• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rick zombo

Jurco on Conditioning Assignment in GRs

Rate this topic

Considering the verbal spats on here regarding Jurco, I thought this warranted a thread. Have we been talking about this? I haven't come across much discussion.

Anyway, the WiiM folks take a run at implying he may have been battling a physical issue. Pure speculation, of course.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2015/11/17/9751212/tomas-jurco-to-grand-rapids-for-a-conditioning-stint-detroit-red-wings

I think Jurco is actually one of our most promising prospects still, despite these set backs. He's proven he can play the physical game and I believe he can be a net front presence as well. This is on top of his natural shooting and dangle ability. He'll be fine. He has a wide range of tools.

He was rushed a bit to the NHL. Some type to develop more could be exactly what lights the fire under his butt.

he needs to play. GR needs the help too! They are having an even worse time than the RW's at scoring. They are one of the best in the AHL in terms of shots taken. Nothing is going in at all...... That and the G play has been subpar.

Could this conditioning stint be some sort of loophole for him to stay in GR without going through waivers?

Yes it could be. It's been done in the past. But this can only last 14 days. And he's back to the Wings after that.

I believe with waivers you don't need to tell the player about it when you're planning to send him down. With a conditioning stint you need the players permission.

But Jurco really could have been injured. I personally get the feeling that Blash is trying to "re-develop" him short term and get him tons of minutes in GR and re-try him on the Wings roster.

All of this is only working in Jurco's favor. I like it.

Edited by kickazz

He needs this. When Jurco is on the ice, it looks like he doesn't know how to play the game anymore. Unfortunately I think he probably needs a whole year in Grand Rapids, and not just 14 days. But at the very least hopefully this stint is able to boost his confidence up a bit, get him playing hockey like he's more capable of, and maybe even help the Griffins turn their season around with him as a leader over there.

A lot of speculation on injury (nagging back issues) and whether the Wings are trying to use some magical loophole to avoid waiving Jurco. Fact is, even on a conditioning stint he counts as a roster player -- so that's not the case.

If it is a nagging back issue, Ultimately I think it's to get Jurco back into game situations. The guy's been practicing with the Wings, but that's not the same as ice time.

14-Days isn't going to be enough to turn around his play, but it could be enough to at least get it jump-started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So when Richards is back are we going to send down AA and continue to sit Jurco?

I'd like to know what this "long term plan" is for him because I don't see a conditioning stint solving everything. It did get kindl going but he also had the drive to ask babs for an opportunity. Drove me nuts when kindl delivered after his stint and then got benched.

I havent seen anything from Jurco that ever said he is ready for the NHL

2013-14 he looked ready

So when Richards is back are we going to send down AA and continue to sit Jurco?

I'd like to know what this "long term plan" is for him because I don't see a conditioning stint solving everything. It did get kindl going but he also had the drive to ask babs for an opportunity. Drove me nuts when kindl delivered after his stint and then got benched.

I also believe that the "long term plan" is a re-development of sorts. Blash said they could stick him in a game here or there, but they wanted him to stick once he's there. Just speculating, but the conditioning stint could be the run-up to having him stick with the team then - like a 2nd preseason. Agreed on Kindl.

I think AA will be sent down when Richards comes back unless he starts producing. He's looked great to me, but just hasn't put up other than that big goal.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

I have never watched Jurco in GR. however from what I see of him at an NHL level, I don't get the love of him being a good prospect.

1. #35 overall in his draft year. That's very high.

2. Played very well in GR under Blash.

3. He made the team at 21. Way sooner than most all of our prospects.

4. Hyped by all his dangle videos on youtube.

5. Hits everything that moves.

A lot to like about the kid. He seems to be a complete package type player. Just needs to gain some confidence at the NHL level.

ya, cause I don't see any of that. unfortunately. how the eff can we possibly play andersson at times over jurco???

Hey bud, you're the one who asked why he's a loved prospect.

Andersson is better defensively than most will admit. Jurco hits a lot, but I think he gets caught over skating the play sometimes. Still, I agree I'd rather watch him play than Andy.

DRWD, I'm pretty confident you're not alone in never seeing him play in Grand Rapids. I'm also pretty confident that the ones that are so willing to give up on the kid at the first sign of struggle, are in the same boat as you.

There's no question the guy was rushed into the league long before he was ready. Any kid can come in and look ready after a few weeks. At that point you're still running on adrenaline. Turn the page to a new season, and it was clear he should have spent all of last season down in GR. A lot of fans could see it, but for whatever reason, Babcock was adamant about keeping the kid in Detroit, and playing him on the 4th line... There is no situation where it is more beneficial for a skilled guy like Jurco to play 4th line grinder in the NHL over 1st line scorer in the AHL. It was a rare misuse of a top prospect by the organization and now Blashill is doing everything he can to get the kid back on track.

Jurco has struggled, but not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. He had one "bad game" against Carolina, but the other three he looked good. He has one assist in 4 games, which isn't great, but not too bad for a player "struggling" as bad as he is. That's also one more point than two players (Andersson and Ferraro) he's been scratched in favor of, that have a combined zero points in 21 games.

I still believe that there's more to it than Blash just sitting him every game as a healthy scratch. I think there must have been some sort of flare up in his back again and he's planning on getting him back into the lineup, starting with some conditioning in GR.

Tomas Jurco has this amazing talent of not being visible on the ice despite being a good sized 22 year old who should be able to run to the moon and squat pyramids.

I don't know why maybe he's injured maybe he's bad or maybe he's just bored.

We need to get a grip on this guy. Hopefully some games in GR shows what's up with this individual.

Tomas Jurco has this amazing talent of not being visible on the ice despite being a good sized 22 year old who should be able to run to the moon and squat pyramids.

I don't know why maybe he's injured maybe he's bad or maybe he's just bored.

We need to get a grip on this guy. Hopefully some games in GR shows what's up with this individual.

Hopefully it's just a nagging injury or something, I don't think he's bored...

Purely speculating, but I think he lacks confidence. I can't understand why at this point we haven't seen him whip out some mad dangles. Clearly he has the ability, but he doesn't even try it.

If Datsyuk could train Jurco as a apprentice, This kid has the skill set to be datsyuk-esq, he just dont know how to use it on the ice. On the bright side he's only 22 and thats quite young for the recently old detroit red wings squad were used to.

I think it's been hammered into his brain by coaching to simplify his game and take the body as much as possible. He could be such a huge part of this team (literally) if he could have a Nyquist-like breakout year

There must be plans with him. No way they would have him scratched even after injuries cleared room for him perfectly. Either injury or not showing up to camp in shape. What's with it being kept hush hush, tho it's very strange

Seems there's a steady stream of these types within the Wings organization.

I'm hoping AA stays in Detroit - that kid has wheels, and hopefully Blashill will get him on a line with Dats/Larkin.

Im hoping we get Svechnikov up next year, and his brother 3 years later. A little early, but:

Jurco-Larkin-Athanasiou

Mantha-Svechnikov-Svechnikov

Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist

Abdelkader-Glendening-Helm

Marchenko-Dekeyser

Jensen-Smith

Ouellet-Kindl

Mrazek