHLer and deserves to play, but with this roster it makes no sense

Pulkinnen saw some 4th line time last game, I imagine it's him we'll see sit.

I agree. If Jurco is going to play he needs to play with some skill players, no point in plugging him onto the 4th line to rot. I don't think there is anything wrong with him and Pulk battling for a spot.

He was expected to be playing again tonight in Grand Rapids... I'm assuming he's not now with the Red Wings playing tomorrow afternoon, not to mention 3 games in less than 3 days would be a bad idea.

Excited to see what he can do now that he seems to have regained some confidence again. I just hope he's given the opportunity (more than one game) with competent linemates, somewhere in the middle 6. I'd still like to see that Tatar - Shehan - Jurco line reformed again.

He was expected to be playing again tonight in Grand Rapids... I'm assuming he's not now with the Red Wings playing tomorrow afternoon, not to mention 3 games in less than 3 days would be a bad idea.

Excited to see what he can do now that he seems to have regained some confidence again. I just hope he's given the opportunity (more than one game) with competent linemates, somewhere in the middle 6. I'd still like to see that Tatar - Shehan - Jurco line reformed again.

If they take Miller out and put Jurco with Helm and Glendening, he will excel.

I say give it 3 more games or so and Jurco should be given another shot with Pulkinnen sitting. My worry is Blashill will not make the obvious lineup changes and make a line of Richards-Datsyuk-Jurco or something. Jurco on the third and one of Nyqvist or Tatar moved to Dats wing and we have the ideal lineup

I think Pulkinnen is a good NHLer and deserves to play, but with this roster it makes no sense

Blashill mentioned at the start of the season that he wanted Tatar and Nyquist to be responsible for their own line and to carry it. I'm too lazy to find the quote so you'll have to trust me. Unless coach has changed his mind, I think this is why he tries to avoid playing either of them with Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

It's fun watching you and krsmith advocate for Jurco while espousing the exact opposite strategies.

P.S. I'm rooting for Jurco to excel upon his return to the Wings.

Yah, we both like Jurco, but we have different opinions on what makes him a success. I think he's been good his whole time in the NHL, despite not always scoring. KR wants more offense out of him at the NHL level.

Why would you want Jurco to play on the 4th line? I understand wanting him in the lineup and if theirs no room in the top 9, but their is room. You think he would be more useful as a grinder?

I think our top 9 should include Jurco, but I REALLY think our top 12 should include Jurco. Right now, its like Miller has a permanent irreplaceable spot in our lineup and there are only 11 spots to compete for. I almost feel like we'd play with 11 forwards and shorthanded during shifts where Miller would be playing if he were to miss any games to injury. It's ridiculous to me that Miller plays over Jurco EVER.

I think our top 9 should include Jurco, but I REALLY think our top 12 should include Jurco. Right now, its like Miller has a permanent irreplaceable spot in our lineup and there are only 11 spots to compete for. I almost feel like we'd play with 11 forwards and shorthanded during shifts where Miller would be playing if he were to miss any games to injury. It's ridiculous to me that Miller plays over Jurco EVER.

Yeah I get it... Thought you meant you'd rather see him on the fourth line even if Pulkinnen is sitting

Don't you have a specific thread to keep your Miller hate now?

I think when Jurco is back, Pulk should sit a few games. Jurco on the 4th line doesn't make any sense. This offseason, let Callahan take Miller's spot. You don't replace a guy who you use to kill penalties with a guy you want scoring. Miller has his spot in the lineup because he fulfils his role. Trust me, the coaching staff knows more than you.